What are you eating Sunday 12/25/2022 to Saturday 12/31/2022?

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Merry Christmas every one, or/and Happy Holidays.
Like Peep- Hot water Tank broke, also the heater Broke-
Thank God I live in Sunny CA.
My Pilipino neighbors Across the street, next door,
are trying to fatten me up.

xmas22 phil.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Bean and cheese enchiladas.
Super easy.
Flour tortillas ,Goya refried beans, chopped onion, Mexicali brand red enchilada sauce, Velveeta cheese sauce, and shredded Monterey jack cheese.
Definitely a keeper!

I used the portrait setting on my camera for the plated pic.
😋

IMG_20221225_171739740.jpg
IMG_20221225_172645897_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Christmas dinner - with a couple of friends over. You've seen it before I think. Deconstructed Beef Wellington.
Filet mignon, cooked to medium rare. Topped with a mushroom/shallot/truffle/cognac duxelles. A slice of seared foie gras. A spoonful of bordelais sauce. Topped with a hat of puff pastry.

Served with a salt baked potato and peeld sous vide asparagus.

Dessert was creme brulee.

20221225_175253.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Christmas dinner - with a couple of friends over. Yove seen it before I think. Deconstructed Beef Wellington.
Filet mignon, cooked to medium rare. Topped with a mushroom/shallot/truffle/cognac duxelles. A slice of ser=ared foie gras. A spoonful of bordelais sauce. Topped with a hat of puff pastry.

Served with a salt baked potato and peeld sous vide asparagus.

Dessert was creme brulee.

View attachment 54975

A slice of foie gras??? Wow, Kathy!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's real disappointing when your equipment fails you. Which method do you use? Reverse sear?

No, did the opposite, the Joy of Cooking method. Put roast into a 550 oven then immediately turn it down to 350. It's never failed me.

I wanted mine to turn out like Medtran's beautiful roast!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
No, did the opposite, the Joy of Cooking method. Put roast into a 550 oven then immediately turn it down to 350. It's never failed me.

I wanted mine to turn out like Medtran's beautiful roast!

Lee

Thanks. I did it at the temps we have always done, 200 and 1 hour per pound, 500 for sear. We had always done the hot sear first, but I decided to do it as a reverse sear this time because Serious Eats says they did tests and more moisture was lost at the hot then low temps than with the reverse sear. It sat and rested for about an hour before the hot sear while the sides cooked in the oven.

I ended up cooking just a bit less than an hour per pound for a temp of 123 when we pulled it to rest covered with foil and a dish towel. I have started checking the temp about an hour before it is supposed to be done. It was 108 with the instant read, which was something else Serious Eats recommended using versus a leave in probe since the probe itself being metal will conduct heat into your meat. We let it cook for 30 minutes more and got to 123. Once the sides were done, turned oven up to 500, let the oven get all the way up to that, then it took about 5 minutes to get fat cap nice and crispy. Roast was on a sheet pan on a rack at middle rack position, which put top of roast maybe 6 inches from top of oven.

BTW, the center was more toward rare, which is why I like this method. The piece in my picture was cut side up of an end piece.

Oh, the bones had been cut off, but roast was tied back together. Puggins will have a nice treat toward the end of this week when it has warmed back up enough for them to be outside for a while and then get baths.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Water is starting to come back but very low water pressure. I have to go buy a tub stopper so I can fill tub with water. So we can at least flush if it goes off again. DD threw my stopper out by mistake and never told me till now.

Hopefully it stays on so I can cook something tonight.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Water is starting to come back but very low water pressure. I have to go buy a tub stopper so I can fill tub with water. So we can at least flush if it goes off again. DD threw my stopper out by mistake and never told me till now.

We are going through the same agony (No Water)- Handymen are here, I'm getting a new
Hot water tank. Still no heat -I been using my oven to heat the house.
I think I'll have some type of seafood tonight.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Fingers crossed, Peep!

Lee

Embryodad

Whewwww! ..... Finally got a rest from the Christmas celebration.
Beside buying, and prepping and cooking, we had a fabulous meal for the Christmas Dinner.
Turkey, manicotti, ham, a prime rib, and Kielbasa. Mac salad, potato salad; corn, brussels sprouts .
We also had a rash of problems. Frozen pipes at grand daughters place........ Fire trucks next door for carbon
monoxide..... DD's truck wouldn't start, other neighbor's had no heat on two furnaces.
We had 9 different cookies and cakes for dessert. Plus, the goodies we were given by family and other loved ones.
Looks like the rest of the week will be leftovers.
I hope NCT members all had a great holiday.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I made a skillet meal/complete in a bag thing.
It says it's chicken "Alfredo" with red pepper, mushrooms, broccoli. Hardly.
Maybe 4 or 5 tiny pieces of each.
The flavour of anything parmesan or creamy isn't there.
Made Italian green beans on the side.
The best part of the meal lol
IMG_20221227_154702816.jpg