What's your favourite mustard?

buckytom

Grill Master
in chatting with mama over a recipe recently, i realized that i'm a bit of a mustard freak. i have so many that i thought i'd list them, and see if anyone enjoyed the same ones, or could offer suggestions for what kind they like.

i have: colman's powder, colman's english (jar), gulden's spicy brown and honey mustards, maille dijon and wholegrain dijon, grey poupon dijon, newman's own light honey mustard, stonewall kitchens maine maple champagne mustard and roasted garlic mustard, emeril's smooth honey mustard, morton and bassett brown mustard seeds, mccormick yellow mustard seeds, and an artisnal mustard from vermont that i can't recall the brand name.

mustard goes on so many things, from meats, to cheese (especially good with cheddar or swiss), to salads and veggies.

ok, so, what's your favourite mustard? any special brands or blends that you prefer?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, you are a mustard freak! :lol:

One of the different ones I love is BookBinder's Hot Habanero Mustard.

It's a brown mustard with a trace of heat.

Tastes a lot like a Dijon, but has a little kick. Oddly enough, even though they say Habanero, the kick is NOT that hot. More like a very mild Jalapeno.

Attachments

• mustard.JPG
    mustard.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 191

buckytom

Grill Master
i've seen bookbinders in the stores around here. i wonder if it's jewish/kosher, along the lines of gold's horseradish?

i'll have to keep a look out for the habanero one you mentioned, keltin. thanks.

oh, i just remembered the vermont mustard. it's shelburne farms - or something like that. their green peppercorn mustard. i haven't tried it yet.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
French's yellow is the only one I ever use on sandwiches, burgers, dogs, meat prep for barbecue.

Coleman's powdered for deviled eggs, etc.

I only use dijon if it's crucial to a recipe. Can't stand honey, raspberry or otherwise sweetened mustards.

Garlic mustard sounds interesting, though!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I'm a Guldens spicy brown kind of guy. I do have the Coleman's powdered and Ikeep the Frenches Yellow for the tourists.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have Boar's Head Deli style, Grey Poupon Coarse Ground, Maille Dijon, Guldens Spicy Brown, Coleman's Dry, and hot Chinese Mustard.

Can't stand French's Yellow, but like Andy, keep it around for other folks.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I also keep about six different mustards in the door of the fridge;
but THIS is my favorite;
Mustard.jpg

I've found it only at Sam's Club, tho'..........

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, up until yesterday my favorite was Grey Poupon Deli Mustard with horseradish :lol: On BT's recommendation, I went to the store yesterday and decided to try the Maille dijon and wholegrain dijon. I can't decide which I like better. Both are delicious and are now my new favorites. I also have Gulden's spicy Brown mustard (I use that along with brown sugar and crushed gingersnaps for a crust on my spiral sliced hams) , Gulden's honey mustard and French's Yellow mustard that no one eats anymore :lol:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I use that along with brown sugar and crushed gingersnaps for a crust on my spiral sliced hams

Oh, Goody ! Do you have that written down Mama ?
I'd like to try that !
12_12_12.gif

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Grey Poupon Dijon, but it looks like I need to branch out and try some others.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a Grey Poupon Dijon fan as well but this thread has opened my eyes and in the future probably my sinuses. I'll check the store for Bookbinder's Habanero. Thanks, Keltin.

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I just made myself a Cuban sannie for work, and added I think a little too much Gulden's.
Shook the bottle, then opened it to squeeze some on, it came out in big plops on the ham.
I ain't scraping it off either.. I am looking forward to how it's going to taste when I eat it.
:lol:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh, Goody ! Do you have that written down Mama ?
I'd like to try that !
12_12_12.gif

I just brush on maybe a 1/3 cup of the Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard all over the outside of the ham, press in about 2 cups of light brown sugar and then press in about 2 cups of gingersnap cookies that have been turned into crumbs in the food processor. You'll need to bake it about a hour on 350 after you put the crust on. It is AMAZING. Everyone always want's the pieces that have the most crust :lol:

High Cheese

Saucier
I have Boar's Head Deli style, Grey Poupon Coarse Ground, Maille Dijon, Guldens Spicy Brown, Coleman's Dry, and hot Chinese Mustard.

Can't stand French's Yellow, but like Andy, keep it around for other folks.

I have all those except Colemans and the Chinese mustard.

I do use French's Yellow on hotdogs, spicy brown too. I love mustard on brats and I use a dollop of dijon in pan sauces sometimes. Cab/dijon/thyme pan sauce is great on steaks.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have more than six kinds of mustard in the fridg. French's yellow mustard and 3 differnt kinds of dijon mustard .. but my all time favorite is:

inglehoffer Sweet Hot mustard. This stuff is GOOD. It will clear your sinues if you get to much of it in one bite, but I love the KICK!!!!!

Attachments

• inglehofferSweetHotMustard.jpg
    inglehofferSweetHotMustard.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 159

buckytom

Grill Master
ooh, i forgot chinese mustard. but i only have those in little packets.

i'm going to have to look for the inglehoffer, and the beer-n-brat mustard.

one mustard i don't like is french's yellow. just too plain for me.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Goulden's spicy brown and Tabasco spicy (hot) brown

Attachments

• tabasco_spicy_mustard.jpg
    tabasco_spicy_mustard.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 156