What's on the menu Sunday, 5/2/2021 to Saturday, 5/8/2021?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
A version of poutine. There was some sous vide London broil in the freezer, so I chopped that up and put the liquid in with some purchased gravy. Craig made the ATK oven fries that use a cornstarch slurry. We used fresh moz since the grocery didn't have any curds or farmer's/fresh cheese. It was pretty good. Definitely makes nice comfort food.
2021-05-06 19.14.18.jpg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Breakfast. Craig wanted breakfast out, but I didn't feel like it so suggested he pick up.something from this little family run place close to us. It's not much more than a hole in the wall. I think they have 8 tables, several of which are only 2 tops. But, they do all their own baking, even making wedding cakes! One of their specialties is shown below. It's between 7 to 7.5 inches in size. We got the icing on the side (or you can get caramel) because they put on so much if they do it that it pools and literally makes my teeth ache to eat. I mean I like icing, but... Cafe con leche to go with.
2021-05-07 09.34.42.jpg

I made it thru half of mine. Tonight's dessert.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I think I'll stick to the little guys..... this was a chore!...........

Octopus, slow-simmered in a red wine broth, served on a bed of Greens with a Ginger-Sesame Dressing,
Shrimp salad.........

View attachment 42281

Well, Lucky, you certainly are adventurous! Why was it a chore? Tough?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heyyyy, good to see you, Andy! Your mushroom burgers look delicious!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Well, Lucky, you certainly are adventurous! Why was it a chore? Tough?

Lee
No, Lee, it turned out perfectly tender ; Time- consuming..... an hour and a half in the simmer, then the recipe wanted me to "let it cool in the cooking liquid". then wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.... well, I got impatient , so I pulled it out and "cooled" it under running tap water, and no refrigeration........ Big mistake...... the White areas you see in the pic is where my tongs stripped the skin off....... turns out , all of that cooling and refrigerating was to adhere the skin ............

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
No, Lee, it turned out perfectly tender ; Time- consuming..... an hour and a half in the simmer, then the recipe wanted me to "let it cool in the cooking liquid". then wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.... well, I got impatient , so I pulled it out and "cooled" it under running tap water, and no refrigeration........ Big mistake...... the White areas you see in the pic is where my tongs stripped the skin off....... turns out , all of that cooling and refrigerating was to adhere the skin ............
We cooked it 1 time at home too. Decided it was a restaurant only dish.

Johnny West

I have a breast of veal in the fridge. Not sure if I want to cook tonight. Haven't been sleeping well, allergies and joint pain. I made pasta salad for lunches/snacks. That may be my dinner.

allegies and joint pain are affecting me, as well. I hope you feel better soon.