Beer-Infused Pizza Crust

Jusa

I made a homemade pizza last night with pepperoni and mushrooms. I found a recipe awhile back for a beer infused pizza crust that was really good so I made that again. It was yummy.

I had fried rice for lunch and am likely going to have Progresso split pea soup and grilled cheese for dinner. I visited my 3-year-old granddaughter yesterday and she had a stomach bug...I've been gurgly all afternoon so I think she gave it to me.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made a homemade pizza last night with pepperoni and mushrooms. I found a recipe awhile back for a beer infused pizza crust that was really good so I made that again. It was yummy.

I had fried rice for lunch and am likely going to have Progresso split pea soup and grilled cheese for dinner. I visited my 3-year-old granddaughter yesterday and she had a stomach bug...I've been gurgly all afternoon so I think she gave it to me.

Jusa, please post the recipe for that beer-infused pizza crust. There may be one or five of us here that are interested!

Lee

Jusa

Jusa, please post the recipe for that beer-infused pizza crust. There may be one or five of us here that are interested!

Lee
Okay, I'll have to look for the link. I had jotted it down on scrap paper in my junk drawer but I'm sure the original author had additional details. I'll come back and update here when I find it.

Okay, apparently I had bookmarked it and had it in my "recipes" folder.

I had cut this recipe in half to make just 1 pizza, which was probably about 14". Their recipe states that the ball of dough (full size recipe) can make three 12" pizzas but I suppose that would be a very thin crust. They used a stand mixer. I have one, but I didn't want to use it for just 1 pizza crust so I just kneaded the dough by hand. Next time I will probably use my stand mixer and make a full batch, then freeze what I don't use.

I really liked how this crust held up after being cut. When I picked up a slice, the piece remained horizontal and didn't sag at all. My husband was admonishing me a little while I was building it telling me it was going to be soggy and saggy under the weight of the amount of sauce and cheese I used (hey, I love sauce and cheese). I used jarred pasta sauce and added some oregano, basil, and garlic powder to it to amp up the flavor, but I I cooked it on low in a small sauce pan for awhile to make it thicker and to remove the moisture before building the pizza.

I did not use rapid rise yeast (I didn't have any, just regular). I omitted the honey completely from the dough cuz it seemed odd to me. I also used different steps making the dough in that I added the warm beer, yeast, and sugar in the measuring cup first, then added the olive oil, then put it in with the dry ingredients in the bowl before mixing the dough (they put the yeast in the bowl with the flour as a dry ingredient). I also let mine rise for much longer (maybe because it didn't look right since I didn't use the rapid rise yeast) before I punched it down. Also, I formed the dough crust on parchment paper and then transferred it to my pizza stone--that worked our really well. I didn't grease my parchment paper, and I also recommend that if you put the pizza on a baking stone directly, do not oil it. We did that once and the oil absorbed into the stone and turned rancid, so it was a real pain to clean it and get it back to normal after. I read somewhere that a little corn meal, flour, or semolina flour on the baking stone will keep it from sticking. Parchment paper is really pretty inexpensive. They sell it at Dollar Tree so if you don't have any on hand you should buy some.

I think that grated parmesan cheese folded into the crust edges would have been a nice addition, maybe next time. I used garlic butter to brush the outer crust edges of the crust. I prebaked the pizza crust for about 10 minutes at 350F before removing it from the oven and adding the toppings. I baked it at 430F because apparently if you go hotter than that, the parchment paper can burn. The author suggested 425F but I know a lot of people like their ovens way hotter than that for pizza. Next time I might use a cast iron skillet like this person did and skip the parchment paper. I had really forgotten what they had done since I just had notes scribbled on scratch paper that I wrote down a few years ago, but their toppings sound pretty nice.

Let me know how yours turns out!

Last edited:

Johnny West

Okay, I'll have to look for the link. I had jotted it down on scrap paper in my junk drawer but I'm sure the original author had additional details. I'll come back and update here when I find it.

I had cut this recipe in half to make just 1 pizza, which was probably about 14". Their recipe states that the ball of dough (full size recipe) can make three 12" pizzas but I suppose that would be a very thin crust. They used a stand mixer. I have one, but I didn't want to use it for just 1 pizza crust so I just kneaded the dough by hand. Next time I will probably use my stand mixer and make a full batch, then freeze what I don't use.

I really liked how this crust held up after being cut. When I picked up a slice, the piece remained horizontal and didn't sag at all. My husband was admonishing me a little while I was building it telling me it was going to be soggy and saggy under the weight of the amount of sauce and cheese I used (hey, I love sauce and cheese). I used jarred pasta sauce and added some oregano, basil, and garlic powder to it to amp up the flavor, but I I cooked it on low in a small sauce pan for awhile to make it thicker and to remove the moisture before building the pizza.

I did not use rapid rise yeast (I didn't have any, just regular). I omitted the honey completely from the dough cuz it seemed odd to me. I also used different steps making the dough in that I added the warm beer, yeast, and sugar in the measuring cup first, then added the olive oil, then put it in with the dry ingredients in the bowl before mixing the dough (they put the yeast in the bowl with the flour as a dry ingredient). I also let mine rise for much longer (maybe because it didn't look right since I didn't use the rapid rise yeast) before I punched it down. Also, I formed the dough crust on parchment paper and then transferred it to my pizza stone--that worked our really well. I didn't grease my parchment paper, and I also recommend that if you put the pizza on a baking stone directly, do not oil it. We did that once and the oil absorbed into the stone and turned rancid, so it was a real pain to clean it and get it back to normal after. I read somewhere that a little corn meal, flour, or semolina flour on the baking stone will keep it from sticking. Parchment paper is really pretty inexpensive. They sell it at Dollar Tree so if you don't have any on hand you should buy some.

I think that grated parmesan cheese folded into the crust edges would have been a nice addition, maybe next time. I used garlic butter to brush the outer crust edges of the crust. I prebaked the pizza crust for about 10 minutes at 350F before removing it from the oven and adding the toppings. I baked it at 430F because apparently if you go hotter than that, the parchment paper can burn. The author suggested 425F but I know a lot of people like their ovens way hotter than that for pizza. Next time I might use a cast iron skillet like this person did and skip the parchment paper. I had really forgotten what they had done since I just had notes scribbled on scratch paper that I wrote down a few years ago, but their toppings sound pretty nice.

This deserves a thread of its own.

I have a pizza oven attachment for my Weber
and want to do some experimenting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jusa

This deserves a thread of its own.

I have a pizza oven attachment for my Weber
and want to do some experimenting.
I wish I had a pizza oven!

Is there a pizza thread somewhere already? I could copy/paste it or a mod can move it.

Last edited:

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter

Yes- Great read, super informative.. Parchment Paper also comes in rounds and Rectangles.
I use them in my microwave

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I have used beer in dough recipes before. It really seems to add flavor that you don't get unless you have time for an overnight or longer rise.
I may give this rd ipe a try next time we make pizza. Thanks.