What's On The Plates - Sunday April 2 - Saturday 8

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Squash blossom and zucchini risotto with a garnish of cheese stuffed squash blossoms.

20230406_185836.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Well, that's interesting, Karen! I've only made squash blossoms stuffed, battered and fried. Did you cut some up to put in the risotto? Did you eat the whole ones? Did you like this?

Lee

I sliced up 6 to put in the risotto. The risotto was good, but the squash blossom taste is so delicate that you really can't taste it as a separate flavor.

I stuffed 6 of them, 3 for me, 3 for Craig. I found a recipe that used pimentos, Feta and cream cheeses. Won't use that recipe again as the feta totally overpowered the squash blossom flavor. But, yes, we ate them. I'll stick with a ricotta or farmer's cheese to stuff next time. Maybe even crab and some roasted red bell instead of the pimento.

I've fried them before in a very light tempura type batter, but I wanted to try something different.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I sliced up 6 to put in the risotto. The risotto was good, but the squash blossom taste is so delicate that you really can't taste it as a separate flavor.

I stuffed 6 of them, 3 for me, 3 for Craig. I found a recipe that used pimentos, Feta and cream cheeses. Won't use that recipe again as the feta totally overpowered the squash blossom flavor. But, yes, we ate them. I'll stick with a ricotta or farmer's cheese to stuff next time. Maybe even crab and some roasted red bell instead of the pimento.

I've fried them before in a very light tempura type batter, but I wanted to try something different.

Cudos for even finding the suckers! I had to grow some.

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Today I'm eating vegetarian.
Not sure what yet 🤔
We're probably going to have another vegetarian meal tonight if Craig can tolerate that, LOL. I cooked a whole box of penne rigati the other night and ended up only using half of it, so bagged and refrigerated. We've got some fresh frozen porcini in the deep freeze and I was thinking about using that.

If he can't deal with 2 vegetarian meals in a row, we'll have a ramen bowl with some char sui beef from the freezer, with some veges.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Kasey and I did late lunch at Cabin Fever coffee house.
I got a caprese panini and a small broccoli, onion raisin salad, she got the same sandwich with a bowl of butternut squash soup.
Kid hates it when I take phone pics while eating, sooo 😂

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Tonight we are having creamed hard boiled eggs on toast and I’ll have Falls Brand Lumberjack Breakfast Sausage on the side. Creamed eggs are a Easter breakfast tradition for my wife’s family.
Thanks for this Post. The last time I had these,
I was no older that12- My mom use to make this.
This surely brought me back.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tonight we are having creamed hard boiled eggs on toast and I’ll have Falls Brand Lumberjack Breakfast Sausage on the side. Creamed eggs are a Easter breakfast tradition for my wife’s family.

Oh, definitely post pics! And recipe.

Lee