The Queen of Rock & Roll Tina Turner dies.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
FB_IMG_1685048850317.jpg

Ironman

🍺
Didn’t really care for her music, to each their own. She wasn’t the only Queen of rock & roll. Rolling Stones magazine named Janis Joplin (much better imo) and Stevie Nicks “Queens of rock.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Didn’t really care for her music, to each their own. She wasn’t the only Queen of rock & roll. Rolling Stones magazine named Janis Joplin (much better imo) and Stevie Nicks “Queens of rock.

Not a fan of Janis ... at all. I do like Stevie Nicks. LOVED Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane and Ann Wilson of Heart.

Lee

Reactions: Doc

Ironman

🍺
Not a fan of Janis ... at all. I do like Stevie Nicks. LOVED Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane and Ann Wilson of Heart.

Lee
Some folks don’t like Janis, I was one of them before becoming a fan of true classic rock 🙂 Sass don’t like Janis either. Jefferson Airplane will always be remembered as a band that cranked out timeless classics back in the day.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Nah, I was never big on Janis Joplin.
Never understood the fascination of crowds getting all excited about a drunken drug addict who screamed and moaned instead of singing.

I liked Tina Turner in the 80s.
After she ditched Ike with 36 cents in her pocket, never looking back.
Queens of rock: The Wilson Sisters/Heart, Chrissy Hynde, Stevie Nicks, Grace Slick... etc..😊

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahh don't be so rough on Janis. She was fantastic. Pearl kicks butt of all the other so call 'Queen of RR" singers IMHO. Janis singing Kris Kristofferson's Me and Bobby McGee, and Cry Baby are bone chilling. As well as Mercedes Benz to make you smile.
Grace Slick came close but the JA music has not stood the test of time like Janis's has. All the others, Including Tina evolved from the early masters Janis and Grace.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahh don't be so rough on Janis. She was fantastic. Pearl kicks butt of all the other so call 'Queen of RR" singers IMHO. Janis singing Kris Kristofferson's Me and Bobby McGee, and Cry Baby are bone chilling. As well as Mercedes Benz to make you smile.
Grace Slick came close but the JA music has not stood the test of time like Janis's has. All the others, Including Tina evolved from the early masters Janis and Grace.

Oh, "bone chilling" isn't a bad description - I shudder when I hear her, LOL!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL I get it. I'm older and grew up with her music before we knew anything of drugs and alcohol issues.
But at the time her music fit in with Big Brother and the Holding Company, the Airplane, Zepplin, Spooky Tooth, Ten Years After and other alternative bands of the time. I loved it all and grew up with it and the woodstock generation. I think a lot of what you like is what you grew up with and cut your teeth on. Other is just different tastes. It's all good.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I first saw Tina live in 1970 or 71. Nobody ever did a show like she did. It's still my favorite concert of all time - even better than Cher. She and Grace Slick were both around several years before Janis.

Couldn't stand Janis - still can't. She doesn't sing - she just screams, IMO. Most don't consider her work 'hard rock', but 'psychedelic or acid rock'. She didn't really break through until she joined Big Brother and the Holding Company, circa 66-67. She was only around a couple years, since she died in 1970.

Tina started earlier - in the early 60's. She broke though in the mid-60's. She left a much bigger body of work.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I first saw Tina live in 1970 or 71. Nobody ever did a show like she did. It's still my favorite concert of all time - even better than Cher. She and Grace Slick were both around several years before Janis.

Couldn't stand Janis - still can't. She doesn't sing - she just screams, IMO. Most don't consider her work 'hard rock', but 'psychedelic or acid rock'. She didn't really break through until she joined Big Brother and the Holding Company, circa 66-67. She was only around a couple years, since she died in 1970.

Tina started earlier - in the early 60's. She broke though in the mid-60's. She left a much bigger body of work.
I recall reading something at one time that a lot of influence came to many of the current and past true Queens of rock, from women like Mavis Staples, for example.
I can see it.