What are you reading?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Long Range by C.J. Box
It's a Joe Pickett novel set in Wyoming.

The book starts out like this:

Copied directly from an excerpt on Amazon:

"The sleek golden projectile exploded into the thin mountain air at eight thousand feet per second. It was long and heavy with a precise pointed tip and a boat-tail design tapering from the back shank, and it twisted at over three hundred and fifty thousand rotations per minute.

Designed by ballistic engineers and weighing one hundred and eighty grains, or slightly less than half an ounce, the bullet was entirely jacketed by a smooth gilding of ninety-five percent copper and five percent zinc, with a wall-thickness variation of near zero. The pointed red ballistic tip of the nose also served as a heat shield. The projectile was engineered to withstand the extreme aerodynamic heating effects produced by the speed of its trajectory.

Inside the jacketed round was a soft lead core. Upon impact and deep penetration, the ballistic tip would drive backward into the lead core and expand the projectile into a mushroom shape in order to create a large wound cavity."

My eyes glazed over, and I was thinking...Oops, this is not a book for me. I kept reading and am glad I did. Once the plot starts taking off, I was drawn in and am enjoying it now.

I still think it was written for a primarily male audience, especially a male audience interested in firearms and tracking predatory animals, not all of which are four legged.

Both male and female will probably like the mystery/murder stuff.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Girl in Trouble - Stacy Claflin
Mystery/Thriller about a kidnapping
Really good

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John Grisham's "King of Torts". It's excellent, as are all of his books, IMO. I had to look up "tort".

tort

a wrongful act or an infringement of a right (other than under contract) leading to civil legal liability.
"public nuisance is a crime as well as a tort"

People also ask
What is an example of a tort?

Tort. ... For example, a car accident where one driver hurts another driver because he or she was not paying attention might be a tort. If a person is hurt by someone else, he or she can sue in court. Many torts are accidents, like car accidents or slippery floors that make people fall down and get hurt.

Negligence is a common tort.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Re-reading Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. Haven't read her in years.

I haven't read any of those. One of my best friends was really into them. She planned a trip to New Orleans for us and our husbands. We did all the vampire/ghost tours. When it came to the cemetery part, I was a little skeptical. There were signs warning about muggings and purse snatchers. We did it anyway and survived.

Those were wildly popular books. Maybe I'll have to try them.

John Grisham's "King of Torts".

Read that, good one

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I read King of Torts too, and liked it. I enjoy all of John Grisham:s books.

Currently reading: The Innocent , A Will Robie Novel, David Baldacci

Much like Grisham, I enjoy all books by Baldacci

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re-reading Tom Clancey’s “Cardinal Of The Kremlin”

Just finished “And Grant You Peace” by Kate Flora.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished Lisa Gardner/Look for Me

It's about troubled families and the "sometimes" horrors of foster care. I know all foster care parents aren't bad people. Parts of it are pretty hard to stomach. It's a mystery/detective/vigilante book.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I read King of Torts too, and liked it. I enjoy all of John Grisham:s books.

Currently reading: The Innocent , A Will Robie Novel, David Baldacci

Much like Grisham, I enjoy all books by Baldacci

I just put one of his books on my holds list...1 of 16 :sad:. He must be a very popular author. I'll probably really enjoy his book because I do love Grisham. Thanks

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena (same author as Couple Next Door) really good book

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just finished Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena (same author as Couple Next Door) really good book

I finished that one about a month ago. Similar character set-up to Stranger, but another page-turner.

I like her style!

Doc, I like Baldacci, too!

Now reading "Hell's Kitchen" by Jeffrey Deaver. Liking it a lot, so far.

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re-reading Tom Clancey’s “Cardinal Of The Kremlin”

Just finished “And Grant You Peace” by Kate Flora.

Finished Cardinal of The Kremlin, reread Hunt For Red October, just started Death In Paradise by Robert Parker

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished The Castaways - Elin Hilderbrand

Really good, set in Nantucket

It's about four couples who are best friends. Problems arise when he loves his wife, she loves her husband....dah dah dah

Part of it is pretty sad.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Attachments

• 12B61B1F-8981-435C-A225-2803392A0FE6.jpg
    12B61B1F-8981-435C-A225-2803392A0FE6.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 17

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished Camino Winds - John Grisham

Grisham is definitely branching out. This book is not his usual style at all. Maybe he's just trying to prove that he can write something other than courtroom drama. I really liked it and want to read Camino Island, have to wait on that one though. This one would probably entertain both males and females.

Before that - 28 Summers - Elin Hilderbrand
This is written for more of a female audience.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've been doing a lot of reading lately. Anybody interested in picking a book to read together and discuss? I've done this before, and it was fun.

We decided on a point in the book and then came back and discussed. We then chose another point in the book and came back and discussed.

The best ones were the mystery "who-done-it" books. It was interesting to see who everybody expected to have "been the one."

I didn't really want to, but I read the Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. I think he's Stephen King's son, don't know that for sure though. That made me step out of my regular reading box, and I found that I really liked it. That wasn't really a "who-done-it", but was still a good discussion.

You have to take turns picking the book. If anybody wants to do this, I promise that I won't pick a total chick-lit book :lol:.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
OK, book discussion was a bust.

Since the last post, I've read Grisham's Camino Island. I liked it but not as well as Camino Winds.

I really liked this: His Hand in the Storm - Gray James Detective Murder Mystery and Suspense - Ritu Sethi - Some pretty gross stuff in this one.

Now I'm reading a fluff romance novel, don't even know the author.