Souper Bowl Party

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Last night friends of mine had their third annual Souper Bowl Party, done up for charity with the recipient being the Naples Wellfit Girls Program. Chef Bill the home owner presented about a dozen different soup varieties and several others were brought by guests.

One of the hits was Peanut Butter Soup and I'll testify that it was excellent as well as unusual.

Attachments

• s 01.jpg
    s 01.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 124
  • s 02.jpg
    s 02.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 128
  • s 06.jpg
    s 06.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 125
  • s 09.jpg
    s 09.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 133
  • s 03.jpg
    s 03.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 129

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Peanut Butter Soup...Interesting, I've never had it, but now you've got me wanting to try it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Neither have I, but I'm just too afraid to try it, thinking that it might not taste good to me! :ohmy:

Leni

Sounds like a soup version of that Tai dish, grilled chicken dipped into a peanut sauce.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Are you talking about hummous? Made from chick peas, garlic & peanut butter?

Last edited:

Leni

As a belly dancer familar with Middle Eastern food I can tell you that hummous is made from chick peas, seasame seeds and oil with lemon juice and garlic. No peanut butter at all.

I'm not sure how to spell it but I'm thinking of sate. It is chicken or beef strips marinated and then grilled. It is dipped in a peanut sauce.

Leni

Here is a recipe that you can adaapt.

MAKES ABOUT 35 SIX-INCH SKEWERS
1 3/4 pounds, top sirloin – sliced very thin, into “ribbons”
4 tablespoons, vegetable oil
2 large cloves, garlic – minced
2 large tomatoes – peeled and chopped (may substitute canned tomatoes)
1/2 cup, chunky peanut butter
1 cup, beef broth or bouillon
1/2 teaspoon, salt (taste for salt first, if canned broth is used)
1/2 teaspoon, crushed dried red pepper flakes
If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for several hours, or overnight, before using – so they won’t burn up when grilling.
Heat oil and sauté garlic over low heat, until garlic is soft but not brown. Add all remaining ingredients, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Thread the skewers with the meat in a wavy “ribbon” style. Marinate the meat in the sauce for two hours or more.
Grill skewered beef over medium-hot coals about 5 minutes, turning once (that’s the tastiest way). OR: Skewers may be baked in preheated 450 degree oven for 5 minutes. Do not overcook. May be served alone, or accompanied by the following dipping sauce.
COOK’S NOTE: Bristol Farms will cut sirloin beautifully for this dish. Ask the butcher to cut it very thin “like sukiyaki” – then you slice each piece in half lengthwise, then once cross-wise to make four “ribbons” from each slice. Bristol also carries the chili paste and the coconut milk called for in the sauce recipe (of course).

PEANUT SAUCE

Makes about 1 1/2 cups
1/4 cup, peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
1 small onion – finely chopped
2 large cloves, garlic – minced
2 teaspoons, curry powder
1 teaspoon, chili paste (also called “Sambal” – sold with Asian foods) OR: substitute 1/2 teaspoon, crushed dried red pepper flakes
1/2 cup, canned coconut milk
1/4 cup, creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons, fresh-squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons, white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons (packed), light brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick – 3” long
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons, finely chopped dry-roasted peanuts (plus extra, for garnish)
1/4 cup, boiling water*
2 teaspoons, chopped fresh basil or cilantro leaves for garnish and (optional) chopped peanuts
Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic over low heat until soft but not brown (about 5 minutes). Add the curry powder and chili paste, and continue to cook to develop flavors. Stir in the coconut milk, then all remaining ingredients through the bay leaf, blending well.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, excellent event and terrific photos!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Lee

Leni

There should be more events like this. It doesn't have to be soup just a great idea for a party that raises funds for a worthy cause.