Did you know?

Johnny West

IMG_3838.jpeg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Everyone knows that the whale is a mammal, but what few know is that a small whale is breastfed, but not through direct contact like other land mammals...
Instead, the female whale throws away her milk while her child is near her to breastfeed, but whale milk has a high-fat content of 50%. Therefore, the form of milk is thick and sticky and does not dissolve in water.
So the baby whale can grab and eat the milk. A perfect breeding geometry.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When Albert Einstein stayed at a Japanese hotel in 1922, he found himself without any cash for tips. So he scribbled two notes and handed them to the bellhop, reportedly telling him, “One day these will be worth something.” They sold in 2017 for $1.56 million.

I wanted to know what Einstein wrote on the notes, so I looked it up.

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,” appeared on the first paper, while he wrote, “Where there's a will, there's a way,” on the second sheet of paper. He wisely added, in parting to the bellboy, that the notes surpassed the value of a tip."

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
We may be getting ready to ring in the new year, but those living at Jamestown 400 years ago would think we were about 3 months too early! In the 17th century, England and her colonies still used the Julian calendar, which marked the beginning of the new year on March 25.

Because it had been endorsed by the Pope, England was reluctant to embrace the new calendar. England and her colonies held on to the inaccurate Julian calendar for another 170 years before finally adopting the Gregorian calendar in 1752.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
The Horse Manure Problem of 1894
The 15 to 30 pounds of manure produced daily by each beast multiplied by the 150,000+ horses in New York city resulted in more than three million pounds of horse manure per day that somehow needed to be disposed of. That’s not to mention the daily 40,000 gallons of horse urine.
In other words, cities reeked. As Morris says, the “stench was omnipresent.”

13.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
"Albert Einstein’s first wife Mileva (Mitza) Marić was also a brilliant physicist. They met at the Polytechnic Institute of Zurich, where she had fought for special permissions to attend and where she received higher marks than Albert. Mitza put in as much if not more work on their theories but wasn’t credited because Albert told her their works wouldn’t get published with a woman’s name on them.
Many of his lecture notes are in Mitza’s handwriting, and Albert was once heard at a party saying, “I need my wife, she helps solve all of my mathematical problems.” 80% of Einstein’s famous works were published during this marriage, referred to as his “magic years.” Those magic years ended abruptly after they divorced due to his infidelity and abandonment."

1.jpg

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
The term "Cotton Pickin'" does not refer to cotton fields, but rather to this lady :
Elizabeth “Libba” Cotten was born on this day in 1893. Through her songwriting and unique left-handed, upside-down playing style on guitar and banjo, Cotten has influenced generations of musicians. "Cotton Picking !"

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
"Albert Einstein’s first wife Mileva (Mitza) Marić was also a brilliant physicist. They met at the Polytechnic Institute of Zurich, where she had fought for special permissions to attend and where she received higher marks than Albert. Mitza put in as much if not more work on their theories but wasn’t credited because Albert told her their works wouldn’t get published with a woman’s name on them.
Many of his lecture notes are in Mitza’s handwriting, and Albert was once heard at a party saying, “I need my wife, she helps solve all of my mathematical problems.” 80% of Einstein’s famous works were published during this marriage, referred to as his “magic years.” Those magic years ended abruptly after they divorced due to his infidelity and abandonment."

View attachment 63620
Well THAT sheds a different light on Einstein! Good for her! 🥰