Recipes as found on Facebook

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
" . . . does it work?"

yes, no, sometimes and perhaps.

if you search "tenderize meat with baking soda" it will turn up a lot of hits - most from reputable sites.
the summary of "how it works" varies in detail and actual accuracy - but
- it is a surface treatment
- do _not_ leave it on/soaking for hours/overnight - that is really bad info
- do rinse off the baking soda as a prep step to any other seasoning / cooking

the surface effect is to prevent proteins from tightening up.
- an egg on a hot pan - shrinks up
- fish, most notoriously perch - shrivel/curl when a filet hits the pan
- beef/pork roasts exhibit the same 'shrinking' behavior - which is the source of searing "seals in the juice" myth

imho the technique to keep meats "tender" is
(1) do not cook them at high temperatures
(2) do not overcook.
the best 'everybody done seen this' example is chicken breast. in today's world of mega-chickens, a breast cut can easily be two inches thick. cooked at high temps, by the time the inner bits are done, the outer bits are tough as suede leather.

regrettably, in today's approach of 'instant everything' people wind up with rubber chicken and shoe leather beef....

I'm 'ask we speak' fixing tonight's dinner - chuck pot roast. yesterday I started it - veggies/etc, red wine + water, simmer four hours. today it's warming, where I will fish out the celery and carrots - who have given their all - replace them with fresh celery, carrots and red potatoes (I keep the onions....) - and continue to simmer for four hours.
the chuck cut was heavily seared yesterday - but the long simmer will produce a crust with 'falling off the fork' central meats.

yeah, this is not fast food. but it is really good stuff.
btw, if you go to a nice high end resto, the kitchen staff did not come in at 4PM and fix all the dishes for your table at 6PM ...
just saying . . .

yesterday's start

(oops, message too long . . . you'll have to use your imagination.)
1699555943252.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First - "Washed you meat"?????!!!!! Really? Why would anyone wash meat?

However, here is an article from a place I trust. Appaerntly there is some value in it.
My wife said the same thing. Who washes meat before cooking??? :pat:

Good info Silver Sage and Chowder. Thanks. :tiphat:

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
My wife said the same thing. Who washes meat before cooking??? :pat:
you have to wash off the baking soda - or you'll have an unnice taste treat . . .

and . . . moving right along to 'cooking in real time' - here's the pot roast devoid of old dead veggies, fresh veggies + mushrooms + baby red potatoes fixing for it's 3 hour final simmer . . .
IMG_3145[1].JPG

and a side of Brussel sprouts - which will be boiled, halved, pan fried in butter . . . ahhh, pix on it's head....
IMG_3147[1].JPG

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
sigh.....

DW done went and got the 'updated' Covid shot . . .
she's on her xxx.

the pot roast & company has been deferred to tomorrow , , , or later . . .
you'll have to excuse me now , , I'm needed to do the back rub&hug routine . . .

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I suspect everyone has heard the "don't wash your chicken, you'll spread fatal bacteria all over the kitchen!"

I'm thinking the FB poster rinses off the meats to ensure the surface is wet enough for the baking soda to do its thing....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I suspect everyone has heard the "don't wash your chicken, you'll spread fatal bacteria all over the kitchen!"

I'm thinking the FB poster rinses off the meats to ensure the surface is wet enough for the baking soda to do its thing....

Ditto. I don't wash chicken for any other reason other than I just don't.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I was taught in my home economics class, from my Grandmother and my Mother to wash chicken before cooking, as well as all work surfaces and utensils prior and after.
It's true that cooking the chicken would take care of any bacteria.
I never take chances.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I was taught in my home economics class, from my Grandmother and my Mother to wash chicken before cooking, as well as all work surfaces and utensils prior and after.
It's true that cooking the chicken would take care of any bacteria.
I never take chances.
That’s what I was always taught. I still rinse my chicken and pork before seasoning and cooking

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
FB_IMG_1701887621145.jpg

I want to print it out so found the recipe on Jen something's website. Interesting that she notes Rice Chex are a gluten-free sub for the panko.

Lee

Ingredients​

• 1 pound hamburger, grass-fed if desired
  • 2 eggs, beaten with 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 cup panko or breadcrumbs (see notes)
  • 1 small onion, minced or grated (1/2 a large onion)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley or basil

Instructions​

1. Mix all ingredients with hands.
  2. Form into golfball-size meatballs.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Notes​

• For a gluten-free option, crushed Rice Chex work beautifully.
  • When making a big batch, I recommend mixing all of the ingredients except the beef first. This will ensure everything is well incorporated but help prevent over-working the meat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, and if you look at store bought Russian dressings, Ken's, Waldon Farms and others look close to Thousand Island in colour.
Wishbone Russian is dark, almost like French or Western.
🤔