Dishwasher recommendations wanted

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm dishwasher shopping. Wondered if anyone here would have any recommendations for me on good and bad dishwashers. Quiet would be a good feature and a stainless steel tub instead of plastics. What do ya say?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I have a Maytag and though it cleans well, is very loud. It does the job, but I'm not in love with it.

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I had a Bosch that was so quiet that even standing next to it, you had to look for the red light. However, their filter system. Gets very smelly every couple weeks. Smells like something died in the dishwasher. You have to remove the bottom rack to get. To the filter to rinse it out. A real PITA.

Before that, I had an inexpensive GE, now I have an expensive GE. Both are extremely quiet, without the odor problem. My kitchen is open to the living room, and I cant hear it.

Unless you are looking for one of those $2000 machines, the GE is a good bet.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks ladies!!!! Lobo your suggestion would cause major trouble in my house. But thanks for the thought.

We currently have a Maytag. It has worked great for past 8 to 10 years, and is still working fine, but like you said Lee it is LOUD. We are redoing the kitchen and DW wants stainless so ....shopping for new fridge, over range microwave and dishwasher.

I read great things about Bosch and planned to buy one of those. Thanks for your input on that brand SS. :tiphat: Home Depot is out of stock on all Bosch dishwashers. Can't even order one as they have no clue when they will have them again or else I'd have bought one last Saturday.

I will add GE to my potential buy list. I am also considering a KitchenAid dishwasher. From what I've read they are quiet and dependable. Anyone here have experience with the kitchenAid dishwasher?

I want to get one with a stainless steel tub rather than plastic. Price range 700 to 1000. I've seen some priced at 2400 up to 4000. No added benefit to the higher price that I could decipher. Crazy.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Bosch is great, actually. Ours was about $900, and we loved everything about it, except the smell emanating from the filters. You just have to keep cleaning out that filter.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bosch is great, actually. Ours was about $900, and we loved everything about it, except the smell emanating from the filters. You just have to keep cleaning out that filter.
Yes, I believe they are one of the best. And hopefully they have the filter issue fixed one way or the other. I do not believe we have ever cleaned the filter in the current dishwasher or any other ones we've had. We do pre wash dishes so that nothing other than small food partials should ever be in there. But Bosch and many other manufacturers are having issues due to covid. Suppliers cannot get all the parts to them to build their product. So a Bosch dishwasher is not an option for us at this time.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I spoke to soon.. I should not trust their website to be 100% accurate. Stopped in Lowes yesterday to look at GE and Kitchenaid dishwashers. Both had all the features we need and more. Then the salesman states that Bosch models are listed as the top dishwasher. In fact it holds the top five spots in the book he showed us I should have asked who was doing the ranking but I did not. :bonk:

Anyway they had a bosch 500 dishwasher in stock. One left. We bought it. First I did ask about the filter issue SS mentioned. He showed us where the filter is and compared it to the other models. Bosch has the best filter of all, and you do have to pull out the bottom rack to get to it but I susupect it is easier than the model SS had a few years back. This unit is listed at 44db, one of the quietest according to my research and the salesman. Funny part to me in the rankings the top rated dishwasher of all was Bosch's cheapest offering. Less than 500 dollars. But it only comes in white, not in stainless like DW demands. So .....we had to spend a good bit more. :pat:

Shermie

Site Supporter
You're probably looking for a full-size machine, but THIS is the one that I own. A compact countertop unit. It gets the dishes really clean though!! :whistling:
Farberware Coungertop Dishwasher,.jpg

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good Shermie. I have seen those before but yours is way fancier with more options. Very nice.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks! Didn't have the room for a full size floor-standing model, so I got the next best thing. The Baby Care cycle heats the wash water & final rinse to a steamy hot 155 degrees to kill germs & bacteria. A fan circulates heat for effective drying results. :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Doc - how do you like the dishwasher you bought?

Lee