Rants and Raves thread

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
anybody as anti-foil packet as I am?

over decades I have come up with exactly one that works as advertised - fresh corn on the cob with shrimp and andouille - I think it works because cooking time is the same for the corn&shrimp and everything else is already 'done'

did a steak chunks / red potato / red onion / green pepper / red pepper on the grill tonight. just a disaster. said grill 8-10 minutes. well, these were super tiny red potatoes cut in half - no, they did not cook in 8-10 minutes.... went 20 minutes then finished another 20 minutes in a 500'F oven. steamed steak. what a waste.

I guess people just make stuff up and put it on the internet!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have to give a rave for chewy dot com. I went to Walmart early on Friday, and they didn't have the litter that I needed. I came home, ordered it that same morning, and received it on Saturday afternoon.

I may have had some special treatment since that was my first order. They waived the shipping fee, and I thought the shipping time was fantastic.

And, Fedex pulled up in my driveway and put the boxes by my garage door instead of on my front porch.

I'll definitely try them again. I hope to get the same results. We'll see.

Embryodad

I have to give a rave for chewy dot com. I went to Walmart early on Friday, and they didn't have the litter that I needed. I came home, ordered it that same morning, and received it on Saturday afternoon.

I may have had some special treatment since that was my first order. They waived the shipping fee, and I thought the shipping time was fantastic.

And, Fedex pulled up in my driveway and put the boxes by my garage door instead of on my front porch.

I'll definitely try them again. I hope to get the same results. We'll see.
Cooksie....
We tried Chewy last year, and because of the great prices, we order everything by E-Mail. We use the Wheat Litter, and sometimes they run a bonus bag ( larger size ) for same price of the smaller bag. Order on one day, and on my porch by fed ex in one day. We love their service.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
anybody as anti-foil packet as I am?

over decades I have come up with exactly one that works as advertised - fresh corn on the cob with shrimp and andouille - I think it works because cooking time is the same for the corn&shrimp and everything else is already 'done'

did a steak chunks / red potato / red onion / green pepper / red pepper on the grill tonight. just a disaster. said grill 8-10 minutes. well, these were super tiny red potatoes cut in half - no, they did not cook in 8-10 minutes.... went 20 minutes then finished another 20 minutes in a 500'F oven. steamed steak. what a waste.

I guess people just make stuff up and put it on the internet!

Nope, but I wouldn't put different things in the same packet like you did. We do foil packet potatoes on the grill especially in summer when it's so hot here and are grilling the protein anyway. I've never had them take that long to cook. Did you out any water or broth in the packet?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't had a "rant" lately, and I'm overdue to post this one.

Most of my rants are about overused and misused words and expressions of speech. This is another one to add to my very long list.

"Literally".

The use of the word has become ubiquitous, often gratuitous and frequently incorrect. It's a particular favorite of millenials, but even media people (who really should know better, but don't) toss it around with abandon.

Grrrrrr!

Okay, I feel a bit better now.

Lee

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Amazon . . .

anyone notice the theory of two day delivery has been dumped?
our orders now are taking (nominally) a week aka 5 days - more if the weekend is involved.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
How about "basically."

I've noticed the 2-day Prime taking 3+ days for more and more things. There are still lots of things 2 day though, even 1 day for me since I live near 1 of their depots or whatever they call them.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
yup, it's the prime stuff that frosts me.
we're within commuting distance of an Amazon warehouse - they had signs out for 'Help wanted' when the opened on the corners around here.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my meower took my pork rinds-- yeah, they're 'bout $1, until u hafta get an uber to get new pork rinds-- then u say 'nope' to that, & make a decision- u thought over this many a nite-- 'well, there is beef jerky & popcorn.... & lunchmeat; i'll get thru this--

my chest pain ought fret me a 'lil further, eh-- wel, i'll dial my hospital-- i'm prone to chest infections--

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
In regard to Amazon Prime, I just ordered 11 things, the last of things we're giving as actual presents (teen, preteen DGDs will also get cash) plus a couple things for us. 7 of the items (in 3 different shipments according to my summary) are supposed to be here Monday, 3 items (2 shipments) Tuesday, and 1 item Wednesday, and every single one of them is a Prime item.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I used to work for an online store. And I had to keep telling people shipping is determined by date of availablity. Which was clearly stated in the shipping FAQ's. We had 4 stores - 1 online warehouse & 3 brick and morter stores. But inventory was divided among the 4 stores. We would ship inventory to stores when they needed it. Things needed to be shipped to the online warehouse to fill our orders and ship. Each store had seperate sales records & commissions. I started asking the other stores to ship our priority shipments from the store that had the item. Then the managers started complaining that they didn't get that sale.

Maybe Amazon works the same way. It is frustrating.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
in my experience, it's never been an issue until recently. even now the items show Prime delivery - it's shown as a 2 day delivery in the order status - then it simply does not arrive until 4-5 days later.

we've ordered stuff that clearly said will arrive in (longer) days - which within reason I don't have a problem with. once I ordered something with a long lead time. from China. apparently they keep all their inventory in China -when then have enough orders they ship one (consolidated) package to USA where it is broken down into the individual orders and reshipped. one item kept being delayed and delayed - I cancelled the order when they offered the excuse the package was (still) caught in the Xmas rush . . . in mid-Feb! now if I see those kind of 'end of the month delivery times I buy from a different vendor.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Daughter just introduced me to Wish. Apparently everything is from China or similar. She told me her boyfriend had used it a lot and stuff generally comes in about 2 weeks or so instead of the basically a month's time they give for delivery. We both ordered a craft project at end of November. She got hers yesterday and the 1 I ordered for DGD is in US customs in Miami as of yesterday, so is right behind the 1 DD ordered.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've noticed some of the longer delivery times with Amazon too. WalMart is worse though. My order was supposed to be 2 day delivery, and I did get part of it in two days. The other half of the order has been pushed back by more than a week.

If it says "guaranteed delivery" on Amazon, it's always been on time. Otherwise, no go from my experience. All prime stuff too.

China, go figure, sometimes it takes several weeks.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
has Walmart stuck with their own delivery service?
we ordered thru Amazon, it was fulfilled by Walmart.
driver - from Jamaica.... - pulled into our drive - which is a steep downhill - in a ice storm. got down the drive, could not back out of the drive. bumped into my car trying . . . front wheel drive - she was putting cardboard chunks under the rear wheels for traction . . .
had to call the cops who told her "Yes, you must call a tow truck to pull you out."

sheesh, talk about things one would rather not repeat . . .
I'm very careful to avoid any more 'fulfilled by Walmart' items.

oh, she pulled down the drive because the package was too heavy to carry -

two each - 24 count packs of 3 ounce cans cat food. unable to carry nine pounds . . .

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Unwilling is more like.
So, that was an expensive delivery on her part.
Tow bills aren't cheap.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
has Walmart stuck with their own delivery service?
we ordered thru Amazon, it was fulfilled by Walmart.
driver - from Jamaica.... - pulled into our drive - which is a steep downhill - in a ice storm. got down the drive, could not back out of the drive. bumped into my car trying . . . front wheel drive - she was putting cardboard chunks under the rear wheels for traction . . .
had to call the cops who told her "Yes, you must call a tow truck to pull you out."

sheesh, talk about things one would rather not repeat . . .
I'm very careful to avoid any more 'fulfilled by Walmart' items.

oh, she pulled down the drive because the package was too heavy to carry -

two each - 24 count packs of 3 ounce cans cat food. unable to carry nine pounds . . .

Ha, I guess she learned her lesson :yum:. I have no idea if Walmart has stuck with their own delivery service. Mine was/still is UPS, if they ever get the second half here. I thought I had special treatment from Chewy since I was a first time orderer when they pulled into my driveway and put my stuff by the garage. Now I'm pretty sure it was because the items were too heavy. Nine pounds shouldn't be anything for them. Mine was over 35 lbs with another box of about 14 lbs.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
(long story omitted . . ) we went for dinner at SoBe/Lanham,MD - pretty much a blind pick based on "Best of ..." stuff

great soft rolls - butter was a smidge cold, but that's no biggie....

my food was excellent - calamari with the tentacles and body rings tempura/deep fried in separate batches so they were each done 'just right' - wonderful seasoning....

crab stuffed trout - super dish - done a bit like a rollmop and I'm guessing baked in a tube to maintain a perfect cylinder shape. yummy sauce, etc.

the problem? loud hoppityhoppity music, and a group of 20+ screeching females. they came in spaced out one carload at a time, every group provoked an incredible screeching / screaming run around hugging riot. after twice complaining we were moved into a private room so we could eat without being photobombs in rounds and rounds of pictures . . . .

the should have put that group in the room and locked the doors. behavior unsuited to a restaurant. un-flipping-believeable.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Chowder.
We had a similar experience not that long ago.
Ours wasn't in a 4 star restaurant and it wasn't customers.
It was the cooking crew, with manager involved in all the shouting, etc.
One gal had long dreadlocked hair not in a hair net up/back or anything.
I took some sneaky snaps of the shenanigans and attached them with a complaint email.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I Heart Radio must be really stupid, stupid, stupid :). When I'm playing Cool Oldies, the dj comes on and says, "Just say Alexa play Cool Oldies." The Cool Oldies station immediately switches to a station called Cool, which is not to my taste at all. I gotta walk in there and switch it back :glare:.

Something similar happens when the Good Morning America person says just say, "Alexa, get my quick news flash," and then I hear it both on the tv and through the speakers.

One time Kelly Rippa said, "Alexa, what are airplanes made of?" My dot came on and answered the question :D. I'm sure she knew what would happen and was just messing with people.

Oops, forgot my rave for Amazon. I had to return a robot vacuum cleaner that I bought some time around Christmas from Amazon. The battery wouldn't hold a charge. UPS came to my front door with a shipping label and picked it up for return. Loved it, no going down to the drop off place :).

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
seems that tint via our hair, we don't give chit-- well, we can-- if u would read my dye's box, you'd see--
we give a chit--
not all--
enough, tho--

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Rave for my WalMart:

I'm still doing the grocery pickup from WalMart. I ordered one 12lb bag of cat food and got 21lbs of cat food in 3 7lb bags for the price of the 12 lb bag. When they substitute something, they give you a little extra something.

Not too long ago, I ordered a rack of baby back ribs that were out of stock, and they substituted two racks of pork spare ribs for the same price. I probably should have taken them, but I didn't. I love baby backs but am not fond of spare ribs.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I HATE when pain keeps me awake!! I need to go food shopping in 6 hours. If I don't go early it gets crazy and I can't get a parking spot.