Who Has Alexa (Amazon Echo Dot) Installed?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just had it installed a few weeks ago It looks like this. You can use it to help control lights, TV's, & things. other things thi Amazon Echo Dot..jpg

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have an entire smart home, and Alexa is the voice interface for all of it. Thermostat, doorbell, security system, garage door opener, Caseta lighting and fan controls, Anova Precision Oven, wi-fi enabled kitchen appliances, smart TVs, and more. One of the greatest features is my grocery list. Just say 'alexa, put milk on my grocery list'. Next time I'm in the store, i can open the list on my iPhone, and not forget anything. Anywhere I am in my house, the garage, the lanai, or the car, I can talk to alexa. My phones, tv remotes, car radio, thermostat, plus 6 echo devices scattered around my house and property, means that wherever I am, I can talk to her.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I love them. Music is an important part of my life, so I use them mostly for music, sometimes to listen to podcasts. I have a dot paired with my stereo system and can play music in five rooms at one time with a box to turn on/off whatever rooms I choose. I occasionally use that one for alarms/timers/reminders too.

I have a regular Echo in the garage, a dot that is paired with an indoor/outdoor speaker on the patio, and another dot in an extra bedroom. I also have a regular Echo by my bed so that I can play Pandora Spa Radio at night.

The sound, for music purposes, from a dot on its own is pitiful in my opinion. The sound from an Echo is much better, and I think it can be used on its own for music.

I don't have any of the smart light bulbs or anything like that. I do love to pick and choose music and make play lists. I know that sounds like a lot of those gadgets, but I bought most all of mine with Black Friday deals.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I love them. Music is an important part of my life, so I use them mostly for music, sometimes to listen to podcasts. I have a dot paired with my stereo system and can play music in five rooms at one time with a box to turn on/off whatever rooms I choose. I occasionally use that one for alarms/timers/reminders too.

I have a regular Echo in the garage, a dot that is paired with an indoor/outdoor speaker on the patio, and another dot in an extra bedroom. I also have a regular Echo by my bed so that I can play Pandora Spa Radio at night.

The sound, for music purposes, from a dot on its own is pitiful in my opinion. The sound from an Echo is much better, and I think it can be used on its own for music.

I don't have any of the smart light bulbs or anything like that. I do love to pick and choose music and make play lists. I know that sounds like a lot of those gadgets, but I bought most all of mine with Black Friday deals.

Yeah, with the smart light bulbs, she'll even turn them to just about any color that you wish!! Lamps would need a plug-in adapter, so that you can have her control them as well!!

Johnny West

I have Alexa but now she wants $3.99 a month for some music I request. I’m loving the old MoTown sounds and she wants money.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm always so impressed with you tech-savvy folks! All I have is a little Google assistant (a retirement gift from a millenial co-worker) in my living room and pretty much just ask it the outside temperature and the height and age of the actors I'm watching on TV.

The more things I have that can go wrong, more stress I'll have. Last weekend, I felt as if I was in the episode of Twilight Zone, where the man's machines were all against him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Thing_About_Machines,

My TV, sound bar, Fitbit-like watch and dishwasher all went. The next day, my cell phone went.

Some things replaced/repaired now, but I still can't get the sound bar to work, and the picture on my new Sony smart TV is jerky when playing back DVR'd shows. Cable company sent me a new router, but I have "technical support fatigue" after being on the phone with 3 companies for hours and hours, so I'm taking a break from stress right now.

*sigh*

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have Alexa but now she wants $3.99 a month for some music I request. I’m loving the old MoTown sounds and she wants money.
Try motown on pandora radio. It's free. Motown sounds on iheartradio is free too, but it's more of a mix than true motown hits.

and the height and age of the actors I'm watching on TV.
:biggrin: there's something I never thought of.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
but I still can't get the sound bar to work,
You may have already tried this. Since you have a new router, unhook all the connections on your sound bar. Once your new router is up and running, go back through the whole process of hooking up the sound bar.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm always so impressed with you tech-savvy folks! All I have is a little Google assistant (a retirement gift from a millenial co-worker)
Lee

Wow, you retired Lee??? I'm sorry I missed that news. Congratulations!!!! That is awesome. I was very leery of leaving my day job but after being out of it a few months I got into the new retirement groove. Now I don't know how I ever had time for work. LOL

I truly hope you are thoroughly enjoying your retirement.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, you retired Lee??? I'm sorry I missed that news. Congratulations!!!! That is awesome. I was very leery of leaving my day job but after being out of it a few months I got into the new retirement groove. Now I don't know how I ever had time for work. LOL

I truly hope you are thoroughly enjoying your retirement.

Well, I enjoyed it more pre-Covid, but still, I love not working!!

Thanks, Doc!

Lee

Reactions: Doc

Cooksie

Site Supporter
so that I can use Alexa to turn them on or off!!
Some other things that I really like about them:
I love the weather notifications for tornadoes and thunderstorms, the timers, and the alarms. I also like, "Alexa, where is my stuff?"

Edit to add: I just thought of something else that I really like. Every day, I listen to the news on Alexa. It's a podcast. I just say, "Alexa, read me the news." When you first set it up, you get to choose where you want your news from.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
You can even listen to songs by your favorite artists!!! Set the timer to time what you are cooking or baking in the oven!! :whistling: