SilverSage Corned Beef Roast

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Two notes: Corned beef can be very salty. I put mine in a pan of water and bring to a boil. Then dump the water and repeat. Maybe a third time if your brand tends to real salty. You’re not cooking it, just kind of leaching out some of the salt. This is optional (you all know me and know how picky I am).

Second: Any combinations of hot and sweet will do on the honey mustard mix. Sometimes I use Chinese hot mustard with clover honey. Sometimes a grainy mustard, honey, and use a couple drops of hot sauce for the heat. I have a jar of gingerbread honey mustard that I like to add some hot sauce. Today I used Mike’s Hot Honey and a deli mustard.

Preheat oven to 300F.

Lay a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum
Foil across a sheet pan. Put the corned beef, fat side up, in the center. Poke 10 whole cloves into the top of the roast.

Combine the following:
3 T hot mustard
1 T honey
2 T brown sugar

Brush 2/3 of the mixture over the top, then seal the foil around the meat. Leave a lot of space inside for steam to build up. But make the seal tight to contain it.

Put in the 300F oven for about 2 hours, or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork. Open the foil and brush the remaining sauce on the meat. Turn the oven up to 375-400F and finish off the top for 10-15 minutes.

Slice and serve.

F48F552F-DB95-4901-BA53-3F8F68B89E38.jpeg

Johnny West

I have two frozen from last year. As soon as my wife gets off her vegetarian diet I will do this. Thank you.

Johnny West

I put mine in a Dutch oven, sealed the top with aluminum foil, then the lid. I made baste of Dijon mustard, honey, and truvia brown sugar. I have it at 275° for three hours and will pump up the heat the last hour. I’m in no rush to eat.

Johnny West

I learned a few things thinking I could do it my way… I was off. I should have foil wrapped the meat instead of baking it in the Dutch oven. It came out perfect but will be a dickens to wash.

I couldn’t find the whole cloves so gave the roast a dusting of cloves. The clove flavour came through without being overpowering.

Everything tasted great. Thank you, Silver Sage.

C31E9FD3-EB0E-476F-925C-6376669749B3.jpeg
4299B0BE-3090-416D-80D8-08BCEA38BE22.jpeg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks incredible!

I'm drooling over the cabbage dish!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is the only time of year that I buy corned beef. I got a 3 pounder originally marked over $20 (how crazy is THAT?) for under $4.

I'm going to try SS's method instead of boiling. I might use an oven bag rather than wrestling with foil. Maybe.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Did the corned beef SS's method, but without the sweet stuff or cloves. I used a combination of mustards I had and the spice packet. Wow! Excellent! Juicy and tender! I will do it this way again!

Served with fried cabbage (I think it was a recipe posted by Lora/Sass Muffin) - very good!

Thank you, ladies, for teaching this dyed-in-the-wool New Englander some new ways of enjoying corned beef and cabbage! Oh, and thank you, John, for the idea of using the wok to fry the cabbage - it was perfect!

Lee

dinner.jpeg

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
So glad you enjoyed it. The flavor doesn't get leached out into the boiling water. The fat melts and bastes the meat as it cooks, leaving it much more flavorful.