2022 Thanksgiving Plans (U.S.A. - 11/24/2022)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Tentative Menu Plans (as of 11/8/2022) still may change.

(Lots of variety. Small batches of each side dish/appy and a small turkey breast or a small whole turkey - haven't decided which)

Appetizers/Lunch

Cream Cheese, Green Olive, and Nut Poppers
Marinated Mushrooms
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
Green Bean Casserole
Glazed Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Mashed Turnip Root and Yukon potatoes
Steamed Brussels Sprouts
Stuffing/Dressing
Sautéed mushrooms
Turkey Gravy (Homemade)
Cranberry/Orange Relish (Homemade)

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Blackberry Cobbler
Whipped Cream

Beverages
Iced Tea/Soda
Sparkling Cranberry Apple Cider

Last edited:

Jusa

Dinner is at the in-laws' house. All I know is I'm bringing mashed potatoes, savory creamed corn, and pecan pie (all homemade). I wasn't informed about the menu otherwise but I think my nephew is smoking a few turkeys. There will be about 20 people and most everyone is bringing something.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good Peeps.
We bought our 21LB turkey yesterday. :D
So, what is the difference in Roasted Turkey and Baked Turkey. We cook ours in the oven in a roasting bag.
I've never had some of the things on your menu, but I'd miss mashed potatoes and dinner rolls. Both are a mainstay at our dinner.

Jusa

So, what is the difference in Roasted Turkey and Baked Turkey. We cook ours in the oven in a roasting bag.
I think they are mostly interchangeable these days, but "baked" seems to often be used in reference to baked goods such as breads, rolls, pies, cookies, etc. with "roasted" more often used in reference to meats and vegetables. But I have "baked" a chicken many times, LOL! I have never roasted a pie before, though. So I dunno.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I got the shopping for Thanksgiving that I could get ahead of time done. Including an 18 lb. free turkey. It's in my fridge. My fridge is at 38F I hope it thaws in time.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
According to these memes it will thaw in plenty of time peeps.

TurkeyThawTime1.jpg
TurkeyThawTime2.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We bought our 21LB Butterball already and did more shopping yesterday. Holy crap, prices are high. Unreal. And I saw where they say average turkey dinner costs 64 dollars. Dream on. :bonk:

Our Menu;
Turkey cooked in oven roasting bag
dressing
(wine)
mashed taters gravy
home made noodles
green beans
(a little more wine)
white corn
sweet taters with marshmallows on top
(Aste Spumante Champagne)
rolls
desserts: pumpkin pie, pecan pie, pumpkin rolls
(maybe a little more vino).
Can't wait. :D

Tentative Menu Plans (as of 11/8/2022) still may change.

(Lots of variety. Small batches of each side dish/appy and a small turkey breast or a small whole turkey - haven't decided which)

Appetizers/Lunch

Cream Cheese, Green Olive, and Nut Poppers
Marinated Mushrooms
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
Green Bean Casserole
Glazed Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Mashed Turnip Root and Yukon potatoes
Steamed Brussels Sprouts
Stuffing/Dressing
Sautéed mushrooms
Turkey Gravy (Homemade)
Cranberry/Orange Relish (Homemade)

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Blackberry Cobbler
Whipped Cream

Beverages
Iced Tea/Soda
Sparkling Cranberry Apple Cider
thanks for sharing. I will try this menu.

Ironman

🍺
I think that must depend a lot on who's refrigerator it's in. In my frig (which is set to a rather cold temp apparently) a 3 lb package of hamburger takes a little more than 2 days to thaw completely, so a 10-12 pound bird is probably going to take 4 days. YMMV.
I agree. Mine was still frozen last year after the recommended time. We have a newer fridge and I swear it says 37F but I think it’s closer to 32.1F. 😜 my 21 pounder went in the fridge yesterday, but I do a 2 day brine.

There is a shortage of Butterballs at my grocery store this year, bird flu and all that. He said he got 25% of his order for turkeys.

Johnny West

We got invited to Amelia’s other grandparents for Thanksgiving. We were requested to bring a cranberry salade and will also bring several pies. I know Kevin loves blackberry pie so will make one for him, as well as a mincemeat pie for me, and an apple pie for Peter. She is making a prime rib and for the amount of guests she has invited, I hope it’s a big one or slices will be on the small side. I’ll be happy with a rib bone.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Pam asked what I would like from a list of what they're having tomorrow.
I just said oh surprised me!
I'm getting white and dark meat turkey, her sister Sherry's homemade dressing, mash and turkey gravy, green beans and I forget what else.
I'm having some type of cheesecake dessert too.

Embryodad

I'm still up.....2:00 AM... just cleaning up.

14 will be seated + two children.
The Menu
Turkey 12 Lb.
Two Turkey Breasts
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes ( Gravy )
Two pans of Lasagna
Candied sweet potatoes
Corn / String beans / Steamed Brussel sprouts / Fried Mushrooms with onions
Apple pie / Apple Betty / Pumpkin pie / Pressed butter cookies.
Crescent rolls / Stuffed Cabbages / Pierogi. ( All home made )
Garden Salad
And finally, A pack of Tums / A fresh injection of my diabetic medicine / "The End!" * BURP *