Did you know?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
North Carolina barely avoided tragedy in 1961. On January 24th, A B-52 carrying two powerful Mark 39 nuclear bombs broke up mid-flight. Two bombs fell and landed just miles from Goldsboro. If they detonated, there would be no North Carolina as we know it today. In comparison, these bombs were 200-300 times more powerful than the ones that obliterated Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Food_Fact_Full~2.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Candy Land was created 70 years ago to give kids stuck in polio wards a way to vicariously move freely in the pursuit of delights. The original board featured a boy in a leg brace about to walk through starting gate of the game.

Johnny West

IMG_1856.jpeg

Not exactly. Toilet paper having been around since at least the 6th century AD (initially in China), it wouldn’t be until the late 19th century when toilet paper would be first introduced in America and England and it wasn’t until the 1900s, around the same time the indoor toilet became common, that toilet paper would catch on with the masses.
People would clean off with water, rags, wood shavings (ouch!), leaves, hay, rocks, sand, moss, sea weed, apple husks, seashells, ferns, and pretty much whatever else was at hand and cheap/free. They also used corn cobs and, later, Sears and Roebucks, Farmers Almanac, and other catalogs. The Farmers Almanac even came with a hole in it so it could be easily hung in bathrooms for just this purpose… reading and wiping material in one!
Quilted Northern, formerly Northern Tissue, advertised as late as 1935 that their toilet paper was “Splinter-Free!”

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Beethoven and President Theodore Roosevelt loved coffee

Many high-profile people are ardent coffee lovers, and history is filled with many of them. One of them was Beethoven, who made sure that each cup was made exactly with 60 beans, although we have no idea the number of cups he drank per day.

However, we do know that former U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt drank a gallon of coffee each day. Don’t ever attempt to do the same!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
A few "Celebrities" who drank themselves to death ...

Daniel Webster, O. Henry, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Franklin Pierce, Mussorgsky, W.C. Fields,

Sinclair Lewis, Dylan Thomas, Joseph McCarthy, Billie Holiday (cirrhosis of the liver, NOT an OD),

Jack Kerouac, Clyde McPhatter, Veronica Lake, John Bonham, William Holden (Blood loss from laceration suffered from a fall while inebriated), Richard Burton, Alexander Godunov, Townes Van Zandt, George Best, Amy Winehouse, David Cassidy, Verne Troyer (Mini-Me in the Austin Powers films - Alcohol Depression led to Suicide)

Johnny West

A few "Celebrities" who drank themselves to death ...

Daniel Webster, O. Henry, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Franklin Pierce, Mussorgsky, W.C. Fields,

Sinclair Lewis, Dylan Thomas, Joseph McCarthy, Billie Holiday (cirrhosis of the liver, NOT an OD),

Jack Kerouac, Clyde McPhatter, Veronica Lake, John Bonham, William Holden (Blood loss from laceration suffered from a fall while inebriated), Richard Burton, Alexander Godunov, Townes Van Zandt, George Best, Amy Winehouse, David Cassidy, Verne Troyer (Mini-Me in the Austin Powers films - Alcohol Depression led to Suicide)
Oliver Reed

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Charles Lindbergh was best known for his historic flight across the Atlantic, but he also invented something totally unrelated to flight.

A Heart Pump !

His sister had a serious heart condition, and he developed the glass perfusion pump, a precursor to the cardiopulmonary bypass machine, a type of artificial heart. The pump was used to keep blood circulating through the body while the heart was being operated on.

1.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Popcorn Lung

Popcorn lung is a rare condition that can be caused by breathing in diacetyl, which is the buttery-flavored chemical found in foods like popcorn. Although other chemicals can also cause popcorn lung, after numerous cases popped up among workers in microwave popcorn factories (hence the name), major popcorn manufacturers removed diacetyl from their products. Treatment limits symptoms, but popcorn lung is considered life-threatening.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Songs you probably didn't know were written by Carol King :

“He Hit Me (and It Felt Like a Kiss)” – The Crystals (1962)
“Take Good Care of My Baby” – Bobby Vee (1961)
“Go Away Little Girl” – Steve Lawrence (1962)
“Chains” – The Cookies (1962)
“Porpoise Song (Theme From ‘Head’)” – The Monkees (1968)
“Up on the Roof” – The Drifters (1962)
“If It’s Over” – Mariah Carey (1991)
“I’m Into Something Good” – Herman’s Hermits (1964)
“Don’t Bring Me Down” – The Animals (1966)
“The Loco-Motion” – Little Eva (1962)
“Will You Love Me Tomorrow” - the Shirelles (1960)
“One Fine Day” - The Chiffons (1963)
“Pleasant Valley Sunday” - the Monkees (1967)
"Goin’ Back" - Dusty Springfield (1966)
'Crying In the Rain' - the Everly Brothers (1962)
'Oh No Not My Baby' - Maxine Brown (1964)
'Wasn’t Born to Follow' - the Byrds (1968)
Hi-De-Ho (That Old Sweet Roll)' - Blood, Sweat & Tears (1970)
'Some Kind of Wonderful' - the Drifters (1961)
'(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman' (1967)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Songs you probably didn't know were written by Carol King :

“He Hit Me (and It Felt Like a Kiss)” – The Crystals (1962)
“Take Good Care of My Baby” – Bobby Vee (1961)
“Go Away Little Girl” – Steve Lawrence (1962)
“Chains” – The Cookies (1962)
“Porpoise Song (Theme From ‘Head’)” – The Monkees (1968)
“Up on the Roof” – The Drifters (1962)
“If It’s Over” – Mariah Carey (1991)
“I’m Into Something Good” – Herman’s Hermits (1964)
“Don’t Bring Me Down” – The Animals (1966)
“The Loco-Motion” – Little Eva (1962)
“Will You Love Me Tomorrow” - the Shirelles (1960)
“One Fine Day” - The Chiffons (1963)
“Pleasant Valley Sunday” - the Monkees (1967)
"Goin’ Back" - Dusty Springfield (1966)
'Crying In the Rain' - the Everly Brothers (1962)
'Oh No Not My Baby' - Maxine Brown (1964)
'Wasn’t Born to Follow' - the Byrds (1968)
Hi-De-Ho (That Old Sweet Roll)' - Blood, Sweat & Tears (1970)
'Some Kind of Wonderful' - the Drifters (1961)
'(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman' (1967)

Most of those were in the musical about her, "Beautiful".

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Paul Revere wasn't the only "Midnight Rider" that night !
Revere was just the better-known person that night. Actually there were many on that ride with him including: Samuel Prescott, Israel Bissell, William Dawes, and Sybil Ludington. Unfortunately, some of them had problems along the way. Dawes lost his horse after trying to jump a wall, but continued on foot. Prescott had been captured by the British, but managed to escape and make it to Concord Massachusetts to warn the American patriots there. Ludington, only 16 years old at the time, rode into New York colony to warn patriots of the British. Israel Bissell supposedly made it all the way to Philadelphia with the news, but there is some controversy about how far he truly rode.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Now the iconic symbol for an idea, the electric incandescent light bulb was independently produced in the late 1870s by Joseph Swan and Thomas Edison—and perhaps earlier by others. However, Edison has received the major credit for this invention because he also developed the power lines and other equipment needed for a lighting system. Financed by the likes of J.P. Morgan and the Vanderbilts, Edison achieved success using a carbon filament in his design.

Johnny West

Did you know?​

The November full moon is known as the Beaver Moon.

November's name comes from the Latin word novem, meaning ‘nine’. This month was originally the ninth month of the early Roman calendar.

On 5 November every year after nightfall in the village of Shebbear in Devon, villagers approach a huge stone close to the village church. As the church bells peal they set to work to turn the stone over. It is believed that the devil lives under the stone, and ‘turning the Devil’s boulder’ is meant to avert bad fortune. Interestingly the stone is not of a type found locally and may therefore have been transported there in ancient times for some ritualistic purpose.