Issue or questions about NEW Xenforo Forum Software

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If all goes right tomorrow we will be running on Xenforo software. The forum looks great on XF (Xenforo). I really think you all are going to like the new look.

It will take a bit to get used to but please give it a chance and post any questions or problems here.

If you cannot log in for some reason please email me at
webmaster@netcookingtalk.com

I will get back to you as soon as possible. But beware. For my online work email is the last on my list. I have to wade through so much spam it is a major pain. Please put Net Cooking Talk in your subject to ensure I notice your email and don't think it's spam.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'll just hit you up in phone text if there is an issue.
:hide2:

Thanks for the heads up Doc.
I'm sure it's going to be ok.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I didn't have any problem logging in. It all looks and works the same for me.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You will notice a difference when it happens. It will look similar, same logo and colors but different. Stuff will be in a different place. There will be a 'what's new' button. There will be a short outage before we go live. Never fear ...we will be back as soon as possible

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I thought by now. The migration team was supposed to have it done by now. I'm playing the hurry up and wait game. No problems reported by them so I still think it will happen. Will update you all as soon as I know anything different.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm here!

Let's see if I can post a pic.

Lee

Okay, I used the paper clip and the photo is way small.

Attachments

• October sky 2015.JPG
    October sky 2015.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 1

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Acorn squash and fruit, cooked.JPG
That's better! Used the "Insert Image" then "Click here". Took me to My Pictures.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Doc ;
You went and screwed up what was a good thing........................ Why ??

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc ;
You went and screwed up what was a good thing........................ Why ??
Server errors. End of life for our VB and PHP ...we were an open inviation to get hacked or crash and die. It was move or get run over. I waited / procrastinated as long as I could. I hope you give it a chance. It's not bad once you get used to it. Nobody like change, including me. Believe me given a real option I never would have changed.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't like it.
I'm sorry.
?
I had the same first impression and looked for other alternatives. This is the best of what is out there and affordable....but IMHO even the more expensive software was a more drastic change from what we were used to that this seemed the obvious answer. The option was let the forum die or upgrade. I'm not a quitter. I hope you'll give it a chance. I think you will find some good things with it over time. I sure hope so.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Where is my control panel, albums, subscribed threads, smilies? How do I jump to the first new post in a thread? I don't know if I can get used to this but I will give it a chance for now.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Once you have viewed a thread the next time you view it it will automatically go to first unread post. For now, all are unread in this new software so to get to end of thread and look back to first unread post just click the date of last post over at the far right.

Albums did not automatically migrate. It will cost me a few hundred more to get them. Is it worth that? I wondered if anyone would even miss them (I don't use them much and didn't think many others did ...tell me if I'm wrong).

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Posts need to be approved before being visible?
Well some do for now. It's a group permission. As I see someone needing approval I try to fix it so that happens no more. Once all fixed no one will need approval to post. That is a lot of extra work for me and the mods that we do not need, nor can we keep up with. Please be patient with this new software. No one likes change. Including me. But this was a do or die situation.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So far, it is better now. Posting pics has never been easier!!
THANKS Shermie!!!!! Glad you found posting pics easier. I agree. I thought the same once I uploaded some. Thank you for a positive comment on this new software!!!! :thumb: ?

Shermie

Site Supporter
THANKS Shermie!!!!! Glad you found posting pics easier. I agree. I thought the same once I uploaded some. Thank you for a positive comment on this new software!!!! :thumb: ?
You're so welcome, Doc!!!! I'm like a kid in a candy store!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm finally navigating around to see how things work.
The drop down menu is helpful but I miss the old options etc...
?
This is like culture shock after having the other way for so long.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm finally navigating around to see how things work.
The drop down menu is helpful but I miss the old options etc...
?
This is like culture shock after having the other way for so long.

It will take a while for some to get used to it, but I love that I don't have to go through the hassles of uploading pics now. It's a breeze!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Smiles are the generic ones with XF. They are on top bar in your edit window ...two to the right of the paper clip. I've reported to the migration team that we are missing our VB smiles. No word on when we'll get those but I'll post when they are installed.
I don't have a paper clip icon on my laptop.

drop-pic.JPG

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here is what I see in my edit window. Is yours different?
1602208282486.png

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Now all my options are greyed out. I can't choose anything.

Attachments

• greyed out.JPG
    greyed out.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 2