Looking for a pellet smoker grill

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And I know nothing about them.
Anyone have one? Any ideas on what is the best pellet smoker grill?
I do not need a big one, space can be an issue. I would cook ribs and roasts in it but not turkeys.
Your thoughts please.

Ironman

🍺
I’ve had a Green Mountain pellet grill for a few years now. I haven’t had any problems but you have to read the manual. When it doesn’t work you have to know what to look for, like a bad igniter or if there aren’t any pellets in the pot. Heat shield has to be 4 1/4 inches from the left side to get even heat. Mine has WiFi and server mode. I can go to the tavern and see the temperature of my meat and also the temp of the grill from my phone. I can also turn it up, down or off. From the bar 10 miles away lol. Most pellet grills can be finicky. I have what they call “the ledge”. Manufactured in china.

if I was to get another one I would take a quick look at Rec Tec grills. I’ve heard good things about them also. Another china grill tho.

but there are a handful of pellet grills made in the USA and you will pay for them. Most likely over 1K. I’m not familiar with any domestic models but that’s what I’d probably get. Research research research.

whatever you get make sure to season it first. Inside and out. My Girlfriend was jealous of my grill when I first got it
:lol:

Reactions: Doc

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a pellet cooker, but as a member of a world-wide competitive BBQ community for 10 years, I heard about Traegers most often.

I don't know if you can access this Consumer Reports link, Doc and everyone else, but I'll include it in case:
https://www.consumerreports.org/products/grills-28939/pellet-grills-34428/view2/

Traeger Ironwood 650 TFB65BLE Grill is the top-rated for 2022, at$1.200. (Which is a lot less than I thought it would be!)

Mark's Green Mountain brand (Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone Prime Plus WiFi Grill) came in 8th and looks very respectable, with an $800 price tag.

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you both for posting. Good info. I also hear Treagers mentioned most often and everyone talks highly of the green egg so wondering if Green Moutain and Green Egg are same parent company? I should have included a price point, but I do understand you get what you pay for. I've been looking for a few hours now and I decided on a 500 dollar small grill. I can't go to the bar and see the temps but I'll learn to live with that.

I had looked at a Treager and liked it. Plus a couple others. Then I found Reqtec and Ironman posted a link to them so ....
I liked what I saw. And they had a small one like I was hoping for.
I'm hoping to have it by the 14th so I did not procrastinate for a change.
I bought the RT-B380 Bullseye Wood Pellet Grill Plus 200 pounds of pellets and a grill pad. I'll be set now. 500 dollar grill with 100 dollars of pellets (200 pounds). That should last me a long while. LOL
Here is a pic:
SmokerRT-B380.JPG

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations, Doc! Can't wait to see what you produce with your new cooker!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Lee.
I have some Bahama Mammas in the freezer just waiting for the grill to get here. :D
Ribs will be on the agenda shortly after that.

Ironman

🍺
Congrats on your purchase Doc! Now for the mods, lol. Don’t forget to season it first!

Custom grates. This is where I went:

if you like “fall off the bone” ribs, check out this link. You will amaze your guests. Some bbq snobs say it’s over done but I love them that way. 3-2-1 method. Head country makes a good bbq sauce

like a boat or camper or garage, you will probably wish you went bigger :yankchain:
A rib rack will help. I’ll attach a pic.

371D783A-09B8-41B0-9434-BAE7B5140FDD.jpeg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome Mark. Thanks for all the tips. :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I thought bahama mamas were nationwide. Oops.

Schmidt's Jumbo Bahama Mama Pack Category Food A creation from our German meat packing family who possess over 120 years of sausage making experience. The Bahama Mama is a fully cooked natural hickory smoked sausage made from specially selected lean cuts of beef and pork, blended with our secret spice pack formulation.

Schmidt's is home based in German Villiage in Columbus Ohio. Love that place. We lived up there about 20 years and would go to Schmidts often, if we could get in the door. Sometimes the wait was to long and we'd go elsewhere. You can order online and have them sent to you.

more info:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have the grill put together and seasoned. Had a bit of a time getting it started and had to contact recteq for help. They saved the day. We went through diagnostics and got it going. Instructions were lame and I followed them to a T. This caused a problem as the fire pit had to many pellets in it. Got it going now though.

Now, what to cook first on there. Hmmm undecided. Bahama mamas mentioned earlier will be cooked on there tomorrow. when friends and family visit. But I'll have to try something on there today. Undecided what.

I was in the store the other day and a huge guy behind us in line had 3 or 4 big racks of ribs. We commented and got to talking. Told him I can't wait to try ribs on my new grill. He said look up the 3-2-1 method. Goof proof and you'll love em. LOL Same thing Ironman mentioned. I've looked at it and it does sound goof proof. Will try it one day soon.

Ironman

🍺
The only other tool you might want to have is a meat thermometer. With the exception of the 3-2-1 ribs, you will be cooking by temp, not time. I have an instant read thermometer and an inkbird.

Inkbird Bluetooth Grill BBQ Meat Thermometer with 4 Probes Digital Wireless Grill Thermometer, Timer, Alarm,150 ft Barbecue Cooking Kitchen Food Meat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QDC5VL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Pq4jsnpVK2Msa

You will want a thermometer to make sure your grill temp true. Make sure it’s at *225 when you set to 225 and not really at 175. You really need to know this, especially on long cooks. That inkbird link I posted has a food probe (3) AND a grill temp probe that sits up off the grill a bit. Go in the house and check it on your phone. And remember, if you’re lookin you ain’t cookin! :lol:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I bought this stovetop smoker from Amazon. Makes delicious-tasting smoked meat indoors on the stove!! :whistling:
Stovetop smoker..jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are you seeing any action in that new smoker yet @Doc ?
For sure. Have used it quite a few times. I like it. It works great. But I only use it when the kids are in from here on out. Wife has decided she doesn't like smoked stuff. :bonk: So I tried it with the grill up to 425. That keeps the smoke to a minimum. Still to much for her. She prefers the old fashioned propane grill. Sometimes I can't win. Guess who bought 200 pounds of pellets so I'd have a good stock and not run out. LOL I haven't even used half of one of the 40 pound bags. Such if life.

Johnny West

For sure. Have used it quite a few times. I like it. It works great. But I only use it when the kids are in from here on out. Wife has decided she doesn't like smoked stuff. :bonk: So I tried it with the grill up to 425. That keeps the smoke to a minimum. Still to much for her. She prefers the old fashioned propane grill. Sometimes I can't win. Guess who bought 200 pounds of pellets so I'd have a good stock and not run out. LOL I haven't even used half of one of the 40 pound bags. Such if life.
My wife decided she doesn’t like smoke either. It’s a PITA. It’s what I do.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thank you both for posting. Good info. I also hear Treagers mentioned most often and everyone talks highly of the green egg so wondering if Green Moutain and Green Egg are same parent company? I should have included a price point, but I do understand you get what you pay for. I've been looking for a few hours now and I decided on a 500 dollar small grill. I can't go to the bar and see the temps but I'll learn to live with that.

I had looked at a Treager and liked it. Plus a couple others. Then I found Reqtec and Ironman posted a link to them so ....
I liked what I saw. And they had a small one like I was hoping for.
I'm hoping to have it by the 14th so I did not procrastinate for a change.
I bought the RT-B380 Bullseye Wood Pellet Grill Plus 200 pounds of pellets and a grill pad. I'll be set now. 500 dollar grill with 100 dollars of pellets (200 pounds). That should last me a long while. LOL
Here is a pic:
View attachment 47107

WOW!! That looks so nice, Doc!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My RecTeq takes 10 mins to get to 225. And 15 to 20 to get to 450. Seemed slow when I first got it but used to those times now.
Confused on what you call 'preheat'. On the oven once preheated you are at the desired temp. Times are out of range though, it should get to temps way faster.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure no pro at pellet grills, I just bought my first one this year, but seems like your pellet feeder is not feeding pellets fast enough. More pellets should equal faster heat up I'd guess.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never used an offset but if comparing I'd say pellet is more like propane but better since the temp is regulated. Set the temp and the grill does the rest.