Pickled Bologna

SilverSage

Resident Crone
This is my mother-in-law's recipe. It's a real Michigan thing. You can find it in the convenience stores and gas stations around the State in big glass crocks.

1 lb Ring Bologna
2 tsp Pickling Spice
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
12 Bay Leaves
1 tsp Salt
2 cloves Garlic
4 cup White Vinegar
2 cup Water

Place the ring bologna in a glass jar or container with a tight fitting lid.
Add all the spices & seasonings.
Pour water & vinegar into container, making sure the meat is completely covered.
Refrigerate for at least 3-4 days.
Slice off chunks, and store the remainder in the refrigerator, in the brine.
pickled bologna.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This is my mother-in-law's recipe. It's a real Michigan thing. You can find it in the convenience stores and gas stations around the State in big glass crocks.

1 lb Ring Bologna
2 tsp Pickling Spice
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
12 Bay Leaves
1 tsp Salt
2 cloves Garlic
4 cup White Vinegar
2 cup Water

Pour water & vinegar into container, making sure the meat is completely covered.
Slice off chunks, and store the remainder in the refrigerator, in the brine.
Yep, it's in Ohio too.
In the cold cuts section of the grocery stores. It's in jars too.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made your photo huge, and it's a little scary, LOL!

I would love this, too. My store carries Boar's Head, but I have not seen ring bologna. I will ask them.

Seems to me that I've made pickled bologna before, but I cut it into chunks before putting it in the brine.

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I made your photo huge, and it's a little scary, LOL!

I would love this, too. My store carries Boar's Head, but I have not seen ring bologna. I will ask them.

Seems to me that I've made pickled bologna before, but I cut it into chunks before putting it in the brine.

Lee
You can cut it first - it doesn't matter. I've just always done it whole, then cut as needed.

Johnny West

1 lb Ring Bologna
2 tsp Pickling Spice
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
12 Bay Leaves
1 tsp Salt
2 cloves Garlic
4 cup White Vinegar
2 cup Water

Slice off chunks, and store the remainder in the refrigerator, in the brine.View attachment 46889
That is identical to the one I found and will give it a try once I can get out to a shop. Thanks!

Johnny West

Where I grew up the taverns had pickled eggs, pigs feet, and turkey gizzards. The gizzards were more of a Minnesota thing as there were so many Turkey farms around Winona.