COVID-19

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have quite a few HOH residents.
I keep a little white board w/ erasable marker on my med cart to write them notes if they can't hear what I'm saying (yelling) lol

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I, too, have remarked to friends that the masks, quarantine and social distancing have kept us free from the usual colds, flu and stomach bugs for the past almost-year. A little silver lining.

Lee
??

20210210_095425.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sass, that is an awesome graphic - thanks!

Congrats, SS! Massachusetts is not doing well with the vaccine roll-out, so I'm not even close to getting an appointment. More concerned for my 90-year-old father who has "signed up to get an appointment" at his senior housing on the Cape. He insists on waiting for them to come to him.

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Don't have any fear.
There are a lot of negative stories going on in the media.
I've gotten it twice, no biggie.
Just a sore arm.
Florida is vaccinating anyone over 65, so quite a few of my family and friends have gotten at least a single dose already. For weeks, i have gotten on every county waiting list I can, using family members zip codes. Every Wednesday and Friday morning I've had 6 browser windows open trying for 2 hours to get into the queue at Publix pharmacy. I have been doing everything I can to get an appointment.

I know several people who have been seriously ill, and 2 who have died. At 67, I'm one of the youngest of my group of friends, and we have all of the health issues that go along with age. Text messages with family and friends are not enough. We moved into a new house last fall and no one has been able to visit. Sometimes we feel so isolated we just want to cry. Several of my friends are single/widdowed/divorced and feel so alone. The depression can be debilitating.

I am much more in fear of covid than any shot. Thank you for your encouraging words. But I am not afraid of the shot. I am afraid of living like this much longer.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Florida is vaccinating anyone over 65, so quite a few of my family and friends have gotten at least a single dose already. For weeks, i have gotten on every county waiting list I can, using family members zip codes. Every Wednesday and Friday morning I've had 6 browser windows open trying for 2 hours to get into the queue at Publix pharmacy. I have been doing everything I can to get an appointment.

I know several people who have been seriously ill, and 2 who have died. At 67, I'm one of the youngest of my group of friends, and we have all of the health issues that go along with age. Text messages with family and friends are not enough. We moved into a new house last fall and no one has been able to visit. Sometimes we feel so isolated we just want to cry. Several of my friends are single/widdowed/divorced and feel so alone. The depression can be debilitating.

I am much more in fear of covid than any shot. Thank you for your encouraging words. But I am not afraid of the shot. I am afraid of living like this much longer.

Kathy, I am so sorry that you are so fearful and sad, my dear! It sounds as if you are taking the appropriate precautions, and that you will be fine once you receive your vaccinations.

In the meantime, PM me if you want to vent. I'll send you my phone number.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Every Wednesday and Friday morning I've had 6 browser windows open trying for 2 hours to get into the queue at Publix pharmacy. I have been doing everything I can to get an appointment.
They need to figure out something to make this process easier. I'm glad you were finally successful.

Johnny West

I got my first shot yesterday morning at 0800. Around 1100 I started feeling like I was coming down with a bad cold or flu. I took a nap for an hour or more then felt sluggish for several hours before feeling right again. Mine was Pfizer.

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, what do you think about this?

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott will lift the state's mask mandate and announced businesses would be allowed to reopen at full capacity in one week's time.

"It is now time to open Texas 100 percent," Abbott said Tuesday afternoon.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I was finally able to snag appointments for me and Craig for the Moderna vaccine (2 shots) this morning. Third time trying. 1-1/2 hours first 2 times, an hour this morning, but at least we have appointments for both now.
Congrats! The feeling of relief when you get that first shot is palpable. Even though you still need the second, and then 2 more weeks for full protection, Just getting a shot and knowing that you're on the way to safety is liberating.

I've read that 2 weeks after your first shot, you could be as much as 80% protected. Several of our friends all have had either 1 or 2 doses, so we have been cautiously visiting again. It's good to begin moving toward normalcy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats! The feeling of relief when you get that first shot is palpable. Even though you still need the second, and then 2 more weeks for full protection, Just getting a shot and knowing that you're on the way to safety is liberating.

I've read that 2 weeks after your first shot, you could be as much as 80% protected. Several of our friends all have had either 1 or 2 doses, so we have been cautiously visiting again. It's good to begin moving toward normalcy.

:a1: Absolutely!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I just shared a photo on Facebook of one of our beloved residents who is coming back from the long haul.
It's shared from the facility page.
She's sitting in activities playing Uno.
?

20210316_180001.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny West

Yesterday we played Yahtzee with Amelia, she was disinterested and wanted to draw. She beat us handily.

I got up at 0300 and couldn't sleep thinking about getting this shot this morning. It’s going to be a long day.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'll admit that I'm a little bit afraid of getting the vaccine. I have this thing about needles, and those needles are long ass needles.

My arms are kind of skinny, so I was afraid that they would push that needle in there and hit my bone :ohmy:. After I did some reading, I realized that was an unfounded fear. It seems that even if the needle hits your bone, which still freaks me out, it doesn't hurt. It may affect the effectiveness of the vaccine if the needle does hit your bone though.
I'm going to quote myself :) because I was wrong, wrong, wrong. I received my first covid vaccine yesterday, and I'm feeling fine today. I asked the guy about the needle size, and he said that the needles used to mix the vaccine are big. The needles used to actually administer are the same size as the flu vaccine needle. I guess I was looking at the needle used for mixing...ding dong :bonk:, got my panties all in a wad for nothing.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to admit that I'm feeling a little indecisive about getting my 2nd Pfizer vaccine. I really don't want to be sick for a couple of days. I'm a sissy when it comes to sickness. I know I need to just buck up and do it and probably will.

1618767302143.png

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I am set to get my first shot tonight.

Can I take Ibuprofen/Advil or do I have to take Tylenol for soreness etc.?

I've read no Ibuprofen/Advil just Tylenol. Others say Ibuprofen/Advil is fine.

Can someone give me simple yes/no.