Uncle Big John's Peach Cobbler

Johnny West

This is what I normally do and got it from Saveur magazine - it the best I've had.

Peach Cobbler

SERVES 6

Cook Velma Willett, who sometimes makes this cobbler with a combination of fresh and canned peaches (I add extra.), likes to serve her home-made vanilla ice cream on the side, not on top, ''so you don't ruin all that crunchy crust.''

2 29-oz. cans pitted peach halves in syrup, drained and sliced (I use Elberta.)
1 cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 cups flour
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
12 tbsp. margarine, cut into pieces
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Put peaches and 1/2 cup of the sugar into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, mix together cornstarch and 2 tbsp. water in a small bowl, then add to peaches and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer peaches and thickened juices to an 8'' x 8'' baking dish, and set aside.

2. Sift together flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the light brown sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, work margarine into flour until it resembles coarse meal. Spread topping evenly over peach filling and pat down firmly with the palms of your hands and your fingers, smoothing out the top. Sprinkle topping with the remaining tbsp. of sugar and the cinnamon.

3. Bake cobbler in oven until crust is golden brown and filling bubbles, about 40 minutes. Set aside to cool briefly before serving with whipped cream or ice cream (on the side), if you like.

This is one I made awhile back. I'll do this recipe this weekend.

file_4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Mama's recipe is good also. It's posted on this forum.

Johnny West

I did the recipe with lavender this evening.
Luckily I had some lavender I recently both
to make a herbes de province for a friend.
I've not eaten any but will later. It was quick
and easy to make and not a lot of clean up.

I'll have a money shot later.

IMG_6255.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6260.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

Thanks Sherm, it is good but next time will do the same concept but use the topping I'm used to but cut it back a bit. The peaches are so sweet they do not need a lot of sugar and the lavender is pungent but when baked could hardly tell it was there. :unsure:

Johnny West

My girl and I are going to make peach cobbler this afternoon and will use Velma's recipe. I accidentally got white peaches, which I've not been pleased with, and will use those with an added can of Lady Elberta peaches. It should be a nice mix, I think. I'll have pictures tonight.

Johnny West

The peach cobbler just went in the oven. My helper was excellent but the cook got distracted and forgot to add a half cup of sugar to the topping. We'll see if anyone notices. The white peaches were on the soft side but should be ok.

IMG_6412.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

She's a chip off the old block.

IMG_6413.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6416.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great that you are teaching your little ones to help you cook, Johnny!

Cobbler looks delicious!

Lee

Johnny West

She's wanted to help since last Thanksgiving. After I was done she wanted me to make cookies but I had dinner to fix and nothing left in my tank.

Johnny West

I didn't know where to put this so will include it in my cobbler thread.

My son made these the other day for a catering job. He loves to bake but it's not his specialty. Sometimes if he doesn't make the desserts they wouldn't get done.

11220941_10204520266834869_4543290937047124610_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]