What are you reading?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena (same author as Couple Next Door) really good book

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just finished Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena (same author as Couple Next Door) really good book

I finished that one about a month ago. Similar character set-up to Stranger, but another page-turner.

I like her style!

Doc, I like Baldacci, too!

Now reading "Hell's Kitchen" by Jeffrey Deaver. Liking it a lot, so far.

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Re-reading Tom Clancey’s “Cardinal Of The Kremlin”

Just finished “And Grant You Peace” by Kate Flora.

Finished Cardinal of The Kremlin, reread Hunt For Red October, just started Death In Paradise by Robert Parker

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished The Castaways - Elin Hilderbrand

Really good, set in Nantucket

It's about four couples who are best friends. Problems arise when he loves his wife, she loves her husband....dah dah dah

Part of it is pretty sad.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

Attachments

• 12B61B1F-8981-435C-A225-2803392A0FE6.jpg
    12B61B1F-8981-435C-A225-2803392A0FE6.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 109

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished Camino Winds - John Grisham

Grisham is definitely branching out. This book is not his usual style at all. Maybe he's just trying to prove that he can write something other than courtroom drama. I really liked it and want to read Camino Island, have to wait on that one though. This one would probably entertain both males and females.

Before that - 28 Summers - Elin Hilderbrand
This is written for more of a female audience.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've been doing a lot of reading lately. Anybody interested in picking a book to read together and discuss? I've done this before, and it was fun.

We decided on a point in the book and then came back and discussed. We then chose another point in the book and came back and discussed.

The best ones were the mystery "who-done-it" books. It was interesting to see who everybody expected to have "been the one."

I didn't really want to, but I read the Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I think he's Stephen King's son, don't know that for sure though. That made me step out of my regular reading box, and I found that I really liked it. That wasn't really a "who-done-it", but was still a good discussion.

You have to take turns picking the book. If anybody wants to do this, I promise that I won't pick a total chick-lit book :lol:.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
OK, book discussion was a bust.

Since the last post, I've read Grisham's Camino Island. I liked it but not as well as Camino Winds.

I really liked this: His Hand in the Storm - Gray James Detective Murder Mystery and Suspense - Ritu Sethi - Some pretty gross stuff in this one.

Now I'm reading a fluff romance novel, don't even know the author.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Two Can Keep a Secret - Karen McManus

I'm not very far into it, but it has really caught my attention. It's a murder mystery.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I took a trip to the Salvation Army store and picked up an armful of books, 99 cents each. Just started John Grisham's "The Whistler". Man, he is one helluva great writer!

Where are you getting your books, Cooksie?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I took a trip to the Salvation Army store and picked up an armful of books, 99 cents each. Just started John Grisham's "The Whistler". Man, he is one helluva great writer!

Where are you getting your books, Cooksie?

Lee
Some free on Amazon, and some from digital library lending for free
Every once in a while I'll buy something from Amazon if I really want to read a sequel.

I think you'll like the Whistler. Be sure and tell us.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just put a hold on Grisham's A Time for Mercy

The digital library lending is really the best for the newest and most up to date books. There's a wait period most of the time, but that's better than paying the full price for the paperback.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just can't warm up to digital books, Cooksie. I would if I had to, but I hope I never have to.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I really enjoy most of John Grisham's books. The Guardian was the exception. I did not finish it I had another hot book ready to go so I moved on to it. It had been on hold at the Library and you only have 21 days to read it so ... I went for it.

Lately I've been on a David Baldacci kick. Everything by him has been a joy to read. Edge of seat page turner for me.

Lee, I thought the same about digital books. But I've since converted to digital. Started downloading from Amazon as they were cheaper. Then a friend mentioned the library. Now I primarily get all my books from the library and I never go in the building. I always have my book with me cause I read via Kindle on my phone (yes, even library books can be read with the Amazon Kindle app). The Kindle app will sync up books with lap top and my phone, as I read on both. So handy. You can change the font so it's is easy for you to read. During this pandemic not having to touch a book that has been who knows where is a plus to me.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've a friend who lives in Rhode Island.
She recently sent me a letter (yes an actual hand -written letter lol) with book lists/suggestions for library finds, and/or ordering books off Amazon.
I'll dig out the letter and share it later.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'll dig out the letter and share it later.
Thanks for that!
I've read several of Kristin Hannah's books and just put Firefly Lane on hold. It's new on Netflix, but I'm going to try and hold out for the book before watching. I really liked her Angel Falls book.

Re: Kennedys
I watched (forgot where) Jackie, Joan, and Ethyl - The Women of Camelot a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for that!
I've read several of Kristin Hannah's books and just put Firefly Lane on hold. It's new on Netflix, but I'm going to try and hold out for the book before watching. I really liked her Angel Falls book.

Re: Kennedys
I watched (forgot where) Jackie, Joan, and Ethyl - The Women of Camelot a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Yes, I've seen that one too.
Tubi has quite a few Kennedy documentaries.

discovery+ has a part series on The Kennedy Detail, inside JFK's secret service.
I may check that one out this evening.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Melody Carlson - Westward Hearts
It's a Christian based historical fiction series. I'm on the third book now.
It's about an extended family in Kentucky who decides to leave Kentucky and join the wagon train on the Oregon Trail.

The first book starts with the family's decision to leave, preparing their wagons and teams, gathering supplies, and a lot of other stuff.
I really found it interesting when they actually joined up with the wagon train. There were all kinds of rules, and all kinds of stuff going on. It's really interesting to learn how they cooked, what they had to do to survive, etc.

I found the river crossings very interesting too. There's a lot of info in there too about how the Indians and Black people were treated in Oregon at that time.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Once again, I got a package from my long time friend in Rhode Island.
She's retired now, but used to work at the Naval War College.
We are both huge Kennedy and Royal fans.
I believe I've read the one on Chappaquiddick, but I'll read it again lol

20210507_123152.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Once again, I got a package from my long time friend in Rhode Island.
Nice friend :). I've read some of those.

I looked at my stash.
I remember reading Jackie O, but I must have thrown it away. I kept the Diana Chronicles - Tina Brown.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Can you tell that this is one of my favorite books of all time :mrgreen:.

Sandra Brown - Envy

Sass, I really want you to try this one. It has some really ummm sex scenes in there, but I don't think it's anything you can't handle.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Can you tell that this is one of my favorite books of all time :mrgreen:.

Sandra Brown - Envy

Sass, I really want you to try this one. It has some really ummm sex scenes in there, but I don't think it's anything you can't handle.
I can tell that's a well loved book lol