Whats Everyone Drinking Tonight!?!?

Johnny West

“I love jammy, tannic red wines.” Me, too….

R. Crumb

54358BF1-B1BD-4AD3-B240-E193CD313B44.jpeg
A5B46680-4B94-40B7-B316-D20C20D3DA7F.jpeg

Johnny West

Yesterday Andy and I went to the hotel bar for happy hour but all they had for a happy hour beer was a pils which he had. I opted for a Fat Tug IPA which had overtones of grapefruit. I liked it and had two. Strong ale….

44910495-C2FE-46A8-BDB0-E12D6660B24E.jpeg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
We werre preparing for Wine Club. Tasted all these wines to find good food pairings.

View attachment 58385
The theme for the next wine club is Ancient World - Old World - New World.
The earliest confirmed evidence of wine making is in Georgia, about 8,000 years ago. It was fermented in Qvevri, which are huge clay vessels, the predecessors to the Roman amphora.

I found one Qvevri amber wine, the first one in the pic. They are very tannic, with lots of apricot and herbal notes.

I have 3 white wines - an old world French Chablis, a new world double-oaked chardonnay from Argentina, and a Georgian white wine from old grapes made in a modern style.

Then we have 3 reds - an old world Right Bank, merlot-dominant Bordeaux - a new world Paso Robles Merlot - and a Georgian wine from ancient grapes, but made in the new world style.

Tonight we were choosing food bites to pair with the wines. We seleccted grilled olives for the Mtsvane, hummus on pita for the Tsinasdali, grilled shrimp for the Chablis, mushroom risotto for the double-oaked Chardonnay, and a smoked gouda for all of the red wines. The comparison with the same cheese on 3 version of red wine was excellent.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The theme for the next wine club is Ancient World - Old World - New World.
The earliest confirmed evidence of wine making is in Georgia, about 8,000 years ago. It was fermented in Qvevri, which are huge clay vessels, the predecessors to the Roman amphora.

I found one Qvevri amber wine, the first one in the pic. They are very tannic, with lots of apricot and herbal notes.

I have 3 white wines - an old world French Chablis, a new world double-oaked chardonnay from Argentina, and a Georgian white wine from old grapes made in a modern style.

Then we have 3 reds - an old world Right Bank, merlot-dominant Bordeaux - a new world Paso Robles Merlot - and a Georgian wine from ancient grapes, but made in the new world style.

Tonight we were choosing food bites to pair with the wines. We seleccted grilled olives for the Mtsvane, hummus on pita for the Tsinasdali, grilled shrimp for the Chablis, mushroom risotto for the double-oaked Chardonnay, and a smoked gouda for all of the red wines. The comparison with the same cheese on 3 version of red wine was excellent.
Sounds wonderful! How were the grilled olives prepped and grilled?

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Sounds wonderful! How were the grilled olives prepped and grilled?

Lee
My partner-in-crime for putting together this month's wine club had seen something called 'grilled olives' at Trader Joe's. We thought it might be interesting, but had no idea how they did it. So I coated my panini griddle with olive oil, skewered a few olives together, and pressed them in the grill. They picked up a little bit of grill marking, and we ate them warm with the Mstvane wine. The high tannins in the wine were great with the salty olives.

Johnny West

I got a bottle of 2Bar for Father’s Day and the Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook from John and Meg. I’ll have to look the bourbon up on the net. It’s 100 proof and I’m not used to that.

33ED4DE2-07D8-4DB6-B41D-1E43359DD546.jpeg
8D321B84-660D-4AB7-9033-9D267E9883B0.jpeg