Words and Expressions that we hate

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🍂
Gold Site Supporter
Just saw this on a Facebook posted comment, where someone was griping about something.

The person in agreement; Preach!
Annoying!!
I've also seen preach it!
🙄

LastManStanding

How about 😂
That works but needs to locate the smilies and pick the right one. With my internet speed it takes a really long time to initiate the smilies window. I use it as much as possible. :D
On some message boards we can type it with 2 colons and a "lol".
Let's try that here :lol: < this is what I get with that. That's good I guess.

LastManStanding

Here's one I heard recently.
"Gorge" for gorgeous 🤣
In Sri Lanka you will find a few of such phrases especially among certain groups of teenagers. One is the short form of Coca Cola. I've seen some village youth go to the shop and ask for a "cock". Not only that, one of the most famous food outlets too had that word in their billing. I have a photo which I posted on Facebook long ago. I'll search for it.
Then there's some students who wish to borrow a friend's dictionary. "Can I have your dic?" or "do you have a dic?"

LastManStanding

Here it is.
PnS CocaCola.jpg

LastManStanding

And another big one: pronouncing letter H as /hech/. I don't know if that's accepted as an alternative pronunciation, but for me it's disgusting. I've seen some BBC presenters use that pronunciation, so maybe it's accepted, I am not sure.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, geez, now that you bumped up this thread, RM, I might as well add to it.

The incorrect use of the word "random", as in "I have a random question: do you carry snow shovels in this hardware store?"

Grrrrr

Lee

Just saw this on a FB neighborhood group, talking about AAA:

"I just used AAA today for a flat tire. Was in a random neighborhood in North Andover. Made the call and within a half an hour the tire had been changed and the guy was gone. "

Random neighborhood. Grrrrr.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🍂
Gold Site Supporter
I've been watching cooking videos on Facebook.
Never fails..each and every time one of those presenting a recipe or method, they have to end every step with "perrrrfect", that only causes me to delete them for 30 days lol

Also "cuteness overload".. that annoys the crap out of me.
Yeah I know my grandkids are adorable, but stop lol

LastManStanding

Something I have hated ever since I learned the language. Maybe I am wrong, but still I deplore this: "available for sale".
"Almost brand new wristwatch available for sale."
What does that mean? Is it for brokers only?
It should be "available for purchase", not sale.
Again, maybe that's how it's said in English, but not for me. lol.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Something I have hated ever since I learned the language. Maybe I am wrong, but still I deplore this: "available for sale".
"Almost brand new wristwatch available for sale."
What does that mean? Is it for brokers only?
It should be "available for purchase", not sale.
Again, maybe that's how it's said in English, but not for me. lol.

Wow, I never thought of that before, Indike - you're right!

Lee