Traditional Mincemeat

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Johnny West's post about the mincemeat pie that his wife made for Thanksgiving got me researching.

Evidently, most modern mincemeat recipes no longer include meat or beef suet. But it sounds intriguing to me.

So, some day when I have absolutely nothing else to do, I'd like to try a much scaled-down version of something like this one.

Lee

Best Traditional Mincemeat​

INGREDIENTS​

• 1 pound (450 grams) finely chopped beef steak , (optional but HIGHLY recommended, otherwise use an extra 1 1/2 cups raisins or currants) **Use a well-marbled cut so it will be tender after the long cooking time; if the cut is lean it will become over-cooked and tough
  • Note: Traditionally made with beef or lamb and can also be made with wild game
  • 1 1/4 cups (190 grams) raisins
  • 1 1/4 cups (190 grams) currants
  • 1/2 cup (80 grams) golden raisins
  • 2 cups finely chopped tart apple
  • 7 ounces (200 grams) shredded beef suet (you can also ask your local butcher for fresh beef suet ground through a fine meat grinder)
  • 2 cups (450 grams) packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons candied lemon peel
  • 2 tablespoons candied orange peel
  • STRONGLY recommend using Homemade Candied Citrus Peel (click link for recipe)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons (25 grams) finely chopped blanched almonds
  • 1 lemon, its zest and juice
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 2 tablespoons brandy
  • 2 tablespoons dark rum

INSTRUCTIONS​

• Combine all ingredients except for the brandy and rum in a medium-sized pot and slowly bring to a simmer to prevent scorching. Reduce the heat to LOW and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, more towards the end to prevent burning. (If the liquid reduces too soon and the mincemeat starts to stick/scorch on the bottom, add a little bit of apple juice or water.) Stir in the brandy and rum. (Note: If you prefer to have the alcohol cooked out, add them at the same time as the other ingredients.)
  • Spoon the hot mincemeat into sterilized jars (spooning it in the jar while hot will ensure the suet rises to the top to create a layer of fat). As the mixture cools the suet will harden, creating a seal to help preserve the mincemeat. *If you're including the beef be sure to refrigerate the mincemeat. If you're storing it for more than a couple of weeks follow the directions in the blog post for pressure canning the mincemeat for longer-term storage.

See blog post for additional ways of storing your mincemeat.
  • Makes about 1 quart. Feel free to double, triple, etc, as needed.
  • Use this mincemeat to make Homemade Mince Pies! (click link for recipe)
  • Note: Mincemeat is traditionally stored for several months before using to allow time for the flavors to deepen, however this mincemeat is also delicious eaten within just a few days.

NOTES

Note: Another way to make mincemeat is to skip the cooking process and to pack the raw mixture directly into sterilized jars and store in the fridge for at least 2 days and up to 2 weeks (be sure to use the freshest meat) and then to cook the mixture directly into the pies. If you're planning on storing the mincemeat for a longer period of time, follow the instructions for cooking it. My preference is to cook the mixture either way because it brings out the flavors of the ingredients, releasing the oils of the spices and melding the flavor together.

What To Do With the Top Layer of Hardened Suet: When you use the mincemeat you can mix a little of that top layer of suet into the mincemeat - if I use any it's only a little bit as the mincemeat already has suet mixed throughout it. You can also reserve and use the suet for other purposes (use this wonderfully flavored suet in other pastries in place of butter or plain suet), or just discard it. Note: If you're going to use your mincemeat soon after making it instead of storing it long-term, you still need to use the suet when making this recipe. The purpose of the suet is not only to preserve the mincemeat for long-term storage. Not all of the suet rises to the top, much of it remains mixed in with the mincemeat and adds flavor, acts as a binder, and contributes an important texture element to the pies you'll be making with the mincemeat.

Johnny West

A few years ago I did make a traditional mincemeat pie using beef and beef suet.
I misread and added twice the amount of suet and clear fat oozed from the pie. I
mopped it up with paper towels the best I could. It tasted good but no one else
would eat it and never made it again.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A few years ago I did make a traditional mincemeat pie using beef and beef suet.
I misread and added twice the amount of suet and clear fat oozed from the pie. I
mopped it up with paper towels the best I could. It tasted good but no one else
would eat it and never made it again.

Well, I'm not sure I would like it, but I'm intrigued. It's not the meat and suet that's off-putting to me, it's the cloves, allspice and mace - eek!

Lee

Johnny West

The pie came out good. It was heavy on the cloves and she added cinnamon to counter.

0BA2375D-9BE5-41E0-BCDE-DC1C9B0A3DAF.jpeg
19659EF3-7BA2-4106-90F3-A84B32A733F4.jpeg