Cassoulet

Johnny West

I did the duck confit, salt pork, wild boar sausages this morning, sorted the beans and will put them to soak tonight. Tomorrow morning I will start on assembling.

956E3191-DFB4-43DA-A9A2-167A29EDF554.jpeg
B9EC76E9-15BD-44E3-95CD-C438CF9539FF.jpeg
91A28F5F-9711-4A3D-B84B-7BEBE6846FBA.jpeg
7354B8C1-DEE2-4F3D-B6B0-CE541725F605.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's going to be incredible, John! Where did you get all those duck legs?

Difficult to find a chunk of salt pork these days that's not all fat.

Lee

Johnny West

It's going to be incredible, John! Where did you get all those duck legs?

Difficult to find a chunk of salt pork these days that's not all fat.

Lee
I got the duck legs and salt pork at the commissary. I went through all the salt pork to get the leanest. The commissary is the only place I’ve been able to get duck legs.

Johnny West

The commissary carries Maple Leaf ducks and duck parts.

The cassoulet is put together and will put it in the oven about noon.
I ended up putting all the broth from the duck confit and the sautéing
of the salted pork and it still needs more salt. We can add that at the
table. I’m not sure I’ll do this again.

ED471330-16F6-4780-A08A-FE3C436C2492.jpeg
72ADB937-AC9E-4B13-9E14-32170D2B6718.jpeg
56795DF3-CF8E-4345-80EE-F8F5181AA753.jpeg

Johnny West

Are the sausages and pancetta in there, in the last photo?

Lee
Yes, it is in layers; the veg, sliced sausage, leftover pulled pork, pancetta, and salt pork.

I have it on the hob to warm up then it’s going in the oven.

Johnny West

The table is mostly set - Nancy is making a Spanish salad, maybe Tunisian, I dunno which but will be using the Tunisian salad or cous cous set I got at the pottery place in Tunisia. The couple we are having for dinner travel a lot so hopefully they will like this. We owed them several meals and think this will cover.

Lee, the tablecloth is from France and bought it at the linen shop in Vineyard Haven.

1F07465A-8272-4506-97FB-68926C897A50.jpeg
8B90BEA2-CB18-4516-84B6-7103A0EE4260.jpeg

Johnny West

There is plenty of food but thawed out duck breasts so they are going in the oven, as well. I lightly salted them similar to the confit.

B82E0996-571A-4302-838A-9450EACAC262.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A peasant dish elegantly presented! Love the table and dishes!

I'm sure that your guests will be impressed and pleased with the whole deal!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
The recipe that I've seen done for duck confit is that you season the duck legs the day before with herbs such as rosemary & basil, kosher salt, garlic cloves & black peppercorns. it is all rubbed into the meat, then it's marinated in the fridge overnight.

Next day, it is put in about 2 inches of duck fat, then slow-cooked in the oven at about 250 degrees, cooled off & the meat is pulled off the bone. It is very tender!! I saw Emeril Lagasse do it this way once on his show Essence of Emeril. But it's so hard to find duck fat here!! :whistling:
Duck Confit..jpg

Johnny West

The recipe that I've seen done for duck confit is that you season the duck legs the day before with herbs such as rosemary & basil, kosher salt, garlic cloves & black peppercorns. it is all rubbed into the meat, then it's marinated in the fridge overnight.

Next day, it is put in about 2 inches of duck fat, then slow-cooked in the oven at about 250 degrees, cooled off & the meat is pulled off the bone. It is very tender!! I saw Emeril Lagasse do it this way once on his show Essence of Emeril. But it's so hard to find duck fat here!! :whistling:
View attachment 50715
I get Epic Duck Fat at Marlene’s. It’s pricy. I did the quick 2 hour method.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I was looking for it in a non-spray form, sort of how lard or butter comes. Wouldn't it have to be kept in the fridge to keep it from spoiling & becoming rancid? I found it on Amazon, BTW. :whistling:

Johnny West

Dinner was a hit. They had never had this before and they have been to France several times.
Nancy’s salad dressing was to strong on the vinegar but her blintz was fantastic.

I’ll do this again next winter when we have some snow days.

8ABF4E1A-B3DE-421E-8228-3D41EEB9058C.jpeg
8A48E441-3DFE-46B1-A3CC-121AD1985F56.jpeg
619296C8-D22A-4040-8D4F-4970E5343B6A.jpeg

Johnny West

I ordered some duck fat on Amazon last week. I keep the house around 69 degrees and it’s to cold to spray out the dam can. 🙄

View attachment 50717
That’s about what a pint jar costs at Marlene’s. I just take a teaspoon full and smear it around the dish with my fingers.

Duck fat keeps about as good as bacon grease. It’s magical.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was looking for it in a non-spray form, sort of how lard or butter comes. Wouldn't it have to be kept in the fridge to keep it from spoiling & becoming rancid? I found it on Amazon, BTW. :whistling:

I think I got mine at Stop & Shop, Shermie. I keep it in the freezer (as I do bacon grease) and never think to use it. Or use the bacon grease, come to think of it.

Lee

duck fat.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dinner was a hit. They had never had this before and they have been to France several times.
Nancy’s salad dressing was to strong on the vinegar but her blintz was fantastic.

I’ll do this again next winter when we have some snow days.

View attachment 50722View attachment 50723View attachment 50724

THAT is a work of art, John! I would have loved it!

Were the duck legs and breasts well-done? I shudder when the TV chefs cook duck breasts rare!

Lee

Johnny West

THAT is a work of art, John! I would have loved it!

Were the duck legs and breasts well-done? I shudder when the TV chefs cook duck breasts rare!

Lee
What Silver Sage said… I like duck breast rare but these I intentionally made well done and like confit. They were so tender they almost cut with a fork. The legs and thighs were put apart well done. It all tasted fantastic. You would have loved it. I will make it again this coming winter.

Johnny West

I think I got mine at Stop & Shop, Shermie. I keep it in the freezer (as I do bacon grease) and never think to use it. Or use the bacon grease, come to think of it.

Lee

View attachment 50735
My bacon grease I keep in the refrigerator but am thinking I’ll put the duck fat in the freezer as I don’t know when I’ll use it again. we don’t eat a lot of bacon anymore so am running out of bacon grease.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I used to do confit in the oven, the traditional way, covered in duck fat. But the last few years I've been doing it sous vide. Much less fat is necessary; much less mess is created. All you need is a tablespoon or two of fat sealed in the bag with the legs. COmes out perfect. When you're ready to serve them, just brown them up in a hot skillet.