What's On The Plates - 25 September-- 1 October

Jusa

Nothing so far but tea and coffee, though I did make my husband a plate of crispy potato hash with peppers and onions, topped with a slice of American cheese and 3 eggs on top of that. I am still deciding on what I want (yeah, I know, it's after 3 p.m.).

Tonight I think I am going to cook that Mahi Mahi that's in my refrigerator. It's in cryovac packaging so I know it's still fresh. I'll try to remember to take some pics!

Jusa

Forced myself to eat an egg with some of the fried potato hash. It was good!
20220925_152359.jpg

Jusa

View attachment 52956I fried some onions and added last week‘s potato that has been resting in the refrigerator as well as the beet tops. The steak was well done but tasted great. I have a lot leftover for steak sandwiches tomorrow.

View attachment 52955
I've never had beet tops before, are they good?

My experience with beets has been limited and unfortunate. Growing up, my mother only served those spiced canned/jarred ones so I never had a "real" beet and just had this awful memory of those canned ones (which she loved) that my brother and I hated, LOL. From what I understand, it's a mild root vegetable that's pretty good. I like other root vegetables so one of these days I am going to have to give it another go. And the tops sound very nutritious.

I love steak and steak sandwiches are the best! And repurposing leftover potatoes? Brilliant, I say!

Johnny West

I've never had beet tops before, are they good?

My experience with beets has been limited and unfortunate. Growing up, my mother only served those spiced canned/jarred ones so I never had a "real" beet and just had this awful memory of those canned ones (which she loved) that my brother and I hated, LOL. From what I understand, it's a mild root vegetable that's pretty good. I like other root vegetables so one of these days I am going to have to give it another go. And the tops sound very nutritious.

I love steak and steak sandwiches are the best! And repurposing leftover potatoes? Brilliant, I say!
I love beet tops and simmer them like spinach. Look for leafy, healthy tops, and eat the stems, too. I put malt vinegar or balsamic vinegar at the table. My wife bakes the beets till they are tender and cuts up to put on salads. I make pickled beets but haven’t made them in a few years.

Jusa

Mah Mahi on vermicelli with a little white wine and cream sauce, seasoned with tarragon and Cajun seasoning, sauteed yellow bell pepper, mushroom, garlic, then added parmesan cheese. The Mahi Mahi is seasoned with lemon pepper and garlic powder than topped with bread crumbs, butter and sea salt, then baked.

20220925_231728.jpg

Johnny West

Today is National Pancake Day as well as Johnny Apple Seed Day and National Dumpling Day.
My wife is building a sourdough starter and was throwing out the discard. Yesterday I started
saving the discard as there are many uses to include a pancake starter. Tonight I will be making
pancakes for dinner. She talked about making apple dumplings but think that may be to much
sweet food.

Last edited: