What are you reading?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I think she could have been a better Mother to all those children, especially after Bobby was assassinated.
?
I'll agree that she wasn't that great of a mother, but I also feel like she wasn't a very nice person overall either. I think she had some jealousy and competitive issues with Jackie. I also think she had some racial issues with her staff too. I don't like her.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
James Patterson - 20th victim - Women's Murder Club - 11,775 reviews with a 4.5 rating - Another Lindsay Boxer book
I'm loving it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Shoveling Smoke - Austin Davis
Small town courtroom drama book very similar to Grisham's style
I'm only about 20% into it, but it is really funny at times.

One of the characters is an older but brilliant trial lawyer, but he's also a drunk. He pushes the line of the law, sometimes putting his toe a little over the line of the law but quickly drawing it back to the legal said. He reminds me of Lucien in Grisham's books.

Another character is Chandler Hardwick. He has own set of problems. Some of the town folks call him Chandler "Hard-dick," so you can probably figure out what his major problem is. He's also described as obese and reminds me of Harry Rex.

And then, there's the young lawyer who joins the two. He reminds me of Jake Brigance.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

One of the characters is an older but brilliant trial lawyer, but he's also a drunk. He pushes the line of the law, sometimes putting his toe a little over the line of the law but quickly drawing it back to the legal said. He reminds me of Lucien in Grisham's books.

Another character is Chandler Hardwick. He has own set of problems. Some of the town folks call him Chandler "Hard-dick," so you can probably figure out what his major problem is. He's also described as obese and reminds me of Harry Rex.

And then, there's the young lawyer who joins the two. He reminds me of Jake Brigance.

That one sounds good, Cooksie! I'll designate it as "want to read" on my Goodreads list.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good to me too. I'm in the midst of a Clive Cussler series but love courtroom dramas. It is on my to read list. Thanks.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It is on my to read list.
I think you'll like it.

I'm into The Crush - Sandra Brown
I haven't read much of it yet, but I'm getting shades of James Patterson's Kiss the Girls - Eeek!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm into The Crush - Sandra Brown
I haven't read much of it yet, but I'm getting shades of James Patterson's Kiss the Girls - Eeek!
I was wrong about the shades of James Patterson. That was a really good book though.

I've since read The Quiet Girl by SF Kosa:
"Dueling narratives propel this stunning psychological suspense...Hitchcock fans won't want to miss this nuanced, multilayered novel."—Publishers Weekly"

Multilayered is spot on. You have to be really paying attention.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I was wrong about the shades of James Patterson. That was a really good book though.

I've since read The Quiet Girl by SF Kosa:
"Dueling narratives propel this stunning psychological suspense...Hitchcock fans won't want to miss this nuanced, multilayered novel."—Publishers Weekly"

Multilayered is spot on. You have to be really paying attention.
I cannot stand books that take you here, there and everywhere like that.
A couple of my Kennedy books did the same.
Ugh...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John Grisham's "The Associate". Seems familiar. Maybe I saw the movie. That's okay, can't miss with a Grisham.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I started "On Duty With The Queen".
It's fantastic.
Dickie Arbiter, the author...was on a lot of news programming while I was in England, and was a guest several times on their morning breakfast shows, and talk shows. I love him and this book is VERY well written.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Right now I'm reading a James Patterson true crime book - Murder Interrupted. I've been getting some deja vu moments, maybe I've already read this.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm reading another CJ Box book with Joe Pickett, the game warden and Nate Romanowski, the master falconer. Some of it is gory. I'm fascinated by the falcon information, especially the peregrine falcon info.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"Joyland", a Stephen King "hard crime novel".

Loving it, natch.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Force of Nature - CJ Box, book 12

This is not my normal type of book. It's kind of fitting for the times with all the Afghanistan stuff going on. I guess it's about counterinsurgency. I'm not going to say much more because I don't want to ruin it for someone who might want to read it. I couldn't put it down. I had to keep telling myself....this is fiction, this is fiction.

From Amazon:
In 1995, Nate Romanowski was in a Special Forces unit abroad when his commander, John Nemecek, did something terrible. Now the high-ranking government official and cold-blooded sociopath is determined to eliminate anyone who knows about it—like Nate, who’s hidden himself away in Wyoming’s Bighorn Mountains. And he knows exactly how Nemecek will do it—by targeting Nate's friends to draw him out. That includes his friend, game warden Joe Pickett, and Pickett’s entire family. The only way to fight back is outside the law. Nate knows he can do it, but he isn't sure about his straight-arrow friend. And all their lives could depend on it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If You Tell, Gregg Olsen

This woman is pure evil. I'm only about halfway through it because I'm having a hard stomaching some of the things she does.

From Amazon: "After more than a decade, when sisters Nikki, Sami, and Tori Knotek hear the word mom, it claws like an eagle’s talons, triggering memories that have been their secret since childhood. Until now.

For years, behind the closed doors of their farmhouse in Raymond, Washington, their sadistic mother, Shelly, subjected her girls to unimaginable abuse, degradation, torture, and psychic terrors. Through it all, Nikki, Sami, and Tori developed a defiant bond that made them far less vulnerable than Shelly imagined. Even as others were drawn into their mother’s dark and perverse web, the sisters found the strength and courage to escape an escalating nightmare that culminated in multiple murders.

Harrowing and heartrending, If You Tell is a survivor’s story of absolute evil—and the freedom and justice that Nikki, Sami, and Tori risked their lives to fight for. Sisters forever, victims no more, they found a light in the darkness that made them the resilient women they are today—loving, loved, and moving on."

From Wikipedia:

"Michelle Knotek is an American convicted murderer from Raymond, Washington. She was convicted in 2004 of second-degree murder and manslaughter for her role in the torture and deaths of Kathy Loreno and Ronald Woodworth, who were both boarders in Knotek's home. Her husband, David Knotek, was also convicted of the murder of her 19-year-old nephew Shane Watson, who lived with the Knoteks. Michelle is also suspected of possible involvement in the death of James McClintock, an 81-year-old whose assets she inherited after he died of head trauma incurred while Knotek was employed as his caregiver on February 9, 2002"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If You Tell, Gregg Olsen

This woman is pure evil. I'm only about halfway through it because I'm having a hard stomaching some of the things she does.

From Amazon: "After more than a decade, when sisters Nikki, Sami, and Tori Knotek hear the word mom, it claws like an eagle’s talons, triggering memories that have been their secret since childhood. Until now.

For years, behind the closed doors of their farmhouse in Raymond, Washington, their sadistic mother, Shelly, subjected her girls to unimaginable abuse, degradation, torture, and psychic terrors. Through it all, Nikki, Sami, and Tori developed a defiant bond that made them far less vulnerable than Shelly imagined. Even as others were drawn into their mother’s dark and perverse web, the sisters found the strength and courage to escape an escalating nightmare that culminated in multiple murders.Yik

Harrowing and heartrending, If You Tell is a survivor’s story of absolute evil—and the freedom and justice that Nikki, Sami, and Tori risked their lives to fight for. Sisters forever, victims no more, they found a light in the darkness that made them the resilient women they are today—loving, loved, and moving on."

From Wikipedia:

"Michelle Knotek is an American convicted murderer from Raymond, Washington. She was convicted in 2004 of second-degree murder and manslaughter for her role in the torture and deaths of Kathy Loreno and Ronald Woodworth, who were both boarders in Knotek's home. Her husband, David Knotek, was also convicted of the murder of her 19-year-old nephew Shane Watson, who lived with the Knoteks. Michelle is also suspected of possible involvement in the death of James McClintock, an 81-year-old whose assets she inherited after he died of head trauma incurred while Knotek was employed as his caregiver on February 9, 2002"

Yikes, Cooksie! I Googled her and read some of the horrors she committed!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I'm finally reading this one. Just started it today. Interesting beginning for sure. :D

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yikes, Cooksie! I Googled her and read some of the horrors she committed!

Lee
I finally finished it this morning while I was sitting around and waiting for my car to be serviced. At the end of the book, there was a bunch of info. At first I thought she was a sociopath or psychopath, and maybe she is. The info described her as a sadist, one who enjoys seeing people suffer. She's supposed to be released in 2022.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I read Danielle Steel's book The Affair. It's a typical Danielle Steel book about women dealing with difficult family issues. It was good.

I tried Grisham's Sooley. I just couldn't get into that and had to put it down.

Now I'm reading Lone Rider/Wind River Bk5 by Lindsay McKenna. I'm loving this one. The setting is a ranch where both owners and all the wranglers on the ranch are Afghan Vets...some SEALS, some black ops, some Marines, some Medic type Vets, etc. It addresses the issue of PTSD for those returning Vets. It's a romance, but it's more than just your typical romance.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I got another delivery of books from my Rhode Island friend.
I'll spread them out on the bed and take a picture of them in a bit.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure I've read some of these years ago.
I'll know as I get into them.

20210919_173139.jpg
20210919_173149.jpg
20210919_173157.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm about 80% through this: Catch Me if You Can - Frank Abagnale

As I've been reading it, I'm thinking...there's no way somebody can get away with all those outlandish cons. I understand the movie is on Netflix. I want to finish the book first.

"The book is loosely based on the life of Frank Abagnale, a con artist. It is written in the first person and describes how Abagnale cashed $2.5 million worth of bad checks. He assumed various jobs, such as pretending to be a Pan Am pilot, a doctor, a teacher, and an attorney. Abagnale was eventually caught by the FBI while living in France and served approximately five years in prison — six months in France, six months in Sweden, and four years in the United States. The book ends with an epilogue telling the story of Abagnale's final capture and his rehabilitation, which resulted in the creation of his security firm.