What are you reading?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished this: Malibu Rising - over 19,500 4+ reviews on Amazon- loved it

"NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • Read with Jenna Book Club Pick as Featured on Today • From the author of Daisy Jones & The Six and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo . . .

“Irresistible . . . High drama at the beach, starring four sexy, surfing siblings and their deadbeat, famous-crooner dad.”—People

Four famous siblings throw an epic party to celebrate the end of the summer. But over the course of twenty-four hours,
the family drama that ensues will change their lives will change forever."

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Another really good book with over 48,000 4.5 ratings on Amazon
The Last Thing He Told Me -Laura Dave

"Before Owen Michaels disappears, he smuggles a note to his beloved wife of one year: Protect her. Despite her confusion and fear, Hannah Hall knows exactly to whom the note refers—Owen’s sixteen-year-old daughter, Bailey. Bailey, who lost her mother tragically as a child. Bailey, who wants absolutely nothing to do with her new stepmother.

As Hannah’s increasingly desperate calls to Owen go unanswered, as the FBI arrests Owen’s boss, as a US marshal and federal agents arrive at her Sausalito home unannounced, Hannah quickly realizes her husband isn’t who he said he was. And that Bailey just may hold the key to figuring out Owen’s true identity—and why he really disappeared."

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Another really good book with over 48,000 4.5 ratings on Amazon
The Last Thing He Told Me -Laura Dave

"Before Owen Michaels disappears, he smuggles a note to his beloved wife of one year: Protect her. Despite her confusion and fear, Hannah Hall knows exactly to whom the note refers—Owen’s sixteen-year-old daughter, Bailey. Bailey, who lost her mother tragically as a child. Bailey, who wants absolutely nothing to do with her new stepmother.

As Hannah’s increasingly desperate calls to Owen go unanswered, as the FBI arrests Owen’s boss, as a US marshal and federal agents arrive at her Sausalito home unannounced, Hannah quickly realizes her husband isn’t who he said he was. And that Bailey just may hold the key to figuring out Owen’s true identity—and why he really disappeared."

That one's on my "want to read" list on Goodreads.

I recently finished listening to the audiobook "The Other Mrs." - excellent!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
"The Other Mrs." - excellent!
I'll have to try that one. Sounds like something that I would like.

Edit to add: I'm on a wait list for that one. Had to get The Good Girl in the mean time.

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to buy Katie Couric's tell-all book, Going There.
The reviews are mixed.
The New York Post sort of made her out to be a bitch because of the content, but I've always liked her, watched an interview with her recently where she states she was simply being honest.
She throws a lot of people under the bus apparently.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
C.M. Sutter - Blood in the Bayou - Really good

It's a detective book about people who live in the Louisiana swamp areas. It's about a serial killer who abducts young women, kills them, and then dismembers them. If you have any intention of reading the book, then don't read the spoiler:

He boils them and eats them...:ohmy:

Spoiler isn't showing up right now, maybe someone can fix it for me....please.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It Ends With Us - Colleen Hoover - over 41,000 ratings on Amazon of about 4.5

I'm really liking this. I'm only about 1/2 through the book.
It's basically about an abusive father and a weak mother who both care more about what people in the community think rather than doing the right thing for their daughter.

From Amazon:
"Lily hasn't always had it easy, but that's never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She's come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up - she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily's life suddenly seems almost too good to be true."

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Legal Thriller - Misjudged - James Chandler - Sam Johnstone book #1

"When a disabled veteran takes a new job as an attorney in a small Wyoming town, he is thrust into a mysterious murder case.
But after a local woman is brutally murdered, Sam realizes that things aren’t so quiet in this rural American town. The accused is one Tommy Olsen, a known delinquent who had been sleeping with the victim. Sam is repulsed by the crime and wants nothing to do with the case, but meets with Tommy to make sure he has legal representation."

Really good, kind of similar to Grisham's style and plot
I have the next 2 books lined up to read next.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've read all three of the free Sam Johnstone books, #4 isn't free.

Loved #1. #2 was good but had a lot of graphic PTSD stuff in it.

I really loved #3. The main character in that book is a female character who is a total piece of work. I despised her from the very beginning. She's one of those females who think they can get by on their looks alone. I really loved the ending. It's one of those What Goes Around, Comes Around endings.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've read all three of the free Sam Johnstone books, #4 isn't free.

Loved #1. #2 was good but had a lot of graphic PTSD stuff in it.

I really loved #3. The main character in that book is a female character who is a total piece of work. I despised her from the very beginning. She's one of those females who think they can get by on their looks alone. I really loved the ending. It's one of those What Goes Around, Comes Around endings.

Excellent! I will look for Sam Johnstone - thanks, Cooksie!

I just finished "Desperation" by Stephen King. Can't imagine how he snuck that one past me - it was written in 1995. Started off great, but, as with many of Steve's, it was too long.

Reading "The Inn" by James Patterson and someone else. As with many of Jim's, it's a quick read, and set locally in Gloucester, MA.

Listening in the car to Dennis Lehane's "Since We Fell", which is holding my interest.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
"Desperation" by Stephen King.
There’s a sister to that book called “The Regulators”. Was published at the same time and is a mirror of Desperation. I read them both years ago. If you have both books hold them side by side to see a whole picture. One is by King and the other is by his Richard Bachman name.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There’s a sister to that book called “The Regulators”. Was published at the same time and is a mirror of Desperation. I read them both years ago. If you have both books hold them side by side to see a whole picture. One is by King and the other is by his Richard Bachman name.

I read "The Regulators", Peep, though I don't remember it. I didn't know that they were related.

I think I've read all of Richard Bachman's, but not sure. Steve's son, Joe Hill, is a good writer, too.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Willow Rose - Eva Rae series

Book 1:

When twelve-year-old Sophie Williams went on a Girl Scout summer camp, she never returned home.

Three months later, her body is found inside her sleeping bag in the most frequented area of Cocoa Beach, and the town is outraged.

The girl isn't just any child. She's the town's most beloved surf idol, and it was believed that she could be the next Kelly Slater.

As another child, the son of a well-known senator is kidnapped, and the parents receive a disturbing video, FBI profiler Eva Rae Thomas — who has just returned to her hometown, divorced and out of a job — plunges into the investigation, breaking her promise to her children not to do police work again.

With her old flame Matt Miller in charge, local law enforcement are the ones who ask for her help in a case so unsettling that only she can solve it. But the deeper they dig, the deadlier it becomes for Matt and Eva Rae.

Just finishing up Book 3 - Love all of them - FBI profiler/detective type books

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've just started Open Secret. An FBI joint task force series book 1.
I'm only 10% into this but wow. It's touching into how Russia and others can tap into video games to control the minds of our kids to tear the country apart inside out. ...so it has got my attention. Anxious to see where it leads.
This was a freebie if you have Amazon Prime (is there anyone who does not have prime?)
By freebie I mean prime allows you to check out up to 10 books on the prime reading list. A very limited selection but I've got some good ones from there. You can keep it as long as you want can only have 10 checked out at a time.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've just started Open Secret. An FBI joint task force series book 1.
I'm only 10% into this but wow. It's touching into how Russia and others can tap into video games to control the minds of our kids to tear the country apart inside out. ...so it has got my attention. Anxious to see where it leads.
This was a freebie if you have Amazon Prime (is there anyone who does not have prime?)
By freebie I mean prime allows you to check out up to 10 books on the prime reading list. A very limited selection but I've got some good ones from there. You can keep it as long as you want can only have 10 checked out at a time.

By "check out", you mean electronically, right?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have Prime. I also caved and signed up for Kindle Unlimited. It was a 4 month deal for $4.99/mo., cancel at any time. Of course, it's going to go up to the regular price after the 4 months.

I'll have to check out Open Secret. Love FBI joint task force books.

Reactions: Doc

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure he means electronically. Using your library card from your local library on an electronic device gives you free access to a lot of new books too. My library is probably really pitiful compared to the library that you have access to, but I still get lots of book from there.

If you just want to try a Kindle and then really hate it, you can return it and get every penny of your money back.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Lee
Yep, Cooksie is correct. 99% of what I read is electronically on my phone and laptop. Always have the phone with me so never a dull moment. Even when no internet I can still read whatever book I'm reading at the time. Kindle app runs on my phone and on the laptop so I can read a book and sync the page automatically between the two devices.

Amazon Kindle Prime allows you up to 10 at a time. Once you have 10 on your device you have to click to return one before you can load a new one on your device (I'm old so I call that check out another book).

I also use Kindle to read library e-books. I use Libby to select what book or books I want. Give me a lot of variety for free. At the library most times I have to get in line for the better books. Maybe a month or two wait. Can't beat the price though. And I never step foot in the library. With Covid19 it seems safer to read all books electronically.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep, Cooksie is correct. 99% of what I read is electronically on my phone and laptop.

I'm not horribly old-fashioned in most respects, but I absolutely love tangible books. My grandmother was a librarian, I worked in my town library all of high school, and I'm the volunteer librarian at my town's Senior Center. Libraries and book-books are in my genes and in my blood! I have a half dozen library cards, I order discount books through Abebooks.com, and buy some at the Salvation Army store.

I tried reading a book on my cell phone and got maybe 2 chapters in before I hung it up. :(

For all that, I only read my books before bed and on whatever beach I'm on. And listen to them on CD in my car.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm like you, Lee.
I like holding a book in my hands and reading at night in bed.
It's a habit (hobby) I've had all my life.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not horribly old-fashioned in most respects, but I absolutely love tangible books. My grandmother was a librarian, I worked in my town library all of high school, and I'm the volunteer librarian at my town's Senior Center. Libraries and book-books are in my genes and in my blood! I have a half dozen library cards, I order discount books through Abebooks.com, and buy some at the Salvation Army store.

I tried reading a book on my cell phone and got maybe 2 chapters in before I hung it up. :(

For all that, I only read my books before bed and on whatever beach I'm on. And listen to them on CD in my car.
I was the same. Never ever thought I'd be able to do e-books. Live and learn. In bed the phone has a nice back light perfect for reading, not to bright. It's lighter to hold but best of all, I have it with me all the time. That is the feature I like best. Easy to carry and get to. Plus strangers can't see the title of the book I'm reading. No dumb conversations or questions about it. LOL

edit to add: Maybe free books are the best of all, and getting library books without going in the library. So many advantages. But ....not the same as holding the book in your hands. I got over that.

I've tried audio books in the car and they are semi okay at times. I find the voice in my head when reading is so much better than the voice reading to me that I much prefer to read than to be read to with an audio book.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Just finished this:

Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Taylor Jenkins Reid
Really good ratings on Amazon
If you can't understand or read about LGBTQ, it's not a book for you.
Big surprise at the end

"Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just finished this:

Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Taylor Jenkins Reid
Really good ratings on Amazon
If you can't understand or read about LGBTQ, it's not a book for you.
Big surprise at the end

"Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?"

This sounds good, Cooksie!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Open Secret. An FBI joint task force series book 1.
I'm only 10% into this but wow. It's touching into how Russia and others can tap into video games to control the minds of our kids to tear the country apart inside out.
I'm about 75% into this, and it is scaring the hell out of me. Following your social media ???, terrorists, and Russia....had to put it down for a while.

Finished this one too: Eva Rae book #5, I think
It's about swatting. I didn't even know what swatting was until I read this book. The gaming communities are getting very scary. Swatting is supposed to be a prank, but some gamers have taken it over the top of a prank.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm about 75% into this, and it is scaring the hell out of me. Following your social media ???, terrorists, and Russia....had to put it down for a while.
Yep, I agree. I had to put it down. I own it so it can wait. A library book came available so I snatched it up.
Another FBI series. Mercy 4th in Atlee Pine series by David Baldacci. A true page turner. :D

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had to put it down. I own it so it can wait.
I finished it. With all that's going on with Russia right now, the psychological warfare aspect of the book is pretty creepy. The ending is good, and everything works out. It's SCI-FI, so whatever. The author is so good that you have to keep reminding yourself that it's SCI-FI.