Albacore Tuna

Johnny West

are in. I got a call from Merino’s in West Port this afternoon to let me know the tuna are in. We are going Saturday to pick up 60 pounds so Sunday we will be canning. I have a recipe for smoked tuna belly I want to try, as well.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
are in. I got a call from Merino’s in West Port this afternoon to let me know the tuna are in. We are going Saturday to pick up 60 pounds so Sunday we will be canning. I have a recipe for smoked tuna belly I want to try, as well.

I have never had tuna belly, smoked or otherwise, but just the name of it intrigues me!

Lee

Johnny West

I‘m knackered… we went to Westport, got there about 10 AM and was told tuna would not be ready till noon. They had two 220 pound orders to fill before ours. We saw a lot of signs for black cod for sale at dock 8 so headed there and found out it was the captain of the charter I used to use. He is a commercial fisherman now. We bought two black cod which we had never had before. To make a long story short, we had lunch at Merino‘s, got our tuna and headed to our son’s in south Seattle to get another pressure cooker, came home, and started canning tuna. We got 38 half pints done by 10 PM. Tomorrow we will can more tuna, freeze some, and freeze the black cod.

0B8F693E-6F65-4AEA-8EA4-026A5E50909E.jpeg
4B0F7DDF-AD37-4FCE-A61D-9C393B3F2041.jpeg

Johnny West

Oh, and the tuna bellies are very small. I looked up recipes and saw several for eating raw with some Japanese sauces.

Johnny West

The last batch is in the pressure cooker. We froze some steaks, bellies, and got the black cod frozen. We agreed this is our last time canning tuna. …and yes, I know I got my month wrong on the packaging.

52F892E3-C999-4719-BD7E-5F35673361C8.jpeg
D2AA31A0-8466-49D5-BAEE-9E32B02CD140.jpeg
1A0EA702-C45F-4A5A-8118-23604E7021CB.jpeg
E037F9FA-B68D-4EDE-B875-9CD624FF8711.jpeg
599A60EE-EA59-469C-BFC5-7F58DDF4CA78.jpeg
43DFD9CE-30C7-4C9D-B5F6-44D0C7D2B61B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Very impressive! Once it's in the jars and has been in the pressure cooker, is it fully cooked?

Edit to fix: Duh

Last edited:

Johnny West

Wowwwwww, what a lot of work, John!

What liquid is in the canned tuna?

Lee
It was a lot of work and learned a lot, but will never do it again. I’ll stick to canning tomatoes.

The liquid is water and there is no salt added. One could use olive oil and add spices you like. We prefer it plain.

The tuna is pressure cooked at 10 pounds of pressure for an hour and fifty minutes.

Johnny West

I love black cod, also known as sablefish, and occasionally called butterfish. I make it a couple of ways.

How do you cook it, John?
I have never had it before. What do you do with it? Chuck gave me two Japanese recipes to try. He had it the other night and said it was excellent.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have never had it before. What do you do with it? Chuck gave me two Japanese recipes to try. He had it the other night and said it was excellent.
Both of mine are Asian, too. Google the Nobu Miso Black Cod . It's all over the internet. I don't marinate it more than a few hours though, it's too strong otherwise.
THe other is a ginger soy glaze, then pan sear. I like most proteins, fish included, cooked lightly, not well done. Black cod is the exception. Make sure it's cooked through otherwise the texture is very odd.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Sablefish with ginger soy glaze over ramen
Marinade:
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
4 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp grated ginger
2 clove garlic

Marinate 2 black cod filets in a shallow dish skin side up for an hour.

1 Tlb Oil
cooked ramen noodles
Scallions, sliced on diagnal
Black and/or white sesame seeds
Lime wedges
Cilantro optional

Pour the marinade in a saucepan and reduce till thickened
In a non-stick skillet (important) heat some oil to medium high.
Add fish, skin side down, and sear undisturbed 4-5 minutes.
Flip carefully and cook another 4-5 minutes.
Remove the skin and serve over ramen noodles.
Drizzle glaze over fish, garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
Serve with lime wedges.

Sablefish Ginger Soy Glaze 2.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny West

Both of mine are Asian, too. Google the Nobu Miso Black Cod . It's all over the internet. I don't marinate it more than a few hours though, it's too strong otherwise.
THe other is a ginger soy glaze, then pan sear. I like most proteins, fish included, cooked lightly, not well done. Black cod is the exception. Make sure it's cooked through otherwise the texture is very odd.
Chuck, the commercial fisherman, gave me Nobu’s recipe! I will try that first. When my oldest got married in Vegas, we ate at Nobu but only ate a ton of sushi.

Johnny West

After all this time I finally got around to grilling tuna steaks and bellies. I have many excuses but not anymore. It was really good. The tuna was basted with soy sauce.

ECE98511-6E67-4FED-8D71-2F0F89435952.jpeg
1937AAC1-2219-4B82-B09C-8050B878EEFC.jpeg
1F8836D3-34FA-4612-A6AA-2A318ADC76D0.jpeg
595A5F99-49C3-478D-8155-BF9ACA0BE49A.jpeg

Johnny West

I forgot about this one… that ginger sauce she made for tonight’s tuna would be good with the black cod.