Dinner Thread Sunday September 17 - Saturday 23

Johnny West

Caprese and BLT tonight.
IMG_6673.jpeg
IMG_6676.jpeg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I made chili tonight. Ground beef, onion, orange bell pepper, my house blend AP seasoning, cumin, chili powder, Trader Joe's smoked paprika & hot chilies, McCormick chili seasoning, crushed tomatoes, and red kidney beans. Served over brown rice and topped with parmigiano reggiano & pecorino romano cheeses. Sometimes I top it with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and scallions.

chili_092223_1_IMG_1626.jpg

Embryodad

Last night was a frozen tv dinner. Hungry Man Salisbury steak. Tina had a cup of mashed potatoes and left over meatloaf from the other day.
I don't even want to check my glucose, because I've been grazing after 10:pM . That tv dinner was not enough to satisfy this hungry man. I swear, they are making them smaller in size.
Tina said I should eat some jello. There is always room for jello. Yeah right. Tell that to my stomach.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Bought some Italian sausage from Uncle Giuseppe's Store.
I have plans to cook it, and see how it tastes. It's hard to find good sausage here today.
The stores don't make it anymore.
Is that the store up Rt. 17 north? I haven’t been there yet. Let me know how the sausage is. I miss the little Italian corner store that used to make all the sausage, ravioli, pasta, sauce etc in house. It always smelled like heaven. And a couple doors down was a real bakery. Had bread and pastries. Focchini’s bakery is gone also. :(
The ShopRite in Lyndhurst has in house made Italian sausage (they used to call it Patsy’s sausage). It’s still pretty good.

Embryodad

Is that the store up Rt. 17 north? I haven’t been there yet. Let me know how the sausage is. I miss the little Italian corner store that used to make all the sausage, ravioli, pasta, sauce etc in house. It always smelled like heaven. And a couple doors down was a real bakery. Had bread and pastries. Focchini’s bakery is gone also. :(
The ShopRite in Lyndhurst has in house made Italian sausage (they used to call it Patsy’s sausage). It’s still pretty good.
The store is on rt.10 and 202 east bound side in Morris Plains.
Patsy's is so so..... We can get it here at ShopRite. It's too fine a grind for our liking.
I'll let you know how the G's is. ...... When I was growing up, we always made our own sausage, and salami too.
What ever happened to the $2.10 per LB. ?????????

IMG_2439.jpg

Last edited:

Embryodad

Tried the Italian sausage from Giuseppe's. The PLAIN ( not hot ), was not dry. It was rather lean once the sausage was cooked. Not a bit greasy, and the texture was course, and moist. There was no fennel to flavor, and no hint of garlic.
The HOT sausage was not hot at all. It was colored red from paprika. No fennel, and no garlic flavor. It had the same texture as the plain; which was good. Tina even tasted the HOT, and said it was mildly hot. She would start fanning her open mouth with her hand if it was hot, believe me. LOL. Little more fat than I would like, but that is the belly fat. See the white specks of fat....?
That is what keeps it moist, and I cooked the heck out of it. No grizzle thank Goodness.
IMG_2440.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Pan-fried strip steak (perfect medium rare 125 °F internal temperature), and salad with homemade green goddess dressing (I used Trader Joe's green goddess seasoning).

Homemade Mocha brownies (with chopped pecans in the brownie, and the frosting) for dessert.

strip_steak_092223_IMG_1641.jpg

mocha_brownies_092223_2_IMG_1645.jpg

Last edited: