What are you doing today?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I worked from 7:30p- 7:00a this morning.
Slept long and hard until around 3pm.
Doing the whole process again tonight.
🙃

Johnny West

We are going to Westport today and will have lunch at Bennett’s Seafood Shack.
Well, that got changed to B.C. We drove to Aldergrove. Nancy picked a seafood place in Abbotsford for lunch. The customs man wanted to know where we were going and told him lunch for fish and chips. He said to go to Moby Dick in White Rock Which was located on the ocean. It was good but not in my top 5.

LastManStanding

I made chili for my church’s Wed. soup kitchen. It’s mainly to feed the
homeless or anyone that wants a hot meal. We had a decent turnout
and all liked the chili. Next month I’ll make either clam chowder or
Italian Wedding Soup.
What's chili? It's made from chillies I can guess, but is it like a paste ? I've seen this term many times before on websites but had no chance of asking.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What's chili? It's made from chillies I can guess, but is it like a paste ? I've seen this term many times before on websites but had no chance of asking.

LastMan, here's how Wiki defines Chili Con Carne, or "chili" for short:

"Chili con carne, meaning "chili with meat", is a spicy stew containing chili peppers, meat, tomatoes and often pinto beans or kidney beans. Other seasonings may include garlic, onions, and cumin. The dish originated in northern Mexico or southern Texas."

There are as many variations as there are cooks who make this dish. In some parts of the U.S., they use cubed beef and no beans. I use ground beef, kidney beans and make mine relatively mildly spicy.

Lee

chili.jpg

LastManStanding

LastMan, here's how Wiki defines Chili Con Carne, or "chili" for short:

"Chili con carne, meaning "chili with meat", is a spicy stew containing chili peppers, meat, tomatoes and often pinto beans or kidney beans. Other seasonings may include garlic, onions, and cumin. The dish originated in northern Mexico or southern Texas."

There are as many variations as there are cooks who make this dish. In some parts of the U.S., they use cubed beef and no beans. I use ground beef, kidney beans and make mine relatively mildly spicy.

Lee

View attachment 53675
Thanks a lot Lee, for explaining it so well.
Here in Sri Lanka different meats are cooked very differently, except at five star hotels. Chicken is cooked spicy or mild, but beef is cooked with a lot of chillies. A beef curry is usually blackish in colour due to pepper and chillies. They also add onions, and sometimes potatoes and carrots too. I think chili is similar to that but Sri Lankan curry has smaller cubes of beef in it, and as the name says it's a "curry." There are many variations too.

Johnny West

My chili is beef hamburger cooked with a can of beer, then add chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and onions… cook till onions are done, then add tomatoes, tomato paste, and beans. I use red kidney beans and pinto beans. I usually add three different kinds of chili powder and if we decide to make it hot I’ll add a canned chipotle pepper or two. A few years ago I won a chili cook off using cubed Chuck steak and no beans. Yesterday’s chili I made using over a gallon of my cooked tomato juice but ended up adding two small cans of diced tomatoes and a quart of V-8 juice to thin it a bit. I got rave review from the street people. 🙄

LastManStanding

My chili is beef hamburger cooked with a can of beer, then add chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and onions… cook till onions are done, then add tomatoes, tomato paste, and beans. I use red kidney beans and pinto beans. I usually add three different kinds of chili powder and if we decide to make it hot I’ll add a canned chipotle pepper or two. A few years ago I won a chili cook off using cubed Chuck steak and no beans. Yesterday’s chili I made using over a gallon of my cooked tomato juice but ended up adding two small cans of diced tomatoes and a quart of V-8 juice to thin it a bit. I got rave review from the street people. 🙄
Looks like I must try it, in a small scale though.

LastManStanding

Can you get Tex Mex types of chili powder in Sri Lanka?
We normally make our own chilli powder. But it's widely available in the market too. I think the Tex Mex chilli powder is a mixture of some other kinds of spices with chilli powder. Checked on the web, and I think all ingredients are available here. I must explore further.

Johnny West

We normally make our own chilli powder. But it's widely available in the market too. I think the Tex Mex chilli powder is a mixture of some other kinds of spices with chilli powder. Checked on the web, and I think all ingredients are available here. I must explore further.
I liked to buy the various chili powders with different degrees of hotness. I have one from India which I use to add hot and add it at the table.

LastManStanding

I liked to buy the various chili powders with different degrees of hotness. I have one from India which I use to add hot and add it at the table.
If it's from India I guess it could be some type of Naga morich. Possibly. According to Wikipedia "It is also one of the hottest known chilli peppers and the only naturally occurring chili pepper that measures 1 million SHU on Scoville scale."
I love this pepper. It's not only the heat, its taste is different too. I have them at home. It can be easily grown.
The hottest pepper is still a US one I think, the Carolina Reaper.
I cut a pepper in to thin strings and deep fry them with garlic and onions. It's a real taste booster. Or I also wok fry fish with this pepper and garlic.

Johnny West

If it's from India I guess it could be some type of Naga morich. Possibly. According to Wikipedia "It is also one of the hottest known chilli peppers and the only naturally occurring chili pepper that measures 1 million SHU on Scoville scale."
I love this pepper. It's not only the heat, its taste is different too. I have them at home. It can be easily grown.
The hottest pepper is still a US one I think, the Carolina Reaper.
I cut a pepper in to thin strings and deep fry them with garlic and onions. It's a real taste booster. Or I also wok fry fish with this pepper and garlic.
We have an Indian shop about 20 miles from us and shop there several times a year. What I got was Hot Indian Chili Powder but nothing noted as to the kind of pepper used. It’s hot and a little goes a long way.

Johnny West

Today is sorting and packing day for our drive to Vegas and wedding.
Yesterday the check tire light came on car so have an 1130 appointment
at Discount Tires to get that sorted. There are a few last minute chores
and will pack car this afternoon and then go out for dinner. I’m wanting
fish and chips again.

I got a call from Alaska saying they were glad I got my bag back. What!?
I called back and said no. They said Delta had it and delivered it. She was
going to double check and then process my claim. It’s always something.

Johnny West

We left home at 0600 in a pouring rain and it rained till way past Mt. Hood.
it was a shame as we’ve never been that close to Mt. Hood and couldn’t see it.
We drove 11 hours on two lane roads. I think tomorrow will be all interstate.

We drove through central Oregon and sometimes there were no gas stations
for over a 100 miles or so. It was all high desert driving with lots of ranches
and miles and miles of sage brush.

Johnny West

Lee, I have over 500 bottles… you should come salmon fishing. We’ll grape out.

the drive into vegas and the strip was harrowing - I need a cold beer, just don’t know where to go.

Jusa

Checked out of the resort today unfortunately. I drove 7 hours and the last hour was at dusk in the pouring rain through the mountains, ugh. We're in the hotel in WV and then only 5 hours back to Akron tomorrow.