Let's Talk ... Sauces, Dips, Gravies Etc.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Re: Let's Talk ... Sauces, Dips, Gravies Etc

All the recipes are basically the same. I think I'm going to use the one in Frugal Gourmet.

Q-Sis, the soup sounds wonderful too.

ETA - Bought some tomatillos and am going to make the burned tomatillo salsa from the Adillo/MexicoKaren link.

K

Kimchee

I've started saving de-fatted pan drippings from roasted or grilled meats. I freeze them flat in a ziplock bag. When I want a burst of flavor, I can break off a piece and toss it in.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

for brown/dark gravies/sauces, here's my secret....

when I don't have anything else to do.....I make a roux.
and slowly cook it to a brown. this cannot be rushed, this takes time.

no, you really can't just turn up the knob and make it happen faster....

then I form it into a roll, wrap it in aluminum foil, and freeze it.

then, whenever you get some pan juices/whatever and get to salivating over a nice sauce, just whack off a chunk of the frozen dark roux and whisk away.

not thick enough? whack off a bit more of the frozen stuff.... way more faster than making another tablespoon of dark roux from scratch.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Frozen meat drippings I do, but I usually keep them separate. Might be kinda neat to mix them all up and freeze them. Is that what you do, Kimchee?

Frozen roux, ChowderMan???? BRILLIANT!! You ought to send that tip into Cook's Illustrated. Seriously.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter

First things first. This might sound a little off-topic, but;

I think that the really true secret to making the most perfect gravies & sauces that you can make, starts with the equipment.

It can be a big deciding factor as to how your gravies or sauces come out. First, you might want to acquire one of the pans pictured below.

They are called sauciers (pronounced sacias). They are perfectly flat on the stove's surface and are excellent pieces of equipment for making successful gravies & sauces! I have the first two Emerilware pans pictured below.

But what truly sets them apart from ordinary skillets and pots is that they all have ROUNDED corners on their bottoms. This feature allows you to reach every part of the pan's interior when making your rouxs for gravies and sauces.

A silicone spoonula or wire whip helps to achieve a better tasting perfect gravy because the saucier's round corner let you reach EVERY inch of the pan so that everything gets incorporated into the mixture, and that there are no missed parts of the product, resulting in velvety smooth sauces & gravies. :piesmiley1::eating2:

Attachments

• Saucier 3.jpg
    Saucier 3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Saucier 2.jpg
    Saucier 2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Saucier.jpg
    Saucier.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

we used sauciers in cooking school. i prefer my plain 'ol clad. or cast iron. a talented person makes a far better sauce than a pan.

Shermie

Site Supporter

Since you STILL have to use a pot or pan anyway, it IS the pot or pan that you use that makes the difference.

I used to use my large cast iron skillet, still do at times, but there is always the chance that the unmixed roux ends up hiding at the bottom in the corner of the pan.

Only finding this out after taking the rest of the gravy out of the pan to store in the fridge! :piesmiley1::eating2:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

i listened to my Chef advisors. they know.

& when I'm thorough, my roux is excellent in cast iron- attend to those edges.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter

Well, go with your theories. I'm done.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

they're not theory-- they're proven by, once in awhile, master Chefs. that i've personally met. not to mention my Chef instructors, & trained employers.
when have you cooked w/ a master Chef~ (not a television one- a real one) i have--

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter

FYI, I have worked with master chefs just about all of my working career. I worked with a master chef and a pastry chef in culinary arts training course. You've got some nerve asking me that.

So please do not question my credentials. I go on MY experience, you go on yours. Done. :thankyou:

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Luvs - Have you ever made the Greek lemon and egg sauce/soup? If so, any pointers? Have you ever tasted of it? If so, what did you think?

Sherman - I didn't know that you have had culinary training. Same questions for you too.

lilbopeep

Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

I make gravy in pots, pans I fry meat in and want to get all the brown goodies left in the pan. I sometimes deglaze and make gravy right in the roasting pan after I roast chicken, beef or the t-day turkey in. My favorite pans to cook in are cast iron (I even roast eye round in my cast iron fry pan with a round rack placed in it, then make the gravy right in that pan after roast and rack is removed) but most of my pots (cuisinart and kitchen aid) have flat bottoms and rounded sides. I guess I have the best of both worlds because my gravies taste good whatever I use .... Or I may just be lucky. Just my 2¢

I do have one of the all clad sauce pans and I hate it. The handle is to long and heavy so the pot tips over and spills whatever is in it all over the stove.

Sorry but these are my experiences I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

sigh. let me count the ways so many pots and pans are designed and named . . . .

for what reason I'm not all too sure.

there be pots specifically "labeled" as 'saucier' - they typically have a rounded bottom chine/corner/whatever-you-want-to-call-that-part-of-the-pot/pan.

the kitchen rumor has it they are so designed such that using a whisk can "reach into the corners" - this is certainly a reasonable truth, subject to "sizes of geometry"

I also have straight sided pots / casseroles - and I also have wooden paddle type doohickies that will clean out the corners, no problemo. a whisk, a wood thingie, a loaf of bread, a chunk of cheese, a bottle of vino. I'm happy and it all works.

I have also an "evasee" - big hunking deep pan with rounded corners and sloped sides. does a super job as a 'faux wok' and for southern fried chicken.

abandon ye all snobby terms who enter the kitchen and go with what works for you.

Shermie

Site Supporter

I make gravy in pots, pans I fry meat in and want to get all the brown goodies left in the pan. I sometimes deglaze and make gravy right in the roasting pan after I roast chicken, beef or the t-day turkey in. My favorite pans to cook in are cast iron (I even roast eye round in my cast iron fry pan with a round rack placed in it, then make the gravy right in that pan after roast and rack is removed) but most of my pots (cuisinart and kitchen aid) have flat bottoms and rounded sides. I guess I have the best of both worlds because my gravies taste good whatever I use .... Or I may just be lucky. Just my 2¢

I do have one of the all clad sauce pans and I hate it. The handle is to long and heavy so the pot tips over and spills whatever is in it all over the stove.

Sorry but these are my experiences I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

You're not stepping on anyone's toes.

Luvs had questioned my credentials, and I don't take too kindly to that. She insulted me by doing that!

Seems that every time that I start a thread or comment in one, she has to argue with me and seemingly wants to start a fight! We are supposed to be good people here, and I do not come here to fight with anyone. :angry:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

Sherm -

the problem is, you've not made notice of your credentials. I joined in 2009. never had an inkling you had any professional experience. otoh, luvs frequently mentions cooking professionally and all the schufft she hmmm, errr, 'enjoys' about that.

methinks you've overreached the insult part.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

Luvs - Have you ever made the Greek lemon and egg sauce/soup? If so, any pointers? Have you ever tasted of it? If so, what did you think?

Sherman - I didn't know that you have had culinary training. Same questions for you too.

i know we made a soup of that type, cooksie. we've also ordered similar soup. details to follow- i hafta get pretty fer my friend. slap a layer of liptint on & pull my hair into a fashion.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter

Sherm -

the problem is, you've not made notice of your credentials. I joined in 2009. never had an inkling you had any professional experience. otoh, luvs frequently mentions cooking professionally and all the schufft she hmmm, errr, 'enjoys' about that.

methinks you've overreached the insult part.

I HAVE cook professionally for several catering companies. I was a cook for United Airlines, I've cooked at many restaurants during my professional career. I've also worked in a bakery where I've filled fruit filling into danish before they were baked, anf I've frosted cakes as my job assignment.

I should not have to explain what exactly I did during my working career. My word should be enough.

She made it appear as though I was lying, sensationalizing or generalizing, and I don't lie about what I did for a living. :ohmy:

Guts

I HAVE cook professionally for several catering companies. I was a cook for United Airlines, I've cooked at many restaurants during my professional career. I've also worked in a bakery where I've filled fruit filling into danish before they were baked, anf I've frosted cakes as my job assignment.

I should not have to explain what exactly I did during my working career. My word should be enough.

She made it appear as though I was lying, sensationalizing or generalizing, and I don't lie about what I did for a living. :ohmy:

Posts like this is what tears a group apart stop it! stop it now grow up

Shermie

Site Supporter

Posts like this is what tears a group apart stop it! stop it now grow up

My only shortcoming is that I was being insulted & ridiculed. Should not be allowed to happen.

I would not have posted that post had this not occured. If this happens again, I will put her on my ignored list. And BTW, I DID successfully complete the culinary arts course, received a certificate of accomplishment, took the ServeSafe test, completed that as well and became ServeSafe certified. :nono1:

Last edited: