Whats Everyone Drinking Tonight!?!?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌾🌼
Gold Site Supporter
On the recent advice of my Doc, she told me to stick with low acid beers.
I've had an ulcer which thank God is gone.
I never have acid reflux really.
Here is a list for those of you who need to be advised on low acid beers, and who are taking ulcer meds, which thankfully, I no longer have to.

Sam Adams Boston Lager gets my ok.
Tonight I'm trying Miller High Life.
It's on the list and is the only beer my son Ty drinks.
I like it.
It's a little foamy, it's light and tastes ok.

IMG_20230627_172926313.jpg

Johnny West

On the recent advice of my Doc, she told me to stick with low acid beers.
I've had an ulcer which thank God is gone.
I never have acid reflux really.
Here is a list for those of you who need to be advised on low acid beers, and who are taking ulcer meds, which thankfully, I no longer have to.

Sam Adams Boston Lager gets my ok.
Tonight I'm trying Miller High Life.
It's on the list and is the only beer my son Ty drinks.
I like it.
It's a little foamy, it's light and tastes ok.

View attachment 59008
Miller is one of my favorites and all I bought while in college. I would drive over The River to a little liquor store in Wisconsin and get a cardboard box with 24 returnable bottles, fresh from Milwaukee. Those were the days.

Last night it was two Old Fashioned’s using Alpine Spur Whiskey. My recipe uses a sugar cube soaked with a tsp of water, several shakes of orange and plain bitters, then crush and dissolve the sugar. I chill two or three shots of bourbon and add to the glass. I wipe the rim of the glass with orange rind and add, but dispense with cherry. Nancy bought silicone big block ice cube trays which are popular in bars and use them now.

IMG_5766.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made my first shandy this hot afternoon. Chilled glass, half Miller Lite, half 0 calorie lemonade. Refreshing, but I think I'd like it better with better lemonade.

Lee

shandy.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm heading to Wine Club tonight. It will be all about Spanish wine & food pairings.

The first month, in May, I did it all myself. Sent the evites, managed the reservations, selected the wines, paired and prepared the foods, wrote the tasting notes, bought the supplies, etc.

The next month, June, I had a helper. I sent the evites, selected and bought the wines, managed the reservations, bought the supplies, wrote the tasting notes, helped her create pairings. She actually bought & prepared the foods. It was actually easier since I didn't have to prep the tastings.

This month, July, I told them I would be away and needed someone else to coordinate. Two couples volunteered to team up and take it over. In the end, I sent the invitations, managed the reservations, bought the supplies, selected & bought the wines before I left, wrote the tasting notes, helped them create the pairings. They bought and are preparing the foods.

Today I got a last minute call - they couldn't find Spanish Manchego or chorizo. I picked up the chorizo, and swapped the Manchego for Iberico cheese. I'm really not sure how much more 'help' this team was.

Tonight we have to pick the theme for next month - I don't think I want volunteers!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm heading to Wine Club tonight. It will be all about Spanish wine & food pairings.

The first month, in May, I did it all myself. Sent the evites, managed the reservations, selected the wines, paired and prepared the foods, wrote the tasting notes, bought the supplies, etc.

The next month, June, I had a helper. I sent the evites, selected and bought the wines, managed the reservations, bought the supplies, wrote the tasting notes, helped her create pairings. She actually bought & prepared the foods. It was actually easier since I didn't have to prep the tastings.

This month, July, I told them I would be away and needed someone else to coordinate. Two couples volunteered to team up and take it over. In the end, I sent the invitations, managed the reservations, bought the supplies, selected & bought the wines before I left, wrote the tasting notes, helped them create the pairings. They bought and are preparing the foods.

Today I got a last minute call - they couldn't find Spanish Manchego or chorizo. I picked up the chorizo, and swapped the Manchego for Iberico cheese. I'm really not sure how much more 'help' this team was.

Tonight we have to pick the theme for next month - I don't think I want volunteers!!!
Geez! Lot of work for you! I take it that the fun you have is worth it!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Geez! Lot of work for you! I take it that the fun you have is worth it!

Lee
Yes, I knew it would take some effort to get it started. I figure that for the first year, I will have to 'baby it'. After we stabilize, we should be able to rotate the leadership each month. So far, I seem to be the only one comfortable to select wine & food pairings, but everyone seems to want to learn.

I may keep buying however, since I get 20-30% off on everything I buy from Total Wine. That let's us enjoy better wines and still keep the costs manageable.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I knew it would take some effort to get it started. I figure that for the first year, I will have to 'baby it'. After we stabilize, we should be able to rotate the leadership each month. So far, I seem to be the only one comfortable to select wine & food pairings, but everyone seems to want to learn.

I may keep buying however, since I get 20-30% off on everything I buy from Total Wine. That let's us enjoy better wines and still keep the costs manageable.

How'd it go last night? What's the theme for next month?

Lee

Johnny West

We never did have anything for dinner. After the late lunch and trip to Seattle we were both tired. While I napped she put together the fixings of two loaves of rye bread. I then started on two batches of madeleines for a Monday funeral. I mixed the batter, have it in the refrigerator, and will bake tomorrow afternoon. I just now finished dishes and made myself a large Old Fashioned. It could use more bitters and another lump.

IMG_5811.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We never did have anything for dinner. After the late lunch and trip to Seattle we were both tired. While I napped she put together the fixings of two loaves of rye bread. I then started on two batches of madeleines for a Monday funeral. I mixed the batter, have it in the refrigerator, and will bake tomorrow afternoon. I just now finished dishes and made myself a large Old Fashioned. It could use more bitters and another lump.

View attachment 59292

Tell us your recipe for the perfect Old Fashioned.

Lee

Johnny West

I just looked it up on the net… one sugar cube on the bottom of a rocks glass, one tsp of water on the sugar cube as well as several shakes of bitters ( I like a lot). I smash the sugar cube, then add two shots of bourbon and a big block ice cube. Tonight I am having Canadian Whiskey for a change.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just looked it up on the net… one sugar cube on the bottom of a rocks glass, one tsp of water on the sugar cube as well as several shakes of bitters ( I like a lot). I smash the sugar cube, then add two shots of bourbon and a big block ice cube. oz. Tonight I am having Canadian Whiskey for a change.

I haven't seen a sugar cube since I was little (long time ago). I think maybe a teaspoon of sugar might suffice.

Thanks, John!

Lee

Johnny West

I haven't seen a sugar cube since I was little (long time ago). I think maybe a teaspoon of sugar might suffice.

Thanks, John!

Lee
H-Mart has a good section and last ones she bought were from Amazon. I never pay attention to them in our regular stores.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This ridiculous heat means it's time for chilled rose.

I asked the wine guy at the package store to pick me out a dry one, and it's lovely!

Sitting out in my backyard in the 86 degree sunset after dinner, in my garden, with my cat, sipping my cracklin' Rosie.

Lee
IMG_20230717_190820.jpg

Johnny West

After we we left hospital we walked to Timothy O’Toole’s for beer. I had two Old Style cans and an order of onion rings. The rings gave me a moderate heart burn.

IMG_5905.jpeg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A friend brought over this special bourbon.
Jefferson’s ocean.
Its been in a ship aging as it sailed the seven seas.
Smoothest and most expensive i’ve ever tasted.

IMG_9139.jpeg
IMG_9140.jpeg
IMG_9143.jpeg
IMG_9141.jpeg