Gold Site Supporter
FB_IMG_1709151074147.jpg

Jusa

I know people who do that too.
Also the use of old texting.
INR, FR... etc..
Just TYPE out your reply please.
Or is that plz? 🤣
I don't mind writing things out in email, but I actually will use some shorthand when texting, at least with my kids anyway, because that's where I learned it. I dislike typing on my phone keyboard even though I have a big ole' Samsung phone. My fingers may be small but I am still clumsy and slow at typing on it. I am fast as a whiz on a computer keyboard though.
Ewwwww. Yeah, no thank you
Yeah and that neighbor not only texts "prolly" that's how she says it, too. Perfectly nice lady with a heart of gold but it does drive me a little batty. Oh, and she says, "Pacifically" instead of "specifically", too. I once said innocently, "Oh, as in specifically in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?" She just looked at me blankly and I changed the subject.

LastManStanding

I know people who do that too.
Also the use of old texting.
INR, FR... etc..
Just TYPE out your reply please.
Or is that plz? 🤣
I have a pathological hatred towards the use of Z like that. I thought it was a Sri Lankan thing.
I went to the clz yesterday. Plz send me a msg.
I usually don't answer anything that has prostituted the letter z like that. Or used msg for message.
It took me a long time to figure out FR when I first heard it.

LastManStanding

I don't mind writing things out in email, but I actually will use some shorthand when texting, at least with my kids anyway, because that's where I learned it. I dislike typing on my phone keyboard even though I have a big ole' Samsung phone. My fingers may be small but I am still clumsy and slow at typing on it. I am fast as a whiz on a computer keyboard though.
You can use predictive text on keyboard :D
When texting came to Sri Lanka some 25 years ago, teachers at schools were teaching how to shorten words. I was strongly opposed to it. lol. I told them that students come to school to learn the correct words and spellings, not to lose what they already know. :D

Jusa

You can use predictive text on keyboard :D
When texting came to Sri Lanka some 25 years ago, teachers at schools were teaching how to shorten words. I was strongly opposed to it. lol. I told them that students come to school to learn the correct words and spellings, not to lose what they already know. :D
My phone keyboard changes words on me all the time, slows me down. I hate it. "NO, that's not what I meant to say!!!!"

I've seen some rather funny stuff online about autocorrect texts that were sent to family and friends...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🍂
Gold Site Supporter
My phone keyboard changes words on me all the time, slows me down. I hate it. "NO, that's not what I meant to say!!!!"

I've seen some rather funny stuff online about autocorrect texts that were sent to family and friends...
While texting my friend Jules, there have been many times where her phone autocorrected a word.
She corrects it, then I beat her to it with the correction.
That's hilarious.

Jusa

Me too. I usually stop listening after that swap.
Anyway I thought that was a Sri Lankan thing. Now I know that the disease is everywhere in the English speaking world.
I have acquaintances in Europe and Mexico who make fewer grammatical errors than some people who have English as their first language...actually, their only language! And man do they know how to butcher it!!!!

People who use "peek" instead of "pique", such as, "That really peeked my curiosity" ugh. Or people (some who are rather well-educated), who use the word "discrete" instead of "discreet" in writing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Using the word "ignorant" when meaning "despicable"or "rude" or "criminal".

People on a neighborhood social media site complain about the rotten behavior of others, such as, "This ignorant jerk dumped his soiled mattress in the rented dumpster on my property".

Jerks are jerks because they KNOWINGLY do things they shouldn't. Certainly no "lack of knowledge" here.

There is an "informal" definition online that explains what is meant by people who incorrectly use the word. It's another case of an incorrect use of word or phrase or grammar that is so widespread it becomes part of the dictionary.

Lee

LastManStanding

Using the word "ignorant" when meaning "despicable"or "rude" or "criminal".

People on a neighborhood social media site complain about the rotten behavior of others, such as, "This ignorant jerk dumped his soiled mattress in the rented dumpster on my property".

Jerks are jerks because they KNOWINGLY do things they shouldn't. Certainly no "lack of knowledge" here.

There is an "informal" definition online that explains what is meant by people who incorrectly use the word. It's another case of an incorrect use of word or phrase or grammar that is so widespread it becomes part of the dictionary.

Lee
To the best of my knowledge ignorance is "foolishness due to uneducatedness" (not sure if the last is really a word 😅). But I don't find that meaning in a dictionary anymore. It has been watered down to just lack of information.