Flat iron steak IS what everyone says it is!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know there are other threads here about flat iron steaks, but I haven't tried it myself until tonight.

A dear friend of mine, who is an excellent cook, griller and bbq'er, said he pan-fried his flat iron steak and it was the most tender steak he'd ever had.

So, that's the way I did it, too.

Sprinkled some Adobo and steak seasoning on both sides, heated a little olive oil in a cast iron pan, and seared the crap out of it (setting off the smoke alarm), a couple -three minutes on a side, until it was 115 on my thermopen. Let rest 10 minutes.

Sliced lengthwise, since it was across the grain. PERFECTLY PERFECT!

It was, indeed, tender, juicy and lean! Great steak and I will definitely get another one!

This would be an excellent cut for a cheese-steak sandwich! Or kabobs.

I am very impressed!

Lee

Attachments

• Flat iron steak 1.JPG
    Flat iron steak 1.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Flat iron steak 2.JPG
    Flat iron steak 2.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 377

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we also had a flat iron for din-din tonight.

I salt/pepper mine and let come to room temp (about an hour) then in the oven at 175F smothered with (pre-sauted mushroom&onion) for roughly 90 minutes - use thermometer in thickest part....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am not a big steak eater, but when I want one, this is going to be my cut of choice from now on. SO tender and delicious!

Rubbed with Arizona Dreaming (from Penzey's) and Adobo, pan fried to 115 degrees.

The smallest piece will be more than two meals for me.

Lee

Attachments

• Flat iron steak 1.JPG
    Flat iron steak 1.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 313
  • Flat iron steak 2.JPG
    Flat iron steak 2.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 318

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only thing I do different is cook in Ghee (clarified butter) which has a much higher smoke point than most oils and just before taking it out of the pan use a flavored butter over it (garlic butter for example). Let it rest for a few minutes and slice it down. Another good one is hanger steak also which is some times called other things.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, the suggestion of using Ghee is a great one!

There are lots of Indian markets near me, and they sell jars of it, so I don't even have to do any extra work!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, the suggestion of using Ghee is a great one!

There are lots of Indian markets near me, and they sell jars of it, so I don't even have to do any extra work!

Lee

I make my own about twice a year (2 lbs total) but the store bought stuff is also excellent but a bit more expensive.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Those steaks look so GOOD!! But can I have mine a little more well done, please? Hah!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those steaks look so GOOD!! But can I have mine a little more well done, please? Hah!!

Sherm, when I reheated the leftovers in the microwave, the steak cooked to a medium-well. STILL tender, juicy and delicious!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherm, when I reheated the leftovers in the microwave, the steak cooked to a medium-well. STILL tender, juicy and delicious!

Lee

Be careful though!

Sometimes reheated steaks, chops and other beef cuts can become tough to chew and can feel like you're eating a piece of leather!! :sad:

K

Kimchee

My happy day was the one when I went into Kroger and found eight of them priced at $1.99 a pound.
It's what London Broil wants to be, haha.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My happy day was the one when I went into Kroger and found eight of them priced at $1.99 a pound.
It's what London Broil wants to be, haha.

THAT is a steal!:wow:You lucky dog!

Do you think it was a mistake, Kimchee? I think I paid $7.99/lb for mine! Good thing I only wanted one pound!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Lee -

flat iron freezes well. it is actually the only beef cut I buy with the intent to freeze.

our market does a buy one get one free deal time to time and I stock up.
it's normally in the $8-9/lb range - so that makes it not $2/lb but close(r)

Shermie

Site Supporter
I should get some of this, vacuum seal and freeze it to keep on hand for when I want to try it!! :eating2:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I am not impressed with flat iron. I'd rather have a shell/NY strip instead :wub: sorry

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
done gone did another flat iron.

this stuff is fabulous when cooked "right"

did my usual mushroom & onion saute; made a dry rub, really really fancy - salt, FGBP, tad of garlic powder.
blotted dry, rubbed on about 2 hrs prior to cook start; left on the counter; did an olive oil drizzle just pre-oven.
into oven at 275'F - about 45 minutes to 130'F per thermal measuring doohickey.

thin slice on the bias - no knife required - it's like buttered prime.

DW likes hers a bit more done - slices on the roasting platter back into the (now turned off) oven for 3-4 minutes; out with the pink, in with the brown, works for her.

turned a left over chunk into a sandwich next day - same deal, thin slices, bit of stone ground mustard, dressed with the mushroom/onion mix. fabulous.

I just plain ole' do not recommend cooking flat iron "fast" (*) - the low and slow breaks it down and makes it uber ultra tender & yummy.

(*) sliced thin 'in the raw' for stir fry / Tex-Mex type dishes does work. but for cooking "whole" the low&slow method much more better.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Chowder - you slow-roast it in the oven?

I've never done that with a tender cut. Pretty neat!

Lee

K

Kimchee

A while back I was wandering through Kroger, and to my delight, I found the flat iron steak priced at $1.99 a pound.
Yes, I bought all eleven of them at that price.

(In my defense, I recently picked up an 18 pack of Coors that should have been
$13.99 and rang up at $5.99. I didn't buy a truckload, I informed the manager on
duty. Then I cried. ;) ; ) )

bbqguy

In place of olive oil, I have been using tallow which I make myself. High smoke point, low cost and healthier than vegetable oils.

Johnny West

Tallow is the rendered out suet from beef or lamb.
I image the pig leaf fat rendered for lard could be
called tallow, too. Wiki does a good tutorial on tallow.

I took the nice white fat from the inside cavity of
the heifer elk we killed and rendered it down in a
cast iron skillet then fried the elk to med rare.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got one for 6 bucks (!), and grilled it (gas grill, though).

I actually like pan-seared better!

Lee

Attachments

• Flat Iron steak 1.JPG
    Flat Iron steak 1.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Flat Iron steak 2.JPG
    Flat Iron steak 2.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 112

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
interesting twist on the recent flat iron.... in the package it looked quite "normal" - but when I flipped it over it had an extra "flap" of meat.

but I ate it anyway (g) super hot sear, then 250'F oven to finish for about 10-15 minutes. the thing I like about these is the thinner end gets done faster, so works for DW who likes 'well done' while I focus on the thicker medium rare bits . . .

and the leftovers are right tasty cold . . .

Attachments

• DSC_5028.jpg
    DSC_5028.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_5029.jpg
    DSC_5029.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_5032.jpg
    DSC_5032.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_5037.jpg
    DSC_5037.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_5038.jpg
    DSC_5038.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 101

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
MMMmmmm looks great, Chowder!

I bought one this week, too, and hope to have it later on in the week.

I love the cast iron pan for this cut, too - I do the entire cook in the pan, no oven.

Lee