What are you eating Sunday 3/12/2023 to Saturday 3/18/2023?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm green eggs would be worse. IMHO

BTW, DD and I find the gel food coloring has an off flavor. Maybe that’s what they used.

Any food coloring has a taste when used in anything but minor amounts. When I was decorating cakes and needed dark colors I always used paste coloring because gel and liquid food coloring weren't sufficient to get deep colors. I tried to always talk people into using the dark colors as decorations only and have the frosting in a lighter color because of the taste change.

Case in point, red velvet cake. Make it without the red food coloring and it doesn't have that distictive flavor.

I'm sure they used an emerald green paste coloring because the inside of the doughnuts is a bright emerald green.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Crab Cakes (Air Fryer)
Salt'nPepper Shrimps
Oven-Fried Potatoes
Steamed Cauliflower
Horseradish Sauce...

Crab Cakes & Shrimp 3-17-23.JPG

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Very pretty. I tried to do tails for DD and I didn’t do it right because there were to many shell shards. :( Can you share your technique pleas.
I'll try to explain it, but it would be better if I had thought to take pictures. I can only do it on a 'good hand day'. Steps 3 and 4 are difficult if my fingers are stiff and troublesome.

1. With very sharp boning shears, cut through the top of the shell all the way to the base - but not through the fins at the end..
2. Lay the tail on its side and push down hard to crack the back spines.
3. With a dull dinner or butter knife, gently loosen the meat from the shell at the opening. I slip the knife between the shell and the meat at each segment of the shell, as far as I can without damaging the meat.
4. Use your fingers to pull the rest of the meat away from the sides and bottom of the shell, and pull it up through the slit that you cut in step 1. Do not pull it all the way out - leave the bit attached at the base of the shell.
5. If there is a visible black vein, remove it.
6. Pull the meat back over the tail out of the way. Push the shell back together like it should be, then lay the attached meat over the top of the shell. Push the sides of the meat back together at the split so it looks intact. (It will pop open during cooking). Tuck in any loose or ragged strands.
Lay it on your pan and spread out the tail fins (for both stability and presentation).
7. Spread with melted butter and stick it under the broiler.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've been cooking again this week - a lot! Tonight we had a (very) small filet wit a red wine / mushroom sauce, and another big salad. The filets were pretty thin, and I didn't want to overcook them, so they were quite rare (just the way I like it). Judy said she would close her eyes and pretend she was a vampire. 🧛‍♀️
20230317_193311.jpg
🦇

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'll try to explain it, but it would be better if I had thought to take pictures. I can only do it on a 'good hand day'. Steps 3 and 4 are difficult if my fingers are stiff and troublesome.

1. With very sharp boning shears, cut through the top of the shell all the way to the base - but not through the fins at the end..
2. Lay the tail on its side and push down hard to crack the back spines.
3. With a dull dinner or butter knife, gently loosen the meat from the shell at the opening. I slip the knife between the shell and the meat at each segment of the shell, as far as I can without damaging the meat.
4. Use your fingers to pull the rest of the meat away from the sides and bottom of the shell, and pull it up through the slit that you cut in step 1. Do not pull it all the way out - leave the bit attached at the base of the shell.
5. If there is a visible black vein, remove it.
6. Pull the meat back over the tail out of the way. Push the shell back together like it should be, then lay the attached meat over the top of the shell. Push the sides of the meat back together at the split so it looks intact. (It will pop open during cooking). Tuck in any loose or ragged strands.
Lay it on your pan and spread out the tail fins (for both stability and presentation).
7. Spread with melted butter and stick it under the broiler.
Thank you. Copied into my OneNote recipes file. I understand about painful fingers.
If you do it again, maybe take a few snaps if you get a chance.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We're having porchetta spiced pork tenderloin, a version of Ina Garten's fennel, onion and potato gratin, and a vegetable medley. I cook the vegetables separately in a steamer basket except for the onions and red bells, which get sauteed in butter and EVOO. The taste is much cleaner that way. Craig made the rub, with me telling him ingredients, for the tenderloin so it's in the refrigerator with that on. Vegetable medley is made, just needs to be reheated. Onions and fennel are sauteed to soften. Dinner should be easy to finish.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
La Choza is becoming a Saturday habit;
... gotta break this habit ! - $$$

Calamari Frito
Cooked to perfection, for my taste, at least ...
La Choza Calamari.JPG

Seco de Chivo
First time for this for me...
Goat Stew with Yellow Rice,
Simple Salad, Avocado Slice
Sweet Plantain...
La Choza Seco de Chivo - Goat Stew.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
La Choza is becoming a Saturday habit;
... gotta break this habit ! - $$$

Clamari Froti
Cooked to perfection, for me at least ...
View attachment 56815

Seco de Chivo
First time for this for me...
Goat Stew with Yellow Rice,
Simple Salad, Avocado Slice
Sweet Plantain...
View attachment 56816

How'd you like the goat meat, LT? It's become a fixture in the supermarkets in my town, but I've never tried it. Does it taste similar to something I might know? Lamb?

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
How'd you like the goat meat, LT? It's become a fixture in the supermarkets in my town, but I've never tried it. Does it taste similar to something I might know? Lamb?

Lee
... Not too bad ...
Fattier than expected, but
tasted kinda like Half-way
between Beef and pork...
Preparation lacked salt tho'...but
that's been my experience with Mexican
cooking... lack of seasoning during
the cooking process...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My friend Kathy came over for dinner tonight and brought with her a couple of garlic-herb country ribs to cook along with my char sui ribs. Both were excellent!

We ate in front of the TV, watching yet another paranormal investigation of the Lizzie Borden house.

Lee
IMG_20230318_193014.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My friend Kathy came over for dinner tonight and brought with her a couple of garlic-herb country ribs to cook along with my char sui ribs. Both were excellent!

We ate in front of the TV, watching yet another paranormal investigation of the Lizzie Borden house.

LeeView attachment 56824
Looks wonderful!!

Tell me more about “paranormal investigation of the Lizzie Borden house”. Where can I watch it? Always been interested in the subject.