777 goes into nosedive & almost Crashes into the Pacific Ocean!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
A 777 aircraft belonging to United Airlines took off from Maui, went to just over 2,000 feet, then plunges into a nosedive to just under 800 feet above the Pacific Ocean!! It was reportedly flying in stormy weather. This incident happened on December 18, 2023.It had just been broadcasted recently. :eek:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Yikes.
I've been on flights many times where we've hit bad turbulence OR made a sudden drop in altitude.
Not fun!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yikes.
I've been on flights many times where we've hit bad turbulence OR made a sudden drop in altitude.
Not fun!

The sad part is that United Airlines never mentioned this strange mishap until just a few days ago. What were they hiding?!! Neither was the FAA told about it, nor was NTSB!! The plane just went berserk & had a mind of its own!! The passengers on that plane must've been scared the :poop: out of!! They were screaming & thought that they were going to die!!! Strange!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The sad part is that United Airlines never mentioned this strange mishap until just a few days ago. What were they hiding?!! Neither was the FAA told about it, nor was NTSB!! The plane just went berserk & had a mind of its own!! Strange!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
Guess we'll have to find out.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Guess we'll have to find out.

Yes! I mean, I've flown to & from Hawaii SEVERAL TIMES, but never have I encountered anything like THAT!!! The 777 is a wide-bodied jetliner, one of the most highly technological jetliners of it's time. & it is only slightly smaller than the 747, which is now not being made, so why did this plane go out of it's mind then? One has to wonder!! I'd think twice before going back to Hawaii!! :eek: :eek::eek:

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
The plane didn't just go crazy. There was a bad flash of wind shear. Usually it isn't a problem, but this was a very serious case. The very well-trained pilots knew what to do. Just like a car on ice, we are taught to turn INTO a skid, not against it. The experienced pilots were trained to do the same thimg. Go with it until they got low enough for the wind to get back underneath the wings. Then let the wind lift the plane back up. It takes nerves of steel to wait that out, but training and experience won the day.

Posts like this on social media only serve to make people unecessarily nervous. It was serious, but modern pilots are well trained to handle issues like this. We racked up over 75,000 miles between the 2 of us in the air last year, and this does not deter me from flying this year.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Sage.
I've been on flights going out of Detroit then destination being Leeds/Bradford stop off in Schiphol then back around as the route goes with turbulence always over Shannon, Ireland before landing.
The pilots had always been in control of the planes, but I wasn't on occasion lol

Shermie

Site Supporter
The worst thing that happened while I was on a DC-10 & was when an engine was having a problem, but the plane was still on the ground. It hadn't taken off yet, & when it did, everything else was fine!! :)

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks Sage.
I've been on flights going out of Detroit then destination being Leeds/Bradford stop off in Schiphol then back around as the route goes with turbulence always over Shannon, Ireland before landing.
The pilots had always been in control of the planes, but I wasn't on occasion lol
i love Detroit Metro airport. It's one of the easiest, best, on-time in the country. When I lived in Michigan i used to fly from that a lot. Now, I only use it to go "home" to see family.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The 777 in total, had suffered 7 hull losses in its time, during, or at the end of a flight. Despite this, the plane is still preferred by many as the best, biggest & most comfortable aircraft to fly on, especially since Boeing had stopped making the 747!! The 777 is now Boeing's biggest wide-bodied jetliner!! :whistling:

Shermie

Site Supporter
The 777 in total, had suffered 7 hull losses in its time, during, or at the end of a flight. Despite this, the plane is still preferred by many as the best, biggest & most comfortable aircraft to fly on, especially since Boeing had stopped making the 747!! The 777 is now Boeing's biggest wide-bodied jetliner!! :whistling:

Further investigation into this incident by the FAA & the NTSB had revealed that miscommunications between the 2 pilots had caused the plane to plunge to 800 feet above the Pacific Ocean. The 777's controls were set wrong. But luckily, the 777 was able to get out of it, thanks to the skill of the 2 pilots!!! A similar incident like this happened with TWA. A Boeing 727 years ago. The plane went into a nosedive & almost crashed, that time it was over land!! :eek:

Last edited:

Ironman

🍺
My last flight from Miami we hit some bad turbulence. This one passenger started screaming and the whole plane went silent. She was terrified!!! When they turned off the seat belt sign she went straight to the bathroom. I’m pretty sure she crapped her pants. 😂
Another time we made an emergency landing in Nashville for a guy that had a stroke or something a few rows behind us. He looked gray when they wheeled him by 🫤