Steelhead Trout on the Big Green Egg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The stores here in my part of Wisconsin have Steelhead. This recipe from my buddy Alan:

Steelhead Trout on the Big Green Egg
Soak a board for a few hours
Preheat Egg to 350. No plate setter.
Put a rub on the fish (only on one side) and let it sit about 1/2 hr.
Put the soaked board on the heat for 3 min. Then flip it and put the steelhead on - skin side down.
Shut lid and let cook for 20 min.

Bottom picture: Sauteed on the left, planked on the right, with sweet potatoes.

CIMG0652.jpg

CIMG0658.jpg

CIMG0660.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
steelhead is one of my favs -

are you getting wild caught up there?

Good question and I'll take a look at the store later today. The Steelhead might be Canada fish farmed like most of the Walleye we get.

Fran and I thought the Steelhead was at least as good as Salmon. To add, I thought the planked fish was better but I used some apple smoke when I Egged it so it's an unfair advantage.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Buzz, that must have been one huge trout!

I've only seen trout about the size of the photo below, which is supposedly an "Eastern Brook Trout".

I had it once on top of a salad in New Mexico. The flesh was brown. Didn't care for it.

I like the looks of your friend's trout, though.

Lee

Attachments

• trout.jpg
    trout.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 850

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The Steelhead was farmed in Chile.

I need to get an electric smoker that will maintain 160 degrees. The Egg won't do that easily enough.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I saw some in our market recently - it was farmed as well and it was a HuGe! filet compared to salmon right along side.

the color was not near what the wild steelheads are - I passed. actually I pass on all not-still-frozen fish from our Giant.

Johnny West

My bud caught a 10 lb+ steelhead in the Kalama yesterday. He said I could have some and will get it tomorrow.

How does the rub work? I like to pan fry in canola oil.