What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saliha

:oops:

Seems I used wrong word when described the dough. No its not shortcrust dough but something else. Its more like dry cake dough. Better I will post later the recipe as I can´t find the right word for it.

Custard? I didn´t use custard with cake at all.

Johnny West

:oops:

Seems I used wrong word when described the dough. No its not shortcrust dough but something else. Its more like dry cake dough. Better I will post later the recipe as I can´t find the right word for it.

Custard? I didn´t use custard with cake at all.

That's quite all right, the short crust looks like it would work though - I cheat and use pre-made Pillsbury pie crusts that I roll out a bit. The short crust would be perfect for the Steak and Guinness Pie.

I've made rhubarb pie with a custard filling and that's what the top of yours looks like to me. I didn't realize your was a cake.

This is similar to what I did but used the Betty Crocker recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rhubarb-custard-pie-iv/?mxt=t06dda

Last edited:

Saliha

I am baking cookies:

FXZ65Cs.jpg

Coconut and cinnamon cookies. I could say that I am practising for the Christmas time. :biggrin:

Saliha

Apple pie today:

QvuO4LJ.jpg

I read the thread about Paula Red apples and tried them with this pie. Tasty apples and they work well in the pie too, thanks for this apple thread, Lee.

:thumb:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Saliha, you are an amazing and accomplished cook!

Beautiful!

Lee

Saliha

I made some apple marmelade filled pastries today and apple roses:

Ux9OTOo.jpg

Roses are a little pale variety, :tiphat: but they are tasty anyways.

Saliha

^^ I worked years ago as a web designer. Maybe it has some influence to my pics.

Say "cheeeeeeeeeeeeese"!
smiley_camera_flower.gif

Saliha

My father has tomorrow 85th birthday. I baked the cake:

RQGsoTB.jpg

:wub:

Chocolate cake filled with apricot marmalade. Decorated with chocolate candies.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
this AM it was 59'F in the house....so it's back to "Baking-R-Us"

from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes per Day.... a rye loaf - cut the receipt back from four loaves to one, no caraway seeds for the first attempt.

nice result - loafing was required to go with the corned beef.....

Attachments

• DSC_3962s.jpg
    DSC_3962s.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_3964s.jpg
    DSC_3964s.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC_3968s.jpg
    DSC_3968s.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooo, I would love to have one of those corned beef on rye sandwiches, Chowder!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the rye bread is quite good - DW thinks it needs a bit more ryeness, so I'm gonna' play the the proportions. the recipe said makes four one pound loaves - reduced it to one, felt a bit light, it is a bit small - but it scaled at 15-1/8 ounces after cooling down. next trip I'll do a "two pounder" methinks.

the corned beef is so-so. typically supermarket taste/quality/seasoning. one problem for household=2 is size. that one was near four pounds. it's another round a sandwich and then into the freezer.

anyone with experience in freezing corned beef? better to freeze before / after cooking?

I'm on the warpath to check out all our local "farmers' markets" - they ain't really so farmer anymore.... but some of the wider area butchers make weekly appearances. one offers Berkshire pork - need to see what he has in selection.

our local butcher is excellent for beef, 'commercial' pork and some house made sausage stuff. but he's strictly bread and butter type cuts/offerings - no lamb, no veal, chicken - no duck/goose, etc. it's all local Amish raised so it is tasty - well the chicken is Ohio Amish....not so local, but it is good.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've only frozen corned beef BEFORE cooking, CM.

I love the stuff, so eat the cooked meat until it's gone.

Lee

Johnny West

Apple crisp sounds like the ticket.My rhubarb is still looking good and should make a rhubarb crisp before it's too late. There is so much I could make but then I'd eat it all. :thumb:

Saliha

New version of the basic cookies - coffee & chocolate cookies:

sbbckCS.jpg

They started to smell delicious when chocolate melted in the oven.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
New version of the basic cookies - coffee & chocolate cookies:

sbbckCS.jpg

They started to smell delicious when chocolate melted in the oven.

Saliha,
:wow:

Would you please post this pic and recipe in new thread of it's own?

If so, thanks!

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.