Did you know?

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
The Myth: Arabic numerals originated in Arabia.
The Fact: The numbering system we use today actually originated in India. It was later
brought to Arab lands, where Westerners first encountered them and labeled the numbers
“Arabic.”
Interesting! I always assumed they came from Rome! 🤷

Ironman

🍺
In Deliverance, Billy Redden, who played the young banjo-playing local, didn’t know how to play banjo.
To make it look real during that “dueling banjos” scene, a musician hid behind and played the chords with his left arm in Billy's sleeve while Billy picked with his right.

IMG_9156.jpeg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Kentucky was originally part of Virginia, but on June 1, 1792, Virginia gave Kentucky permission to break off and become the 15th state of the United States.

West Virginia was admitted to the Union on 6/20/1863, and was a key border state during the Civil War. It was the only state to form by separating from a Confederate state.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
The 9/11 Memorial "Tear Drop" sit's directly across from NYC, in Bayonne New Jersey, just the other side of the Statue of Liberty, yet we hear nothing about it. This absolutely beautiful, 100 ft. tall monument was gifted to the people of the United States by the people of Russia in 2006, in memory of all those who lost their lives on that fateful day, September 11, 2001.
The breaking in the cracked facade forms the shape of the two towers. The giant suspended tear drop signifies the tears of the entire world that day.

1-1.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The 9/11 Memorial "Tear Drop" sit's directly across from NYC, in Bayonne New Jersey, just the other side of the Statue of Liberty, yet we hear nothing about it. This absolutely beautiful, 100 ft. tall monument was gifted to the people of the United States by the people of Russia in 2006, in memory of all those who lost their lives on that fateful day, September 11, 2001.
The breaking in the cracked facade forms the shape of the two towers. The giant suspended tear drop signifies the tears of the entire world that day.

View attachment 60772

Wowwwww, how beautiful!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
This Just In ;
There’s no denying that elephants are extremely intelligent creatures. Now, African Elephants are proving that they’re even smarter than we’re led to believe. According to recent research done by experts and Colorado State University, wild African elephants may be able to speak to each other with a unique sound that would be comparable to humans calling each other by a name.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
In the western Caribbean, there’s a fault zone which created the Cayman Trough, also known as the Cayman Trench. Which is five miles deep at its deepest point.

If you put your boat over that deepest point and dropped a 15-pound bowling ball over the side, it would take an hour and a half for the ball to land on the bottom.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
The Bob Fitzsimmons vs. Tom Sharkey match of 1896 is not much remembered for the contestants. It made the referee nationally famous as the press accused him of outright cheating.
That referee was Wyatt Earp .

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
From today's T or C...

The voyages of early explorers were often thwarted because crews suffered from scurvy, a disease caused by lack of vitamin c.
Columbus' ship stocker loaded large quantities of vitamin c-rich pickles on the three ships.
What's more, America's name is derived from the name of the man who stocked the ships-Amerigo Vespucci, who became an explorer and map maker himself.

Johnny West

Did you know?​

The October full moon is known as the Hunter's Moon.
October’s name comes from the Latin word octo, meaning ‘eight’. This month was originally the eighth month of the Roman calendar.
On 7 October 1754 William Davies became lost in the Hampshire countryside on his way home. When Twyford’s church bells rang out, he realised he was heading the wrong way and pulled up – on the edge of a quarry. In gratitude, he left a pound for a peal of bells to be rung annually with a feast for the bellringers. The funds ran out long ago but the tradition remains.
x.png

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
On a human level, the Vietnam war was disastrous—an estimated 2 million Vietnamese civilians were killed, and over 1 million Vietnamese soldiers lost their lives. Over 2.7 million Americans served in the war and 58,318 died, with thousands more going on to suffer from the lifelong impacts of post-traumatic stress disorder, a poorly understood affliction at the time.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Did you know that in the 11th century, facts were actually considered sacrilegious? It's true! The notion of presenting truth as something to be questioned or examined was seen as a challenge to religious authority.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On a human level, the Vietnam war was disastrous—an estimated 2 million Vietnamese civilians were killed, and over 1 million Vietnamese soldiers lost their lives. Over 2.7 million Americans served in the war and 58,318 died, with thousands more going on to suffer from the lifelong impacts of post-traumatic stress disorder, a poorly understood affliction at the time.
Agent Orange also devastated many who served in Vietnam. I was exposed and was suffering the affects for decades without realizing I was exposed. I found out last February my ship was in Agent Orange 3 different times. The Government finally admitted we were exposed years ago but did not notify us. I found out from a shipmate on a FB group.

edit to add:
Someone asked me to post what Agent Orange causes.
Ischemic heart disease. Myocardial infarction, Benign essential hypertension, Diabetes mellitus type 2 with complications, Papillary thyroid carcinoma

And maybe more.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Agent Orange also devastated many who served in Vietnam. I was exposed and was suffering the affects for decades without realizing I was exposed. I found out last February my ship was in Agent Orange 3 different times. The Government finally admitted we were exposed years ago but did not notify us. I found out from a shipmate on a FB group.

edit to add:
Someone asked me to post what Agent Orange causes.
Ischemic heart disease. Myocardial infarction, Benign essential hypertension, Diabetes mellitus type 2 with complications, Papillary thyroid carcinoma

And maybe more.

Oh, man, Doc! All that sounds pretty serious! Thank you for sharing. And thank you for your service.

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
On March 12, 1961, a character named Dennis the Menace debuted twice, on either side of the Atlantic, mere hours apart, and by two people who had never met.

So, here's the story from the American perspective first: In March 1951, a cartoon called Dennis The Menace began, syndicated across 16 newspapers at first, about a little boy in Wichita, Kansas. Dennis Mitchell, the hero, is five and a half.
Also in March, and also in 1951, the Beano comic, a staple of British childhoods since 1938, began their new cartoon series, called Dennis the Menace. There is no possibility that either of the creators of either comic strip could have known that the other was being created.
The UK Dennis does not have a surname, nor does he accidentally find himself creating trouble wherever he goes. He does create the trouble, but it's entirely on purpose. He's the self-style wildest boy in the world. A real anti-hero. This Dennis is older than his namesake, and much, much tougher.

LastManStanding

On March 12, 1961, a character named Dennis the Menace debuted twice, on either side of the Atlantic, mere hours apart, and by two people who had never met.

So, here's the story from the American perspective first: In March 1951, a cartoon called Dennis The Menace began, syndicated across 16 newspapers at first, about a little boy in Wichita, Kansas. Dennis Mitchell, the hero, is five and a half.
Also in March, and also in 1951, the Beano comic, a staple of British childhoods since 1938, began their new cartoon series, called Dennis the Menace. There is no possibility that either of the creators of either comic strip could have known that the other was being created.
The UK Dennis does not have a surname, nor does he accidentally find himself creating trouble wherever he goes. He does create the trouble, but it's entirely on purpose. He's the self-style wildest boy in the world. A real anti-hero. This Dennis is older than his namesake, and much, much tougher.
First time I heard there's two of them. Maybe I've seen both, but didn't realize they were different. Need to find a few episodes from both.