COVID-19

SilverSage

Resident Crone
One of my closest friends was taken to the hospital last night with COVID and pneumonia. She is isolated and on oxygen. We've been texting today - she says she can't talk and breathe at the same time. She's 72 years old.

Where the hell are all the vaccines? 30M distributed - only 11M administered. Where are they?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Kathy! Sending positive thoughts and healing energies!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
One of my closest friends was taken to the hospital last night with COVID and pneumonia. She is isolated and on oxygen. We've been texting today - she says she can't talk and breathe at the same time. She's 72 years old.

Where the hell are all the vaccines? 30M distributed - only 11M administered. Where are they?
First of all, I'm very sorry to hear this.
As for the vaccines, I believe as they've become available to the public, aside from those folks in nursing homes - and nursing staff, emergency workers, they are phasing them in by age group, which is freaking ridiculous!
Hopefully within the next few weeks, all this mess will get sorted out.
It is frustrating as hell.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
??‍♀
20210121_202750.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I'm sorry about your friend.

I find the above highlighted disturbing too. From what I've read some of the vaccines were shipped to facilities where many of the people would not agree to having the vaccine. At first, separate facilities weren't allowed to share the vaccine with other facilities. Maybe that's why they're sitting on them. Maybe they're allowed to now. I sure don't know. Seems like such a waste to me.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
First of all, I'm very sorry to hear this.
As for the vaccines, I believe as they've become available to the public, aside from those folks in nursing homes - and nursing staff, emergency workers, they are phasing them in by age group, which is freaking ridiculous!
Hopefully within the next few weeks, all this mess will get sorted out.
It is frustrating as hell.
How would you suggest that the vaccines be phased in?

A pharmacist in Wisconsin (think it was Wisconsin) has already been charged for intentionally leaving out some vaccines overnight. Some people just have black hearts.

Ironman

🍺

A pharmacist in Wisconsin (think it was Wisconsin) has already been charged for intentionally leaving out some vaccines overnight. Some people just have black hearts.
Yeah that was Milwaukee. The guys a kook, conspiracy theorist kinda guy. I heard somewhere else they received the vaccine but didn’t store it properly and lost 800 shots worth. You’d think they would be prepared... ?‍♂️

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Sure wish I had the answer to that.
This is 2021, you'd think this kind of thing wouldn't be happening.
Then again....
??

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Kimberly-Clark N95 Pouch Respirator (53358), Made in U.S.A, Universal Size, 50 Respirators/Bag​

If anybody is still looking for good face masks, these are really good. They're not cheap, and they're not so pretty, but whatever. I feel like they work a lot better than the masks that I've been wearing.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and a handful of his Democratic colleagues are urging President Joe Biden to explore options for making higher quality masks available to the public through the U.S. Postal Service to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and a handful of his Democratic colleagues are urging President Joe Biden to explore options for making higher quality masks available to the public through the U.S. Postal Service to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
I was informed today that we're going back to the blue paper medical masks.
It's about time.
Yay!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Good for you, Sass. I would think your job would require a medical grade mask just like the doctors and nurses in a regular hospital.

I support Bernie's push for providing better quality masks to the general public through USPS. A lot of people are unemployed right now through no choice of their own and may not have the extra money to buy enough masks for their family members to use correctly.

We talked about this on here once before. It's not clear in the link, but I sure hope he is trying to provide those masks for free to low income families and those on unemployment.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Good for you, Sass. I would think your job would require a medical grade mask just like the doctors and nurses in a regular hospital.
There isn't a need for the n95 now.
Covid is nonexistent in our facility.
The cases are dropping daily by a huge number in our counties.
Governor DeWine has called for reopening the state.
We cannot live in fear or walk around in masks forever.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We cannot live in fear or walk around in masks forever.
That's good for you. It sounds like you're sick and tired of wearing masks at work, and that's understandable. Maybe it's ok in your work environment.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who hasn't even had one vaccine, much less two, I do think we should walk around in masks until this covid stuff is at least under control. I'm just talking about the general public. I do think people should still wear masks in grocery stores, etc.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That's good for you. It sounds like you're sick and tired of wearing masks at work, and that's understandable. Maybe it's ok in your work environment.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who hasn't even had one vaccine, much less two, I do think we should walk around in masks until this covid stuff is at least under control. I'm just talking about the general public. I do think people should still wear masks in grocery stores, etc.
That I am.
My face is usually torn up for 24 hours after wearing an n95.
Thankfully I've gone prn/part time and we're back to the blue masks.
Actually THOSE are the ones we were wearing right in the thick of when covid hit us hard. Go figure, huh?

Yup, we should stay with masks anyway because right now it's practical given the time of year.
Consider this: since we've all become the masked masses, how many people do you know who've actually come down with their usual bad winter cold?
I sure haven't.
I attribute that to hand hygiene and my masks.
So it's both a pain in the ass for some and a practical necessity for others.
?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I, too, have remarked to friends that the masks, quarantine and social distancing have kept us free from the usual colds, flu and stomach bugs for the past almost-year. A little silver lining.

Lee

Johnny West

We are scheduled to get the first shot the 17th. She called another place to get in this Sat. I begged off and then couldn’t get in. I’ll wait...

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I don't know if this is true or not. I heard it on my regular Dr. Ed question and answer chat.

I don't remember his exact wording, but my take was he thought that people who have a mild reaction to the vaccine are having those reactions because their bodies are producing antibodies to covid, which is good because it shows that they don't already have the antibodies or enough of the antibodies. He didn't say this specifically, but I inferred that those who already have the antibodies don't have the same reactions.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'll admit that I'm a little bit afraid of getting the vaccine. I have this thing about needles, and those needles are long ass needles.

My arms are kind of skinny, so I was afraid that they would push that needle in there and hit my bone :ohmy:. After I did some reading, I realized that was an unfounded fear. It seems that even if the needle hits your bone, which still freaks me out, it doesn't hurt. It may affect the effectiveness of the vaccine if the needle does hit your bone though.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Here's something that never crossed my mind. People who read lips can't communicate with people who are masked.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter