Did you know?

Johnny West

IMG_4396.jpeg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Sweden wants to make pesky EV chargers a thing of the past.

The Nordic country is building the world’s first permanent electric road that will recharge the batteries of cars and trucks as they’re driving on it, as reported by Elektrek. The Swedes have already piloted four temporary electrified roads, but this 13-mile stretch will be, well, concrete.

The new e-highway, which is set to be complete in just two years’ time, will increase vehicle range on the go and reduce the need for lengthy charging pitstops. The project is being spearheaded by Trafikverket, though the Swedish transport administration has yet to settle on a contractor and the tech that it will use.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Wow ! ... Didn't know this ...
Laika, the first animal in space,died from overheating before her oxygen ran out while still in space.

The Soviets never intended to retrieve Laika's capsule, which created a controversy outside the Soviet Union. At first it was believed that Laika simply perished from oxygen deprivation, but in 1998 it was reported that she died when the cabin overheated on the fourth day. In 2002 a Russian scientist reported that in 1957 it was "practically impossible to create a reliable temperature control system" for the cabin before the launch took place. In 1958 Laika's body and Sputnik 2 disintegrated on re-entry. In 2008 a statue and plaque were set up in Laika's memory at the Russian space training base.

LastManStanding

Wow ! ... Didn't know this ...
Laika, the first animal in space,died from overheating before her oxygen ran out while still in space.

The Soviets never intended to retrieve Laika's capsule, which created a controversy outside the Soviet Union. At first it was believed that Laika simply perished from oxygen deprivation, but in 1998 it was reported that she died when the cabin overheated on the fourth day. In 2002 a Russian scientist reported that in 1957 it was "practically impossible to create a reliable temperature control system" for the cabin before the launch took place. In 1958 Laika's body and Sputnik 2 disintegrated on re-entry. In 2008 a statue and plaque were set up in Laika's memory at the Russian space training base.
As I always do, I read a lot about this after your post. But actually found nothing to the effect that the overheating story is reliable. Searched for citations, and found that many of the citations are just blank, or someone's personal ideas only, not based on any facts. But I will not give up. I'll read more. :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sweden wants to make pesky EV chargers a thing of the past.

The Nordic country is building the world’s first permanent electric road that will recharge the batteries of cars and trucks as they’re driving on it, as reported by Elektrek. The Swedes have already piloted four temporary electrified roads, but this 13-mile stretch will be, well, concrete.

The new e-highway, which is set to be complete in just two years’ time, will increase vehicle range on the go and reduce the need for lengthy charging pitstops. The project is being spearheaded by Trafikverket, though the Swedish transport administration has yet to settle on a contractor and the tech that it will use.

This is really out-of-the-box thinking! Brilliant! Roads of the future???

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
As I always do, I read a lot about this after your post. But actually found nothing to the effect that the overheating story is reliable. Searched for citations, and found that many of the citations are just blank, or someone's personal ideas only, not based on any facts. But I will not give up. I'll read more. :D
I think I found that at the Neil deGrasse Tyson site

Johnny West

Man! I'm binge-watching Northern Exposure on Amazon Prime Video, and loving it even more the second time around. The actual filming was not done in Alaska, but in Roslyn, WA "because of its uncanny resemblance to an Alaskan locale".

I cannot conceive of -83 degrees.

Lee
We’ve not been to Roslyn but will this spring. We don’t like driving I-90.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
The largest black hole found so far lies at the heart of the gigantic superluminous quasar known as SDSS J0100+2802, with its massive accretion disk of matter burning more brightly than that of any other known quasar. J0100+2802 is said to have formed approximately 900 million years after the Big Bang.

J0100+2802 has around 3,000 times the mass of Sagittarius A*, the supermassive black hole that sits at the center of our Milky Way galaxy, and millions of times larger than our sun.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Wow! Michigan has 129 lighthouses!

Lee
When Jeff and Ty were kids, we used to take summer trips up into Michigan.
My favourite lighthouses were Point Betsie, Grand Haven, and the one at Whitehall.
Point Betsie is on the dunes, Sleeping Bear dunes.
I have a picture somewhere of Ty fishing off the pier of Grand Haven.
Whitehall's Bay is crystal clear for very far out into the water, with pebbles for wading.