Paella

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherm, Time to bring this to the top. I've made more than a few paella's and paella's vary to the cooks that make them, just like a haggis. They do not need to be loaded with seafood. I happen to live in an area rich in seafood so it's not a problem, but they can be made with a combination of chicken thighs and legs, Spanish or Basque chorizo, mussels and shrimp. One can use rabbit, squirrel, or any manner of game bird.

The rice I use is bomba rice that is grown in Spain specifically for paella and it requires plenty of fluid. I keep 3 or 4 boxes of low sodium chicken broth on hand as well as a 1.75 liter bottle of warm pinot grigio to add to the rice cooking.

I fry the chicken and chorizo first, take off the pan, fry the rice, then add the fluids, saffron and smoked paprika, & veg; meat goes back to the pan and seafood last. Usually I'll fry garlic and onions separately, then add back.

I do them camping and for parties and will do one soon.

Luckily I live in the Seattle area and can shop at The Spanish Table. They ship, too.

http://www.spanishtable.com

The first recipe I ever used was in the old Time Life Spain Cookbook.

I have a ton of pictures and will try and find a few to post.
Copper Wok with Steamer Insert..jpg

Hi, Johnnie West. After giving it some thought, & instead of getting a paella pan, which would probably be too big or too small, I decided that I'll use this Chinese wok (below)).
I've used it already to make some Chinese fried rice. Started getting some things, such as the Spanish Bomba rice & some saffron. I plan to use some chicken drumsticks (already in the freezer), peas & carrots (should also be in the freezer) I'll add some Italian sausages, shrimp, scallops, maybe a can of tomatoes, some chicken or veggie stock, the rice & saffron with a few spices (nothing hot). I'm only going to use 1 to 1-1/2 cups of rice. By the time that everything is added, this will probably be enough for about four people. I'll add the seafood last, since it doesn't take that long to cook , & if it is in there too long, it becomes too tough to eat. Also, too much saffron will make it taste like medicine!! :eek:
Copper Wok with Steamer Insert..jpg