Lets See Your Rack

High Cheese

Saucier
Here's mine. There's also a small generic spice rack on the counter that I swap out annually. You can just see a pine box in the cabinet on the left that holds various herb and spice blends the DW brought back from Georgia.

IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have those little risers on the bottom, but I still have to dig to find things.

P1010003.jpg

homecook

I've bought those, brought them home and they were too big for my cupboard. lol It helps to measure first.....

homecook

Oh, I didn't see those.......the ones I bought were too high for my short cupboard. lol I would have only been able to use the bottom shelf.

Deelady

I'm trying to figure out today how to hang a long shelf in my pantry that looks the same as yours Barb! But hubby says we need a stud finder (HA I thought I had already found one! ;) ) and I'm trying to figure out if the brackets we have will work......someone else in this house (I wont name names) isn't as motivated in this project as I am.....grrrr :(

homecook

Oh, those are shorter than the ones I had. These were two steps and if I put something on the top shelf, well, I couldn't....

As for the shelves.......when they were installed they had to use tap screws because of the weight going on them. I don't know what to tell you........how long are your shelves? Mine are 6 ft. and I have 5 brackets. I also have a 4 ft. with 3 brackets. If yours aren't that long you may just need molly screws in the wall. Hey, I'm no carpenter. lol

Deelady

Mine is a little over 5 ft, I planned to use my rolling cart for my canned goods, and wanted the shelf for boxed goods ect....

Last edited:

homecook

Mine is a little over 5 ft, I planned to use my rolling cart for my canned goods, and wanted the shelf for boxed goods ect....

Are the brackets the skinny ones that are angled when put up? I've done that before. I think I used 3 brackets for a 5 ft. shelf. I just kept paper goods on it. You would definitely need the molly screws if you don't have the stud......get him moving!!! LOL

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
The IKEA magnetic knife rails are great! I have them running all the way around my kitchen at home and I have two of them mounted vertically on my cabinets next to the sink here. (You can see them in the pic of the pot racks, which are really IKEA curtain rods.)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My favorite it the 2nd from the right if you don't hit the stud. These you screw in then put the mounting screw into them. They hold more weight than any other drywall mount I've ever used.

Attachments

• drywaancho.jpg
    drywaancho.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 217

homecook

Okay, maybe I spelled it wrong or worded it wrong. (I said I'm not a carpenter.) You know the insert you have to put in the wall if you don't have a stud. You put the screw in and the flaps open up in the back to secure it. lol Toggle bolt I guess is another name for it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That would be the 1 from the right in the picture I posted. They are OK for some thing but shelving works best if no stud with the second from the right. They will hold about 150 to 200 lbs for each one without tearing out. Depending on the size you buy. They also come in other colors besides sizes.

chowhound

I think I know what you mean now, Barb. Not the metal, spring toggle bolts, but the plastic ones that expand the "wings" as you tighten the screw. I've seen those, but don't know/remember what they are called. I think they came with something in a mounting hardware bag. Yeah, those are pretty good fasteners. I wouldn't even know what to ask for if I had to get them.

The one you mentioned, Joe, I am much more familiar with. Those things rock. And you can knock them into the drywall with a semi-hard rap of your hand on the screwdriver. Yep, they hold a lot of weight.

chowhound

OK. Google is our friend...
Yeah, Joe, that first one from the right is called a molly anchor. I never ran into those before.
This is what I thought Barb meant and here's the link to a bunch of drywall anchors.

Attachments

• plasticwing2.jpg
    plasticwing2.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 219

Deelady

Oh goodness we dont have any of those......question.....there are some left in the walls in our laundry room from something previosly hanging , I don't suppose there is a way to remove those and reuse them is there??
Just a shot in the dark.
I'll post a pic of what I do have, with hopes we find studs.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
I like JoeC choice for convience. For Maximum support. Toggle it.
I earthquake proofed 100's of San Francisco's offices (4 drawer Lateral files,
5 high book cases ect) with L Brackets & toggle bolts.
images

Deelady

Ok here is what I have....first is the anchors still in the wall...dont know if they can be reused...?

second isthe same type of L shape wall mounts I have a few of.

and third is the shelf itself I want to hang.

Attachments

• hoover 187.jpg
    hoover 187.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 212
  • hoover 188.jpg
    hoover 188.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 205
  • hoover 189.jpg
    hoover 189.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 200
  • hoover 190.jpg
    hoover 190.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

homecook

Well, see..........I really did know what I was talking about. LOL

And no I didn't ask DH because he knows less than I do......he'll gladly admit it too!