What are you reading?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finished it. With all that's going on with Russia right now, the psychological warfare aspect of the book is pretty creepy. The ending is good, and everything works out. It's SCI-FI, so whatever. The author is so good that you have to keep reminding yourself that it's SCI-FI.
I finished the Atlee Pine novel and I'm back at 'Open Secret'. To me it seems more like a romance novel with a little sci fi thrown in. ...and I misspoke or mis-posted earlier when I said I 'own' it. I don't own it but I checked it out from Kindle Prime so I have it as long as I want.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, it is. I was kind of surprised that you were reading it :giggle:.
LOL Me too. I was having a hard time finding something I wanted to read while waiting on the Atlee Pine novel to come available from the library. I thought it was a FBI action type book. But I'm over 50% through it so I'll finish what I started.

LastManStanding

Been reading a lot on Wikipedia lately. One article leads to 10 others and so on, lol.
Sometimes you find really fun news on Wikipedia too (except for political stuff of course)
One such interesting piece of news is that if you can remember the search engine "excite" that was there in the mid 90s, together with Yahoo etc.,
One day two university students came there to sell a search engine for 1 million dollars. Vinodh Kohsla bargained it down to 750k, and was later kicked out for that, and Excite outright rejected the search engine.
Long story short, it was Larry Page and Sergey Brin that came there to sell their search engine!
Today no one has even heard of Excite, except for a very few people like me who can still remember. And you know where the 750k search engine is today. :):LOL:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Billy Summers - Stephen King
Just finished this, loved it

I loved the book within a book. The basic training part was really funny. It really gave the you some understanding of how he was shaped as a person from his childhood experiences and his Iraq experiences.

As a reader I wanted to love Billy Summers, but then I had kind of step back and say....OK, but look at what he's doing. I was kind of torn between what he was doing and why he was doing it.

I'm not too keen on the ending.

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Billy Summers - Stephen King
Just finished this, loved it

I loved the book within a book. The basic training part was really funny. It really gave the you some understanding of how he was shaped as a person from his childhood experiences and his Iraq experiences.

As a reader I wanted to love Billy Summers, but then I had kind of step back and say....OK, but look at what he's doing. I was kind of torn between what he was doing and why he was doing it.

I'm not too keen on the ending.

Cooksie, I haven't finished the book yet! Do you mind that I deleted your last few words, for others?

Lee

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I took a trip to the Salvation Army store and picked up an armful of books, 99 cents each. Just started John Grisham's "The Whistler". Man, he is one helluva great writer!

Where are you getting your books, Cooksie?

Lee
I just put a hold on Grisham's The Judge's List, the second Whistler book. Can't wait for it to roll through. I'm #12 of 25 copies, so it probably won't be long.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sandra Brown - The Blind Tiger

It's set in Central Texas during Prohibition. It's about illegal distilling of moonshine, bootlegging, and some murder mixed in there too.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Family Money - Chad Zunker, over 21,000 4.5 ratings on Amazon, Mystery/Thriller
I think it's the first book of his that I've read.
Really liked it.

A dead man’s secrets put a family in peril in a twisting novel of suspense by the Amazon Charts bestselling author of the David Adams series.

Alex Mahan is married to his high school sweetheart, Taylor. They have two daughters and a beautiful home, and Alex’s startup business is about to explode thanks to massive private funding from his compassionate and supportive father-in-law, Joe. With millions more to come, all is perfect—until Joe is abducted and murdered during a family trip in Mexico

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Loved the Judge's List

This was really good too - Unmissing:
A return from the past knocks a family dangerously off-balance in a novel of spiraling suspense by Washington Post and Wall Street Journal bestselling author Minka Kent.

It's a thriller with over 7,000 good ratings. Several twists and turns in there that are really eye opening

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Chad Zunker - The Tracker - Sam Callahan, Book 1
It's one of those hard to put down books.

From Amazon:
"Trust no one. Sam Callahan learned this lesson from a childhood spent in abusive foster care, on the streets, and locked in juvie. With the past behind him and his future staked on law school, he is moonlighting as a political tracker, paid to hide in crowds and shadow candidates, recording their missteps for use by their opponents. One night, after an anonymous text tip, Sam witnesses a congressional candidate and a mysterious blonde in a motel indiscretion that ends in murder, recording it all on his phone.

Now Sam is a target. Set up to take the fall and pursued by both assassins and the FBI, he is forced to go on the run. Using the street skills forged during his troubled youth—as well as his heightened mental abilities—Sam goes underground until he can uncover who is behind the conspiracy and how far up it goes. A taut thriller with an unforgettable young hero, The Tracker is a heart-stopping debut from an exciting new voice."

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Chad Zunker - The Tracker - Sam Callahan, Book 1
It's one of those hard to put down books.

From Amazon:
"Trust no one. Sam Callahan learned this lesson from a childhood spent in abusive foster care, on the streets, and locked in juvie. With the past behind him and his future staked on law school, he is moonlighting as a political tracker, paid to hide in crowds and shadow candidates, recording their missteps for use by their opponents. One night, after an anonymous text tip, Sam witnesses a congressional candidate and a mysterious blonde in a motel indiscretion that ends in murder, recording it all on his phone.

Now Sam is a target. Set up to take the fall and pursued by both assassins and the FBI, he is forced to go on the run. Using the street skills forged during his troubled youth—as well as his heightened mental abilities—Sam goes underground until he can uncover who is behind the conspiracy and how far up it goes. A taut thriller with an unforgettable young hero, The Tracker is a heart-stopping debut from an exciting new voice."
Sounds right up my alley!
Thanks Cooksie.
I'll look for it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Five Total Strangers - Natalie Richards
Great suspense/thriller

A New York Times Bestseller

A "page-turning thriller that will keep readers guessing until the very end" (School Library Journal) about a road trip in a snowstorm that turns into bone-chilling disaster, from New York Times bestselling mystery author and "master of tension" (BCCB) Natalie D. Richards.

She thought being stranded was the worst thing that could happen. She was wrong.

Mira needs to get home for the holidays. Badly. But when an incoming blizzard results in a canceled connecting flight, it looks like she might get stuck at the airport indefinitely.

And then Harper, Mira's glamorous seatmate from her initial flight, offers her a ride. Harper and her three friends can drop Mira off on their way home. But as they set off, Mira realizes fellow travelers are all total strangers. And every one of them is hiding something.

Soon, roads go from slippery to terrifying. People's belongings are mysteriously disappearing. Someone in the car is clearly lying, and may even be sabotaging the trip—but why? And can Mira make it home alive, or will this nightmare drive turn fatal?

Ironman

🍺
Just delivered! I got this used hard cover for 10 bucks on Amazon. Very interesting guy with great ideas 😎

52FD49D8-7C7B-4E3B-BBDE-DE4E7C184B4D.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"True Believer" by Nicholas Sparks. Not my usual genre, but my neighbor gave it to me and I figured I'd give it a try.

He does write well, and the protagonist is investigating strange lights in an old cemetery, so I'm interested!

Lee