Whats Cooking NCT Sunday 12/7/14 to Sat 12/13/14?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Since nobody else started a thread for this week, I'll just go ahead and post some pics from this week. Tuesday was pork chops, Wednesday we went to a dinner at my amateur radio club, Thursday was my 4-cheese tortellini and today was a crock pot chicken. I took the chicken carcass and started a small pot of soup. Don't waste a good carcass.:yum:

Attachments

• Dinner 120914.jpg
    Dinner 120914.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Dinner 121114.jpg
    Dinner 121114.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Dinner 121214.jpg
    Dinner 121214.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Dinner 121214 Soup.jpg
    Dinner 121214 Soup.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 108

Embryodad

Been hectic here. Wife is busy up at the church with gifts and sorting for presents (toys) for the less fortunate children, and some adults. It's hard when only three people are running the operation, and no one else will pitch in. Tina is not in the best health, but she enjoys doing it. She say's,"I was one of those poor kids when I was growing up!"

So I've been sitting and trying to keep the place going and watching her Uncle 91, who is staying with us for care.

I managed to cook a ring of fresh kielbasi today, and made DW's favorite side of Potato Salad.
I made tuna salad for the uncle with no mayo ( he has the old thinking that mayo has eggs and will cause salmonella and make him sick.
I just used olive oil to moisten the tuna.... I did make a batch for Tina and me with mayo.

Made spaghetti with a plain sauce for GD. She doesn't eat kielbasi, tuna, or potato salad. Fussy just like her dad.

Embryodad

I'll be having good old grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Hi Sass Muffin....

When you say... Tomato soup, what kind do you use? Do you make your own?

I loved the Campbells brand for years, but now, it is so flat and tasteless.
They removed the sodium content during the canning / cooking process.
I guess by adding some salt during heating the soup would maybe bring back the taste?

I used to eat the soup by first adding a pat of butter in the center, then black pepper around the edges of the bowl. Then swirl the melted butter and carefully spoon the soup so as to get a little butter with each spoon full. LOL

As kids, mom had one of those tin round griddled cheese makers with wood red handles. It folded the bread and cheese and made like a pie of toasted bread and cheese. Had to be sure the bread was buttered well so it would not stick.

Hence, the name of the Griddled cheese became a "Toasted Cheese" because we used the gas flame on the cooktop to toast it. That was the greatest thing and made the best crunchy griddled cheese. Only thing was the fight to see who got the first one made!
I think they still are available in camping supplies. Gives me an Idea to get one for Tina for Christmas as a stocking stuffer.

We have a pannini machine (electric) but the old fashioned sandwich maker was the best tasting. We also have that electric sandwich maker that was sold by Ron Popiel in the 60's. It's in a box somewhere in the cellar or attic. hahahaha

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Sass Muffin....

When you say... Tomato soup, what kind do you use? Do you make your own?

I loved the Campbells brand for years, but now, it is so flat and tasteless.
They removed the sodium content during the canning / cooking process.
I guess by adding some salt during heating the soup would maybe bring back the taste?

I used to eat the soup by first adding a pat of butter in the center, then black pepper around the edges of the bowl. Then swirl the melted butter and carefully spoon the soup so as to get a little butter with each spoon full. LOL

As kids, mom had one of those tin round griddled cheese makers with wood red handles. It folded the bread and cheese and made like a pie of toasted bread and cheese. Had to be sure the bread was buttered well so it would not stick.

Hence, the name of the Griddled cheese became a "Toasted Cheese" because we used the gas flame on the cooktop to toast it. That was the greatest thing and made the best crunchy griddled cheese. Only thing was the fight to see who got the first one made!
I think they still are available in camping supplies. Gives me an Idea to get one for Tina for Christmas as a stocking stuffer.

We have a pannini machine (electric) but the old fashioned sandwich maker was the best tasting. We also have that electric sandwich maker that was sold by Ron Popiel in the 60's. It's in a box somewhere in the cellar or attic. hahahaha

Hi Jimmy! :biggrin:
I rather like the Campbell's Slow Kettle style tomato and basil bisque.
Progresso's hearty tomato is my favourite though, when it comes to a canned soup.
It says not to add water or anything, but I always cream it, with a little whole milk and it's lovely that way.

Yes, I have made my own and it's nothing difficult really.
Canned tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, whatever herbs and seasonings you like.
With homemade, I never use salt.. heck I rarely salt anything anyhow.
Cream is added toward the end.

Embryodad

Hi Jimmy! :biggrin:
I rather like the Campbell's Slow Kettle style tomato and basil bisque.
Progresso's hearty tomato is my favourite though, when it comes to a canned soup.
It says not to add water or anything, but I always cream it, with a little whole milk and it's lovely that way.

Yes, I have made my own and it's nothing difficult really.
Canned tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, whatever herbs and seasonings you like.
With homemade, I never use salt.. heck I rarely salt anything anyhow.
Cream is added toward the end.
Thanks Sass.... I guess they reduced sodium from a lot of products this day.

We generally don't add salt when eating, but we do salt lightly when cooking.
Like last night, Tina cooked angel hair spaghetti for GD, and I snuck a finger full to taste, and I could not swallow it. Tina did not salt the water when cooking it! LOL