MSG

Ironman

🍺
I have been getting this for my chili and stews/goulash type dishes. Kind of an umami boost some say.

Do you use it? Do you believe it is bad for you? Some folks complain of headaches after reading up. The grocery stores here don’t carry it after the bad rap it ha received so I Amazon it.

6809DF44-C26D-4463-BAB7-49A66C2B2F81.jpeg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"SkyLine" brand hot sauce works for me with Chili. Never have goulash. Never have used the MSG ...never even seen it in the store. Might have to try it. Is it spicy?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I used to use MSG but can’t find it anymore. Now I use Accent. I think it adds to the taste. I’ll have to look on Amazon.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Every once in a while, I use Accent. It doesn't give me a headache, and I've never had anyone tell me that it gives them a headache.
I do know that some of the Chinese restaurants advertise, "no MSG," so it must be a big deal for some people.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Accent IS pure MSG.

Most of the stories about headaches have been disproven. MSG occurs naturally in many foods like tomatoes, anchovies, cheese, mushrooms, etc. Its strange that all those lemming that claim MSG gives them symptoms don't have any problems eating cheese and tomatoes. Peeps is right. It's a salt.

LastManStanding

My friend had a discussion with a new chef for his small scale restaurant. The new chef, discussing things, also asked if the restaurant uses "gun powder" which I didn't understand. Turned out he meant MSG. That's the reputation of MSG here in Sri Lanka. Most of the eatries use it, but has a really bad reputation.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My friend had a discussion with a new chef for his small scale restaurant. The new chef, discussing things, also asked if the restaurant uses "gun powder" which I didn't understand. Turned out he meant MSG. That's the reputation of MSG here in Sri Lanka. Most of the eatries use it, but has a really bad reputation.

I love it, but don't think of using it often.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Use it all the time. I put it in my house blend all-purpose seasoning. I usually use Accent because I can't find MSG in the stores. I found it on Amazon recently. It's just salt.

LastManStanding

Use it all the time. I put it in my house blend all-purpose seasoning. I usually use Accent because I can't find MSG in the stores. I found it on Amazon recently. It's just salt.
If you say that in my country it will be blasphemy. MSG (ajinomoto) is considered very bad for health. But every restaurant uses it. Lol. But again, at home no one uses it at all.
Every restaurant says that they never use MSG, to make customers happy because everyone is looking for food without ajinomoto. So what the cooks do is, they mix it with salt. So nobody sees any MSG container. 🤣
It's salty but much much stronger.