Amana Pickled Ham

Johnny West

One of the traditions in the Amana Colony restaurants is to have a bowl of pickled ham on the table. It used to be included in the price of a meal but is now charged separately. There are many recipes on the net. I used Smithfield Hickory Smoked Ham slices which I cubed. Today tried this one and the house smells quite nice from the boiling of the brine. The picked ham will be one of the appetizers for Easter dinner.

96BBE453-6954-46C5-8158-6F4C9FD5C8B1.jpeg
D5169296-CAD6-4D0A-9F5C-176795BCBB0C.jpeg

013239D9-F704-468C-89C0-D713CE63B727.jpeg

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Is it just a bowl of ham chunks, like with toothpicks for picking up or it is served with something else? We've been places that have freebies like various breads or pastries, even pickles in deli restaurants, but never something like a bowl of ham cubes so I'm curious.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Love this idea!

So, you don't add the onions and pickling spice to the jar with the ham cubes and brine?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Love this idea!

So, you don't add the onions and pickling spice to the jar with the ham cubes and brine?

Lee

The recipe says you put everything in a pan to make the brine. I think it's 1 of those recipes that assumes you would know to put the ham and the brine in a jar after the brine boils.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe I should have said "liquid" instead of "brine". I see the onions in John's photo now.

Please tell us how you and your guests like it, John!

Lee

Johnny West

Love this idea!

Lee
no, the pickling spice goes into a spice bag witch is boiled and discarded. The onions are in with the ham. I layered the onions and are difficult to see in this picture. I know they will like it as they have had mine before as well as at the Ox Yoke.

Johnny West

Is it just a bowl of ham chunks, like with toothpicks for picking up or it is served with something else? We've been places that have freebies like various breads or pastries, even pickles in deli restaurants, but never something like a bowl of ham cubes so I'm curious.
the ham goes into a bowl and folks just help themselves. I have little cocktail forks we use to serve. The pickled ham is a tradition in the restaurants in the Amana Colonies. My folks were going there before I was born. My dad said after the war he would order a t-bone and it would fill the whole plate.