baked Cranberries

Mr. Green Jeans

BAKED CRANBERRIES WITH COGNAC, ORANGE ZEST AND WALNUTS

(Can be done ahead - great served hot, warm, room temperature or chilled.)

1 bag fresh cranberries washed and picked over

1-1/2 cups sugar or to taste

1/4 cup Cognac or brandy

Juice and Zest of one large orange

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (opt)

Mix together berries, sugar, cognac, juice and zest. Place berries in sprayed shallow casserole. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes 1 hour, or until berries have absorbed most of the liquid and have popped. Sprinkle with nuts. Serves 8-10.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This sounds great, Mr. GJ! I'd like to try it!

Lee

Oooh - this looks delicious. Once we're through with the leftover roast goose from Xmas, I'm thinking I'll have to make this to accompany a nice duck I have in the freezer.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
BAKED CRANBERRIES WITH COGNAC, ORANGE ZEST AND WALNUTS

(Can be done ahead - great served hot, warm, room temperature or chilled.)

1 bag fresh cranberries washed and picked over

1-1/2 cups sugar or to taste

1/4 cup Cognac or brandy

Juice and Zest of one large orange

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (opt)

Mix together berries, sugar, cognac, juice and zest. Place berries in sprayed shallow casserole. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes 1 hour, or until berries have absorbed most of the liquid and have popped. Sprinkle with nuts. Serves 8-10.
The recipe, Kathy?

Lee
Recipe

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I make it every year. I always make lots of extra, so we can eat it on toast - it keeps forever in the fridge. It gets quite firm when chilled.

One year I made brie tarts with the leftover. Cut small squares of puff pastry and put them in mini muffin cups, wiht the corners sticking out/up. Then put a blob of the cranberry in each, and top them with a hunk of brie. Bake until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. Great appetizer for the holidays.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I make it every year. I always make lots of extra, so we can eat it on toast - it keeps forever in the fridge. It gets quite firm when chilled.

One year I made brie tarts with the leftover. Cut small squares of puff pastry and put them in mini muffin cups, wiht the corners sticking out/up. Then put a blob of the cranberry in each, and top them with a hunk of brie. Bake until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. Great appetizer for the holidays.
Oh my gosh, that sounds heavenly, SS!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We were watching that new twist show of DDD where Guy F. has the restaurants ship him the ingredients and he and his older son cook the dishes under video supervision of the chef/cooks that sent them. He made a cranberry relish with jalapenos to go on a sandwich last night. I bet you could add a little fresh jalapeno to the above recipe or even some chile powder from dried peppers like jalapeno or even ghost, scorpion, etc. if you wanted a little kick. Bet that would even be good in SS's appy, which sounds wonderful BTW.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I made 1/4 recipe of the cranberry relish and added about 1/8 tsp ghost chile pepper. It gave a little bite, could probably go up to 1/4 tsp, even more if a chile head. Have to say Silver Sage had a great idea.
2020-10-27 18.00.43.jpg